Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'Murder in the First' on TNT

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

I think a binge watch would probably be the best way to see it. I really liked it; it made me like Taye Diggs for the first time. I thought the Kathleen Roberston/Robinson character was starting to go somewhere and that her acting chops were shaping up, but then she sleepwalked through the last 4 eps. There was a lot of good storytelling here, but also a lot of mediocre story construction, meaning the show had a good story and kept my interest, but there were a lot of side trips that did not really go anywhere and did not really move the story along. I also don't think the final payoff was quite as clever as they hoped it might be.

Again, I would advise against hanging in there for the sake of finishing a story. Watch each ep and see if you are enjoying what happens "in the now". If you are expecting a large cumulative payoff at some point, you may be expecting more than the show can deliver. But it they renew it, I will still watch, because I did enjoy each ep "in the now". It was very professionally done and had a nice, comfortable feel that made me want to watch it when it popped up in the NP list. 3 out of 4 stars from me.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

There was about two hours worth of good story telling jammed into eight hours. One can watch the first two and last two hours and 'get' the entire series. The two hours spent on 'The Trial' was about as interesting as watching Marsha Clarke lead the CI techs through crime scene protocol!

The wrapup hour was not nearly as interesting as the writers thought it was - telegraphed all the way.

There are some interesting characters and it would probably be a successful series if they used a conventional one hour per episode format. Here there was not enough story for the length of time that was taken. There were way too many 'side trips' that went nowhere.

Edited by eakes, 12 August 2014 - 03:07 PM.

• Supramom2000 likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,200 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Totally agree on the watching first 2 and last 2!  That explains why I got so bored in the middle and was ready to bail.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

About the only thing proven by this program is that Bochco still has got it. I hope he produces more stuff, as he was the resident genius phenom about 20 years ago, then disappeared. Like Chris Carter.

And I agree, an episodic format more like Law & Order would probably be better, but it also would not be different. There have been way too many "Law & Order"-type procedurals in the last decade, most of them entitled Law & Order. I give them points for trying to be different.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#25 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

They could have told the story in six episode easily. If they needed to do it in ten they could have presented a better motivation for Blunt actions.

#26 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Started watching it tonight. Looking good, but it is slow. But I will watch all of it by end of tomorrow.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#27 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm down to the last two hours. Didn't find the middle to be overly slow, but then I'm watching it over just two days. And that does seem to aid the normal flow of the plot.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#28 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

From The Hollywood Reporter TNT Renews 'Murder in the First'.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#29 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Wonder if they keep to the format of just one crime?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

Protected By... spam firewall...And...