Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Dish-Receiver - Trees prohibit getting most worthwhile channels

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SeaGail73

SeaGail73

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

First, I'm a definite rookie, but would like some basic questions answered if anyone can help.

1.  Can you get an HD Dish and Receiver, but point the dish where the old dish was pointing (standard definition)?  We had someone come out and they said there's no way we can get HD signals on most decent channels.

2.    If pointing it for maximum reception above (even though not pointing at HD satellites), will the HD receiver still work fine (standard def channels).

So many features are only available on the HD Receiver.  I was thinking about DirecTV Everywhere as an option to be able to see some of the HD channels in HD, where the direct feed from our satellite would not permit that due to the tree issues, and no, we are NOT going to cut trees down - we live here for a reason.

Thank you very much.

Gail in the Pacific NW

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,874 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

If you just want SD linear channels you don't need the HD dish, you can just get an HD DVR and activate it with HD service and have access to HD on demand content from many networks. You can also get an AM21 and provided you have decent OTA reception get HD locals.

Although if you have tree issues with the 99 and 103 slots, which are right next to the 101 slot, there's a chance you'll lose 101 if the trees grow any further.

Edited by KyL416, 06 June 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Who came out and told you that? When?

The HD satellites are very close in the sky to the SD satellite.  Check out http://www.dishpoint.com and you can view an aerial map of your location and see the line-of-sight to each of the satellites. For SD service, you need a clear shot to 101ºW.  For HD service you also need 99 and 103ºW, which are pretty close together in the sky.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Check out http://www.dishpoint.com and you can view an aerial map of your location and see the line-of-sight to each of the satellites.

I think you mean http://www.dishpointer.com/ -- other link just goes to a placeholder page.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#5 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

First, I'm a definite rookie, but would like some basic questions answered if anyone can help.

1.  Can you get an HD Dish and Receiver, but point the dish where the old dish was pointing (standard definition)?  We had someone come out and they said there's no way we can get HD signals on most decent channels.

2.    If pointing it for maximum reception above (even though not pointing at HD satellites), will the HD receiver still work fine (standard def channels).

So many features are only available on the HD Receiver.  I was thinking about DirecTV Everywhere as an option to be able to see some of the HD channels in HD, where the direct feed from our satellite would not permit that due to the tree issues, and no, we are NOT going to cut trees down - we live here for a reason.

Thank you very much.

Gail in the Pacific NW

1. an HD dish point the same way as the SD dish.

2. DirecTV tech can't install an HD receiver without having pristine signal to the appropriate satellites 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I think you mean http://www.dishpointer.com/ -- other link just goes to a placeholder page.

Oops. Thanks.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   SeaGail73

SeaGail73

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips.  With our massive evergreens, there never has been, nor will there ever be a pristine signal - all we ask is that when it's clear that at least we can get all the channels, which has always been possible in the past - just when it rains, lose many.   This is a very recent phenomenon.  I did notice a branch of a cherry tree full of leaves that might be blocking part of the dish itself.  If that's the only problem (plus perhaps tweaking the adjustment), maybe we'll be okay after all.  Now to see about contacting a tree trimmer - verrrrry tall cherry tree.

Thanks again.

Gail in the Pacific NW

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

If a tree branch and its leaves are blocking the signal, no amount of "dish tweaking" will help.  

#9 OFFLINE   SeaGail73

SeaGail73

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

DirecTV is so screwy.  There is a good company in Bremerton (Total Satellite) that has done good work for us in the past (with DirecTV, you never know what you're gonna get - one guy appeared rather inebriated or hung over one time). Anyway, he tried a commercial grade antenna and even that doesn't work sufficiently, and with no possibility of cable, he said he thought he might be able to mount the dish 6' higher and it would get above the trees.  The trees are dense, and even he said there's no way we can point a dish at the HD satellites and get anything we'd want - we really do have a narrow window.  Soooo, he offered to try that.  They talked to DirecTV  and then we did too and got reinstated with all the freebies; however, they said they had to send THEIR contractor out first (who of course would not get a line of sight) ... then Total Satellite could come out right behind him and do their thing.  Isn't that the stupidest thing you've ever heard of? Also they said we HAD to get an HD receiver, which is not true either.  Makes me wonder if we want to even try or stick with the indoor antenna which at least gets some reception.  There's a definitely lack of knowledge (or limited knowledge) when you talk to a representative!  Thanks for your input from before.  I will keep the board posted in case someone else has a similar issue.

#10 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

DirecTV is so screwy.  There is a good company in Bremerton (Total Satellite) that has done good work for us in the past (with DirecTV, you never know what you're gonna get - one guy appeared rather inebriated or hung over one time). Anyway, he tried a commercial grade antenna and even that doesn't work sufficiently, and with no possibility of cable, he said he thought he might be able to mount the dish 6' higher and it would get above the trees.  The trees are dense, and even he said there's no way we can point a dish at the HD satellites and get anything we'd want - we really do have a narrow window.  Soooo, he offered to try that.  They talked to DirecTV  and then we did too and got reinstated with all the freebies; however, they said they had to send THEIR contractor out first (who of course would not get a line of sight) ... then Total Satellite could come out right behind him and do their thing.  Isn't that the stupidest thing you've ever heard of? Also they said we HAD to get an HD receiver, which is not true either.  Makes me wonder if we want to even try or stick with the indoor antenna which at least gets some reception.  There's a definitely lack of knowledge (or limited knowledge) when you talk to a representative!  Thanks for your input from before.  I will keep the board posted in case someone else has a similar issue.

I am not sure I understand.  Who are you getting the equipment from? DirecTV or the tech from Total Satellite 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

...and even he said there's no way we can point a dish at the HD satellites and get anything we'd want - we really do have a narrow window.   ...  Also they said we HAD to get an HD receiver, which is not true either.  Makes me wonder if we want to even try or stick with the indoor antenna which at least gets some reception. 

I'm trying to read between the lines here. Are you currently a DirecTV customer? If so, I would guess/assume SD only with an 18" round dish. You want to upgrade your account? Or are you not a current customer trying to set up an account?

I do think DirecTV is still installing SD systems, but only for a few more days, so it may very well be true that you have to get an HD receiver (especially if you are a new customer).

There is no reason at all to get a multi-satellite dish if you are not getting HD service. Everything for SD in the Seattle market (which includes your area) comes on the 101 satellite, including locals.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with regard to the indoor antenna. That must just go directly to your TV set and have nothing to do with DirecTV service. If you have an SD receiver, it may go into the SD receiver, then come back out to the TV when the receiver is off, but does nothing with regard to what you get from DirecTV.

Any upgrade to an SD account would be to an HD account, so for that you would have to get the new dish, and new HD receivers.

With regard to having DirecTV come out first and not be able to get line of sight, then allowing a contractor to try, I don't know who told you that, but I seriously doubt that DirecTV would cover the cost of the contractor. The contractor may or may not want to come out unless they are providing equipment (new account or additions), in which case promos from DirecTV would most likely not apply.  You need to be careful here with regard to what you do, as you could end up paying more both initially, and ongoing.

#12 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Honestly, welcome to the limitation of satellite TV. It's a technology that requires a direct line of sight from the dish to the satellite. If you don't have that line of sight, you don't get signal. There's not much you can do short of cutting down trees, which you said isn't an option. 

To get creative, you could erect an antenna tower however many feet you need to clear the trees and mount the dish on the tower. You'd have to pay for and put up the tower, and you'd have to find an installer that's willing to climb the tower. That's an expensive solution, but about the only one I can come up with. 

#13 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

At our place up north we just cut the trees. New trees grow like crazy up there so we will never run out of trees.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

spam firewall