Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Considering moving back to DirectTV for Sunday Ticket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

OK - so we have been remodeling a den and waiting until we were done to upgrade our 722/612/612 to a Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper, and Joey set up. I had DirectTV from 1995 to 2009 and only moved to Dish because in 2009 we moved, and DirecTV did not carry the local networks in HD (they do now.)

But one thing I really, really miss is NFL Sunday Ticket. I can't get my favorite team where we live now. Three years ago, I got around this by subscribing to Sunday Ticket on my PS3 and did that for two years. The quality was not great (obviously streaming Internet quality and not really high HD) but it was watchable. Last year Sony lost that deal with DTV and I got it in a bundle with EA's Madden Football game (coupon for streaming it on PC or iPad - just ran an HDMI to my 54" plasma.) This year it appears there will be no option to get Sunday Ticket other than DirectTV.

I'm not one of those folks with an emotive attachment to either company. I liked DirecTV when I had it, there were good and bad but it was good enough I never felt the need to leave until the move and locals issue. Likewise, while I've seen good and bad with Dish, I'd stay with it if I could get Sunday Ticket.

So - what I am trying to do is make sure I'm not going to regret the move back to DirecTV. I see from a question in the DTV forum that the Genie plus two remote IRDs gives me 5 tuners. Two Hoppers plus a Joey would give me more than that (I know I have to find a local installer to do that, as Dish seems to not want to install 2 Hoppers plus a Joey if you go direct through them.) The cost for their Xtra 205 package is a little less than the AT250 but they seem to have mostly the same channels that I care about. Other fees make DirectTV a slight bit more, but for the first year it would be a lot cheaper due to the deal they are offering to move back. Also, DirecTV will not charge me for the Genie + two remote IRDs or install, while it appears Dish wants to charge me a good amount for the upgrade.

So - is there anything else I'm missing in terms of data I need to consider as I decide what to do?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,582 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

If your decision is truly as phrased in the topic title... your desire for Sunday Ticket... then it seems to me there is no choice.  DirecTV has it, and it is highly unlikely Dish ever will given how the exclusive agreement keeps getting extended.

The only potential fly in the ointment would be IF the AT&T/DirecTV merger is stalled over anti-competitive issues and they had to consider losing something like Sunday Ticket as an exclusive to appear more friendly.  Outside of that happening, I see no reason to think Dish will get it because Dish isn't going to bid for exclusivity and as long as DirecTV is willing, they will keep it.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

OK - so we have been remodeling a den and waiting until we were done to upgrade our 722/612/612 to a Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper, and Joey set up. I had DirectTV from 1995 to 2009 and only moved to Dish because in 2009 we moved, and DirecTV did not carry the local networks in HD (they do now.)

But one thing I really, really miss is NFL Sunday Ticket. I can't get my favorite team where we live now. Three years ago, I got around this by subscribing to Sunday Ticket on my PS3 and did that for two years. The quality was not great (obviously streaming Internet quality and not really high HD) but it was watchable. Last year Sony lost that deal with DTV and I got it in a bundle with EA's Madden Football game (coupon for streaming it on PC or iPad - just ran an HDMI to my 54" plasma.) This year it appears there will be no option to get Sunday Ticket other than DirectTV.

I'm not one of those folks with an emotive attachment to either company. I liked DirecTV when I had it, there were good and bad but it was good enough I never felt the need to leave until the move and locals issue. Likewise, while I've seen good and bad with Dish, I'd stay with it if I could get Sunday Ticket.

So - what I am trying to do is make sure I'm not going to regret the move back to DirecTV. I see from a question in the DTV forum that the Genie plus two remote IRDs gives me 5 tuners. Two Hoppers plus a Joey would give me more than that (I know I have to find a local installer to do that, as Dish seems to not want to install 2 Hoppers plus a Joey if you go direct through them.) The cost for their Xtra 205 package is a little less than the AT250 but they seem to have mostly the same channels that I care about. Other fees make DirectTV a slight bit more, but for the first year it would be a lot cheaper due to the deal they are offering to move back. Also, DirecTV will not charge me for the Genie + two remote IRDs or install, while it appears Dish wants to charge me a good amount for the upgrade.

So - is there anything else I'm missing in terms of data I need to consider as I decide what to do?

Thanks

Get a genie and two Hi Definition DVRs and you have the same as two hoppers and a Joey only with directv's you'd be able to watch or record any nine channels you want anytime.

You can only record or watch up to any six channels at once in a two hopper system. The only way to get those other three is if four of the channels are on locals.

And that is total system across all three tvs of course for both systems.

That's about he only thing I see that you didn't mention.

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Get a genie and two Hi Definition DVRs and you have the same as two hoppers and a Joey only with directv's you'd be able to watch or record any nine channels you want anytime.

You can only record or watch up to any six channels at once in a two hopper system. The only way to get those other three is if four of the channels are on locals.

And that is total system across all three tvs of course for both systems.

That's about he only thing I see that you didn't mention.

While there are good reasons to consider your suggestion, it does come with a $199/HRxx upfront cost if he gets the Genie for free.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yes but I was simply pointing out there is a way to have as many tuners should he even need them. May not in reality I don't know. And he said dish was expensive to upgrade for him so.....

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,715 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

I see you have a thread in the DirecTV forum about this ... which is a much better place to discuss DirecTV service.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...