Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OnDemand super fast on HR44, slow on HR24

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

AHHH this is all "Watch Now" OnDemand.

It does seem to be the 24, "but" a watch now gets recorded, so what might help is does the recording when played later have the same problems in the same places?

possibly...on more than one of the occasions where the 24 went haywire i skipped backwards to the point where the playback froze, and it did indeed freeze up at exactly the same spot again (and in this case, there was plenty of buffer available...i checked that too to make sure).  i haven't tried yet checking to see if the playback would freeze at the same spot on the genie...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

alright, it actually seems as if it's getting worse.  is there any way to fix this other than replace the HR24?  at this point, "on demand" is pretty much useless on the HR24, it takes 5-10 minutes before i have enough of a program downloaded to watch without buffering/skipping...and that's for just a 30 minute show.

#23 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

is it possible the connector is what's causing this?  when the installer came, he replaced my keystone jacks with barrel connectors but he left them just running through a hole in the wall...so when he left, i put the keystones back in.  could the connectors be causing problems?

i don't think this is necessarily the issue, considering the minis work and i still had issues when i plugged the HR24 in via ethernet, but i'm curious...

#24 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Bump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#25 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

is it possible the connector is what's causing this?  when the installer came, he replaced my keystone jacks with barrel connectors but he left them just running through a hole in the wall...so when he left, i put the keystones back in.  could the connectors be causing problems?

i don't think this is necessarily the issue, considering the minis work and i still had issues when i plugged the HR24 in via ethernet, but i'm curious...

The only way to answer this is for you to put the connections back like the tech wired it and see if that fixes the problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#26 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,922 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

VOS could tell us more if you post the part number but it could easily insert too much loss.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

VOS could tell us more if you post the part number but it could easily insert too much loss.

If the Phy levels and mesh posted earlier are with the keystone jacks, then they're not causing a problem.

Perhaps swamping receivers/locations might show which is the problem.

"If one follows the logic" posted in the thread, it suggests it's the 24. 

A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

If the Phy levels and mesh posted earlier are with the keystone jacks, then they're not causing a problem.
Perhaps swamping receivers/locations might show which is the problem.
"If one follows the logic" posted in the thread, it suggests it's the 24.

does this mean I need to call DirecTV and see about getting it replaced? I'm hesitant to do that because I replaced a crappy old slow HR23 with this and paid for it myself from solid signal to make sure I got a 24...

Are there any other troubleshooting measures you want me to try?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Edited by matty8199, 19 June 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

does this mean I need to call DirecTV and see about getting it replaced? I'm hesitant to do that because I replaced a crappy old slow HR23 with this and paid for it myself from solid signal to make sure I got a 24...

Early in this thread, I mentioned my experience that was similar and "fixed mine" by using a CCK instead of the Genie for internet access.

A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

Early in this thread, I mentioned my experience that was similar and "fixed mine" by using a CCK instead of the Genie for internet access.

will they give me one for free with a genie already installed? I'd rather not throw money at it if I'm not 100% sure it will fix the problem...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:25 AM

will they give me one for free with a genie already installed? I'd rather not throw money at it if I'm not 100% sure it will fix the problem...

:shrug:

A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

I'm not trying to be rude, and the honest answer to this question is no, because it implies I have some vested interest in this.

To answer this question:

"Are there any other troubleshooting measures I can try?"

Within the constrains you've expressed, My last suggestion would be to connect ethernet to the 24 and see what it does.

With the Genie also connected to your router, MRV will be through your home network, and you can compare your Watch On performance equally between your Genie & HR24.

A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

Reboot the 24 when you connect Ethernet to it directly.

#34 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Reboot the 24 when you connect Ethernet to it directly.

already tried that...no luck.  i haven't yet tried hard-wiring them both, but i can't imagine the results would be different from when i had the genie on wifi and the HR24 hard-wired.

Edited by matty8199, 20 June 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'm not trying to be rude, and the honest answer to this question is no, because it implies I have some vested interest in this.

To answer this question:

"Are there any other troubleshooting measures I can try?"

Within the constrains you've expressed, My last suggestion would be to connect ethernet to the 24 and see what it does.

With the Genie also connected to your router, MRV will be through your home network, and you can compare your Watch On performance equally between your Genie & HR24.

is having them both hard-wired via ethernet that much different from when i had the genie on wifi and the HR24 on ethernet?

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

is having them both hard-wired via ethernet that much different from when i had the genie on wifi and the HR24 on ethernet?

It shouldn't be but frankly there just isn't much more to try.

When I used my Genie as "the gateway" for my HR24, the Genie had no problems with OnDemand, but the HR24 did.

Taking the Genie out of the loop, and going back to my WCCK for internet to the DECA network resolved the problems with the HR24.

Running the 24 off ethernet "should be" the same thing.

A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

interesting thing i've just noticed...it has gotten better lately in that it's not just completely freezing up, but it still buffers like crazy.  however, i did notice just now when trying to watch an episode of silicon valley on the HR24 - about 3 seconds in, it stopped to buffer.  the buffering message popped up on the screen...BUT, the little red bar at the bottom was long enough that there was more room for it to keep playing.  then, a split second later, the red bar dropped back to where the current time marker was...

this leads me to believe that it is the same problem VOS has been talking about, where the genie isn't being a good server to the rest of the network...would you agree?

#38 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

@VOS, let me make sure i understand this idea correctly before i go throwing money at it...

step 1) i pick up an old DECABB1MR0 from ebay, or a wireless CCK from amazon (although since i have ethernet everywhere in the house, there's really no reason to do this...right?

step 2) connect it to my wired network behind the genie (or in my closet at the router?  if i connect it behind the genie how do i get the coax to the genie?)

step 3) disconnect ethernet from genie

step 4) reboot all receivers

after doing that, i should be running everything on the coax network from the deca adapter...right?  if so, i might give that a shot...$15 or so (what i've seen the old deca adapters going for on ebay) is alright if it ends up not working (although that's why i'm considering the wireless CCK from amazon, since their return policy is awesome and i can always send it back if it doesn't work)...

#39 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Amazon even has the latest DECA with power supply for 8.25.

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

@VOS, let me make sure i understand this idea correctly before i go throwing money at it...

step 1) i pick up an old DECABB1MR0 from ebay, or a wireless CCK from amazon (although since i have ethernet everywhere in the house, there's really no reason to do this...right?

step 2) connect it to my wired network behind the genie (or in my closet at the router?  if i connect it behind the genie how do i get the coax to the genie?)

step 3) disconnect ethernet from genie

step 4) reboot all receivers

after doing that, i should be running everything on the coax network from the deca adapter...right?  if so, i might give that a shot...$15 or so (what i've seen the old deca adapters going for on ebay) is alright if it ends up not working (although that's why i'm considering the wireless CCK from amazon, since their return policy is awesome and i can always send it back if it doesn't work)...

Ethernet to the Genie, and ethernet to the HR24, "should be" the same as removing the ethernet from the Genie and adding a DECA bridge to your router.

I didn't go the ethernet route as I had a WCCK, so I just went back to using it instead of the Genie WiFi for the bridging to my router.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...