Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Veterans Discount???

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

There are so many organization that are giving veterans discounts IE ; Home Depot 10% and Verizon 15%.

Why is Directv NOT giving veterans a discount? 

Just asking?

Sorry for the error in Veterans. Dang sticky keyboard

Edited by dod1450, 12 June 2014 - 03:07 PM.

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,037 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Fixed the title for you.

As to the question, no idea. There are many places that do give veteran discounts, and many more that don't. Being a veteran (retired Army), I certainly do appreciate those places that do.

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

I shop at Home Depot and didn't know anything about a veteran's discount. In fact I've never heard of any vet's discount anywhere. I do get a senior discount at some places.

Edited by joed32, 14 June 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

I shop at Home Depot and din't know anything about a veteran's discount. In fact I've never heard of any vet's discount anywhere. I do get a senior discount at some places.

VeteransDiscounts.com is a good source of information for Veterans discounts.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Am I right that discounts generally don't apply to draftees, just volunteer? I'm not in that group, but Dad told me once that since he doesn't get a military ID card, he wouldn't qualify for discounts. He was in the Korea DMZ during Vietnam.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Am I right that discounts generally don't apply to draftees, just volunteer? I'm not in that group, but Dad told me once that since he doesn't get a military ID card, he wouldn't qualify for discounts. He was in the Korea DMZ during Vietnam.

Anyone who served honorably in the Armed Forces is a veteran. A Military ID card, Department of Veterans Affairs ID card, or DD Form 214 can be used to identify one's veteran status. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Odd. I know he's never been to a VA hospital, but not sure why he said that, since his discharge was honorable. Maybe he just didn't want to do paperwork :)

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

Home Depot's policy on Veteran's (Lowe's very similar):

All military personnel and veterans are eligible for a 10% discount at all The Home Depot store locations during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day.
Additionally, the 10% discount is available to active and reserve military personnel, retired or disabled veterans and their spouses or dependent children, every day, upon request.
To receive the everyday discount, we ask customers to present one of the following IDs to verify eligibility:

Common Access Card (CAC is a standard identification card issued to active duty and reserve personnel)
United States Uniformed Services Privilege and Identification Card:

Tan - Dependent of active duty member or retiree
Red - Retired reservist and reservist dependent
Blue - Retiree
A VA Medical Center “Veteran Identification Card” (it MUST state “Service Connected”)
The maximum for both 10% discounts is $500 on a single-receipt purchase at The Home Depot U.S. stores only and cannot be applied to installation products or services, Gift Cards, special buy appliances or in addition to any other offers. The discount is not available for online purchases.

If you are veteran and do not have a service connected disability, you are only eligible on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veteran's Day.

So not every Veteran every day.

#9 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

D* does not have any specific "additional" promo for veterans. There is a stipulation that if an active service member gets deployed overseas during the 24 month agreement, he/she is eligible to disconnect without a penalty. If looking for deals beyond the current national promo, there are many. D* has many authorized resellers that throw in extra savings, gift cards, airlines miles, etc. Typically, that kind of promo requires either calling a specific telephone number, or to sign up in person at their location.

Good luck!!

-=K=-

#10 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

So pretty much nothing unless you're active, retired, or have service related disability or have no insurance and need to use VA facilities you don't qualify.

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Three days a year you get something, which is better than no days.

I'm retired, so I get the discount with each purchase.

#12 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

My local Lowes gives the 10% discount "every" day, Home Depot only certain holidays.  Thus most vetrans around here only shop at Lowes.

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

My local Lowe's gives the 10% discount "every" day, Home Depot only certain holidays.  Thus most vetrans around here only shop at Lowes.

That is great that your local Lowe's does that. Our doesn't and it isn't Lowe's policy to do that.

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients. This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

http://www.lowes.com...ces _745829091_

Protected By... spam firewall...And...