Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OnDemand super fast on HR44, slow on HR24

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

alright, i'll try that first...but assuming that doesn't work, do i have the rest of the equation right if i want to try the CCK just to make sure i've tried everything?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

alright, i'll try that first...but assuming that doesn't work, do i have the rest of the equation right if i want to try the CCK just to make sure i've tried everything?

yep

A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Both connected via Ethernet, same problem...the 24 does fail a test complaining about being "connected via Ethernet but receivers found on the coax network" or something like that though. Do I need to resolve that before concluding my HR24 sucks? If so, how?

Also note: whole home is not working. I can't see recordings on the genie...

Note 2: this is just ridiculously slow. Its been downloading a 30 min show for around 10 mins and is only at 17% ( bar is still red ). My internet is faster than this...for some reason the 24 is just not using the bandwidth it has available to it right now.

note 3: ran upstairs and played the same exact episode on the genie...no skips at all.  same amount of download time, and i'm at almost double the downloaded percentage as the HR24.

Edited by matty8199, 27 June 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

...suddenly whole home works. The error on system test is still there though.

This is maddening.

#45 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

...suddenly whole home works. The error on system test is still there though.

This is maddening.

On the 24, reset the network defaults, and then reboot.

Give it some time and then check/test it.

If you're still having problems the only thing I can think to do next is try another HR24.

A.K.A VOS

#46 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:20 AM

On the 24, reset the network defaults, and then reboot.
Give it some time and then check/test it.
If you're still having problems the only thing I can think to do next is try another HR24.

I ordered a first gen wired CCK from amazon...we'll see if that works I guess. It was only $17 and I can return it if not...

#47 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

new information:  just thought of this (don't know why i hadn't thought of it before) - my router w/ dd-wrt has bandwidth monitoring...so i decided to load that up and do an experiment.  went to the genie and went into hbo on demand, silicon valley episode 1...didn't even use "watch now," just went into the thing and told it to record.  checked the bandwidth monitor...hovered around a 20Mbps average, with occasional spikes to 30 and occasional drops to around 15.  i didn't see it go lower than 15.

same thing on the HR24 - same episode of silicon valley, same way of going into it and telling it to download.  watching bandwidth monitor...hovering right around a 7.5Mbps average, occasional spikes to 10-12, occasional drops to 3-4.  has never gone above 12.

so, the download rate on the HR24 isn't even getting to what my drop-out rate was on the genie, and the average speed is less than half of what it was on the genie.  this is why i can't get anything to play now without constant freeze-ups and buffering...the question now is why the hell is it doing this?  shouldn't they be equal?  is there something different about the HR24 that would cause this?

my wired CCK should be here tomorrow...if that doesn't fix it, i guess i have no choice but to have directv send a tech out.  i have the protection plan at the moment so it won't cost me anything, but it's annoying...

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:42 AM

This is very interesting because this is the first time anyone has seen OnDemand above about 9 Mb/s.

If you search the forum, you'll find "countless threads" about how OnDemand doesn't use the bandwidth the user has available.

It would be worth looking into this more as "now it looks like" there isn't anything wrong with your HR24 and it's the Genie that is able to do what the HR2x can't.

I've changed the topic to reflect this change.

A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

alright, more interesting observations...

1) connected the CCK to my network, have both the genie and HR24 running on that now.  no noticeable improvements.  genie is still downloading at the same speed, as is the 24.

2) this is the confusing one...all along, i've been testing with episodes of silicon valley - since that's where i noticed the issue.  for S&G, i decided to try a different hbo series (john oliver's show) to see if i had the same problem...and i don't - play now works with no buffers.  here's the kicker...silicon valley is downloading FASTER (based on the rate shown on my router) than john oliver's show, yet it skips and oliver doesn't.

this makes no sense to me.  why would that happen?

Edited by matty8199, 29 June 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

You're wandering way off the range by now, and as such I'm not sure what's going on.

With the CCK, you have both the Genie & HR24 being fed through a common point.

If they're acting the same, then this suggests "some normality".

A wildcard may be the OnDemand recording itself, so comparing others should help to weed out a bad OnDemand file on DirecTV's end. 

A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

You're wandering way off the range by now, and as such I'm not sure what's going on.

With the CCK, you have both the Genie & HR24 being fed through a common point.

If they're acting the same, then this suggests "some normality".

A wildcard may be the OnDemand recording itself, so comparing others should help to weed out a bad OnDemand file on DirecTV's end. 

i have an old HR20 that i haven't deactivated yet, maybe i'll hook that up tomorrow and give that a shot to see if it acts the same as the 24...

#52 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

I've noticed HBO and Cinemax on demand takes longer by far than most other on demand channels.
I have 30 mbps service and a sopranos episode takes longer to download than the show is long.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...