Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRT Question? Need new Equip. - 3 ways to go

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Subsciber since 1999. Been on auto pay for many years.

I had four receivers and an old sling box - multiple issues now:

- 508 - completely died (removed from account)

- VIP 211 - reboots every 5 to 20 minutes

- VIP 622 - reboots whenever attempting to tune to an antenna channel

- VIP 622 - No problems

- Slingbox PRO - power issues-twice thought it was dead after power hits, but came back to life

My current bill is $120.99. Amerca's Top 250, BB @ Home, $17 DVR rcvr, $7 DVR svc, $7 HD Rcvr.

I would prefer my bill not increase by more than $10.

I think I will stay with the five tuner set up.

Option 1 - replace the two bad receivers with the same models. No additional cost, but will probably get a new slingbox 500 at $300.

Option 2 - replace the 211 with a 211 and replace the 622 with a Sling Loaded 922. What would it cost to upgrade one receiver? What would my bill increase to?

Option 3 - Hopper with sling/Super Joey/Joey. What would the equipment cost? What would my bill increase to?

Thanks for any inputs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

I would recommend against any option that involved the ViP922. It is a quirky box.

It would be much easier to make a tailored recommendation if you told us how many independent viewings you want. What you had isn't always the best indicator of what you want.

If you think you might be a fan of DISHOnline, I'd suggest a Hopper with Sling or a ViP722 and a Sling adapter.

You may be a candidate for a dual-hopper setup depending on how many views you need.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

I originally was going to make option 2 be a 722 with a sling adapter, but when I checked the website, I didn't even see the 722 listed, so I wasn't sure if that was a viable option or not. I could make that "Option 2a", I suppose.

In order to compare costs, I am sticking to the 5 tuner set up. Which is why I may have to wait for a DIRT team memeber to respond, since the equipment costs may be tied to customer standing.

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Best to PM DIRT if you want a response.

spam firewall