Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Disappointing Departure from Dish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BadCommand

BadCommand

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

Back nearly a year ago I was looking for an alternative to DirecTV and so tried Dish.  I have a large installation and was looking at suitable whole home alternatives and Dish looked somewhat like it's tech would fit the bill.  My interest over Direct was piqued by the Dish commercial skip, PTAT and integrated Sling technology for our travelling needs.  So went on board with Dish and leased 2 hoppers and 4 joeys- I also purchased an additional 2 joey's (which I realize never really belong to me) for my large family install.

Used the system for several months and, unfortunately with the tuner situation (only 3 per hopper) there was just no way to get the house split to avoid tuner conflicts- even with PTAT, it became apparent tuner conflicts were causing family conflicts and the configuration was just not working.  So I contacted Dish and received my ETF fee and instructions for equipment return.  I received boxes and returned the equipment- of course at my own shipping expense (less the 2 joeys that I was instructed NOT to return).  No other equipment was requested.

Later, I received an email indicating that Dish was short a joey and the LNB- yes the LNB- never mentioned previously by Dish, and by all accounts of other users on these forums because of the location of the LNB's install- never requested. So the new additional total was $150- $100 for the joey and $50 for the LNB  (my $450 ETF long since already paid).

So, I contacted Dish and the CS rep said that I had returned the wrong joey, but yes I had returned all 4, and they couldn't credit my account until they received the correct joey.  As for the LNB he agreed the charge was strange and would remove it and credit it back into my bank account..  I then confirmed the serial of the correct joey and have returned it, with proof of delivery from UPS.  And on a sadly humorous side note, when I asked that the incorrect joey be returned to me- I was told that it would be impossible to locate the unit and its return is just not possible.

After returning above equipment (which is acknowledged by Dish) to this date I have yet to see of any kind on the $150 they owe me (or really a net $250 if I include the other $100 joey which I'm sure they have happily deployed at someone else's residence.).

From what I've read elsewhere, this seems to a pretty common business practice for Dish- so I think it's important for this behavior to be called out. And no, I don't suspect I'll ever see the $150 (much less the right thing to do of $250) ever again. Just a general heads up- buyer beware.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

Why do they care which SN joey they get?

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm sorry but I would not let this go. They owe you the fee after you sent in the right Joey and if they won't return the other they owe you the price you paid for it. I'd right a letter to their upper end customer service rep and their CEO if needed. And if they never respond I'd take them to small claims and ask for damages of a couple hundred bucks for your wasted time.

Heck I wonder if you could file a theft complaint with the police. They have your property, acknowledge it's yours and they don't want it, and yet they also refuse to give it back. That is stealing isn't it?

#4 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

The Super Joey, that just recently came out, would of been your solution.  It would of given you 2 additional tuners, plus add an OTA tuner and you've got another tuner.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,790 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

The Super Joey, that just recently came out, would of been your solution.  It would of given you 2 additional tuners, plus add an OTA tuner and you've got another tuner.

He had two Hoppers. Are you suggesting two Hoppers and a Super Joey?

Hopefully DIRT or the president's office (whichever method the poster follows up through) can help with the issue of returning the wrong receiver. It was his error ... but I understand how it can be done if the serial numbers are not checked.

The LNB issue is an old one ... It helps if you tell DISH that the LNB is not assessable. That is when they usually waive the return of the LNB.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

Wasn't that many years ago an 83 year old friend of my parents was up on his roof attempting to re-aim his 110/119 dish at the behest of a DISH CSR tech.  He survived, and the real problem was he had dislodged a wire behind his receiver when vacuuming. Of course, I had to un-re-aim his dish, too.

Glad to hear DISH doesn't send folks up on the roof as often these days.

:coffee

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,790 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

... the real problem was he had dislodged a wire behind his receiver when vacuuming.

A "Check Switch" should have pointed that out. Run "Check Switch" (even a few years ago) and the receiver should report N/C if there is no connection or CONN if there is a connection but no signal. Do not save the results if the number of locations changes (unless one is trying to disconnect a satellite location from the system).

Hopefully the diagnostic script has been updated in the past few years.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:01 AM

Dish should really remove that LNB requirement for returning equipment, It's getting really old pretty fast,  Or face a potential lawsuit,  for those that don't know about fee being waived for that specific part.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

When you think about switching to DISH they offer you things like Commercial Skip, PTAT, and Integrated Sling technology......After you sign up with DISH they give you Hoppers and Joeys.......When you have Hoppers and Joeys you have tuner situations......When you have tuner situations it causes family conflicts......When you have family conflicts you have to terminate your DISH contract early......When you terminate your DISH contract early you get hit with a costly ETF and have to return the Hoppers and Joeys......After you return the Hoppers and Joeys DISH says they are short a Joey and want you to risk life and limb to retrieve the LNB...... Don't risk your life and limbs. Stay with DirecTV!  :sure:

• treecastle and mikeren1 like this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:13 AM

I can count the number of times I had tuner conflicts with the Hopper on one hand.  I can't count the number of times I wanted to inflict physical harm on someone for the insanely slow response of my DirecTV DVR.

Nobody's perfect.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

You kind of have to ding the thread starter here for returning the wrong Joeys...  If you have 4 leased ones and 2 that you own, it behooves you to keep that straight yourself.

The rest sounds like a Dish mess to resolve.  Dish has the right to their equipment... and if you send them the wrong equipment you might not get that stuff back... but they absolutely should have to rectify that to your satisfaction.  If you're done with Dish, maybe getting money for the owned equipment is your best bet anyway and it saves you the trouble of trying to sell them yourself.

I could see Dish thinking they have an "out" here since you sent them wrong equipment unsolicited... but they acknowledged receipt of the wrong equipment (so they can't say they didn't get them) and they required you to send back their Joeys... which you did... and they appear to acknowledge that... so legally, there's no leg for them to stand on and say anything since you did right by them in the end, and they need to handle that mixup somehow.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

Use Twitter to broadcast your gripes (though has to be in 140 character chunks). I've gotten the best resolution with giant companies when I tweet "not too angry" posts on the situation to the company and CEO and others.

Panasonic Viera VT-50
Denon AVR-3805
PS3 w/DNS-323 as Home Media Server

#13 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

Why didn't you just add a third Hopper if you where satisfied with the service, it would have been a lot cheaper than $450 for the ETF and all of your trouble?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

Protected By... spam firewall...And...