Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 4K UHD plans

DirecTV DTV 4k UHD

• Please log in to reply
2011 replies to this topic

#226 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

Has the price gone down any yet. I am waiting for it to get to Costco. The c-seed tv that is.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 30 June 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#227 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,797 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Has the price gone down any yet. I am waiting for it to get to Costco. The c-seed tv that is.

Last time I checked, it was 500,000 euros!

/steve

#228 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,869 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Wonder how many knots of wind that thing can take? And can you put solar panels on the back? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#229 OFFLINE   dcn66100

dcn66100

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

Has anyone mentioned that direct v is already testing 4k 60fps via rvu to a Samsung 4k tv they had a demo when I went to directv hq it was stored on hr44 genie with beta software.I did not sing a nda it was for google io extended.

#230 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,788 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Well if that's the goal you need a TV outside by the BBQ IMHO. Maybe try this one.... And it won't even matter if it's 4k or not. :lol:

www.cseed.tv

Be sure and watch the video of it that's at the bottom of the page. ;)

Wow!  I don't know what else to say.  Wow!

Rich

#231 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,788 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

I bought a 50" 4K LED, Samsung HU8550, mainly for my wife, to replace a 6 year old Samsung plasma which suddenly failed.  She likes it.  She uses it to watch DirecTV 1080i stuff, mostly, and for that, I'd put picture quality as roughly what one could expect from 1080p blu-ray (though there is no blu-ray player attached).  That is, it's good, but not necessarily better than a 1080p set would have been, resolution-wise.  I doubt that my wife will ever be interested in watching 4k sources.

Off axis viewing is poor.

I have its brightness control turned down to give a plasma-like black level at the cost of some lost shadow detail in night scenes.

That alone would be a deal killer.

Rich

#232 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,788 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Last time I checked, it was 500,000 euros!

Or only $683,992.  You really have to be rich to afford one of them.  Really rich.  Really, really rich.

Rich

#233 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Or only $683,992.  You really have to be rich to afford one of them.  Really rich.  Really, really rich.

Rich

When are you planning on getting one. :)

#234 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

One has to wonder about 4K given the 3D "promise" only to fall to limited avialable media. Sure it works, looks incredible at times but limited media and glasses that are uncomfortable.

4K hits bandwidth heavy, limited media, and I suspect its entry level costs will remain prohibitive to the masses. IF it catches on then service providers may invest in it but I think considering the fizzle in 3D there may be a reluctance to blast forward till a more assured return on such investments exist.

Personally, I am most happy at 1080p and frankly the 1080i rerendered on a 1080p 120hz display is pretty darned good. 4K is like a high quality glossy photograph stunning but unnatural for the most part.

Don "just blabering here" Bolton 

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

#235 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

However, at the time Sony was the only one with actual 4K content (4K Media Player) so I took a shot. What I have experienced since is an incredible picture, with deep black levels and vibrant colors. Zero fast motion blur, zero light bleed. Just a jaw dropping picture. That goes for 4K content as well as 1080p and 1080i. Everyone that walks in my house is amazed at the PQ of both sets.

Deep black levels, vibrant colors, zero fast motion blur and zero light bleed are not a property of 4K, they're a property of the LCD panel. You have a TV with a high quality high end LCD panel that happens to be 4K, but those properties can all be attained in an HDTV. And are, if you buy the very high end LCD HDTVs. But few of us do, because they cost so much more. As a result, there are many many more low end HD TVs so when comparing to a high end TV the difference is noticeable.

If you had bought a low end 4K TV, like one of those 50" Seikis that have been selling for under $1000 for well over a year now, you would not have the same experience, because it is a cheap TV that happens to be 4K. Read the reviews for it, no one praises it for the qualities you're praising your 4K TV for.

In a few years when all TVs are 4K, it'll be like the same situation with HDTVs today. There will be some high end models with great pictures like yours, and many more low end models like that Seiki, that don't give the same experience as you're getting with your quality TV.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#236 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

One has to wonder about 4K given the 3D "promise" only to fall to limited avialable media. Sure it works, looks incredible at times but limited media and glasses that are uncomfortable.

4K hits bandwidth heavy, limited media, and I suspect its entry level costs will remain prohibitive to the masses. IF it catches on then service providers may invest in it but I think considering the fizzle in 3D there may be a reluctance to blast forward till a more assured return on such investments exist.

Personally, I am most happy at 1080p and frankly the 1080i rerendered on a 1080p 120hz display is pretty darned good. 4K is like a high quality glossy photograph stunning but unnatural for the most part.

But you always "blabber good"!

I think there will be plenty of movies available, as more and more are being shot in 4k, and I suspect there's already a few hundred now. Ooops, now I re-read the post and you may be referring to limitations of 3D content. ..... Otherwise, agree with it all. 

#237 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Deep black levels, vibrant colors, zero fast motion blur and zero light bleed are not a property of 4K, they're a property of the LCD panel. 

They can be! But aren't they even more the property of good plasmas? Although, unfortunately, we may never see a 4k plasma. (OK, I am sure someone will link to an existing 4K plasma......! )

#238 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,797 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

(OK, I am sure someone will link to an existing 4K plasma......! )

"Plasma-like" is close as I could find: http://www.cnet.com/...a-like-picture/

/steve

#239 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,566 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Within ten years nothing Hollywood shoots for tv or theaters will be on anything but 4k or better and they are already well headed down that road.

That's not at all the same as what happens with 3d. That takes additional stuff. 4k cameras are the replacements for 1080 ones. Big difference. (And I'm not sure but they may be headed for all 8k cameras now)

Hollywood wants the best quality thy can get for archiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#240 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,566 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Within ten years nothing Hollywood shoots for tv or theaters will be on anything but 4k or better and they are already well headed down that road.

That's not at all the same as what happens with 3d. That takes additional stuff. 4k cameras are the replacements for 1080 ones. Big difference. (And I'm not sure but they may be headed for all 8k cameras now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#241 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Heh. I bet it's a pretty decent set! When and if they get to production on it. 

#242 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

They can be! But aren't they even more the property of good plasmas? Although, unfortunately, we may never see a 4k plasma. (OK, I am sure someone will link to an existing 4K plasma......! )

That's true of course - due to the different design, black levels, motion blur and light bleed should not be a problem on plasma regardless of high or low end. They aren't perfect though, low end plasmas have their own issues and will have an inferior picture to a modern (this year or last) high end LCD.

Since the post I was replying to involved a 4K LCD TV, I was discussing specifically with regard to LCDs, particularly since black levels, motion blur and light bleed are dramatically different between the LCDs most people own (i.e. lower end of the pricing range) and the very high end LCDs of recent vintage like the one the guy I was responding to has. Even the high end LCDs of 3-4 years ago fared rather poorly on these metrics, but the state of the art in LCD panels has advanced rapidly.

Simply comparing "here's what I have at home" to "here's this 4K TV I see in the store or my friend has" is going to blur the distinction between what benefits are being provided by having 4x more pixels, and what are provided by having a much higher quality LCD panel. If he compared his 4K TV to a similarly priced HD LCD TV, he'd see the same black levels and lack of motion blur or light bleed. That would be a much fairer comparison than comparing to older TVs, or to a low end (I assume?) plasma won in a drawing.

#243 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hollywood wants to sell everyone the movies they like as many times as possible (VHS, Laser Disc, DVD, Blu Ray, 4K Blu Ray, 8K download...)

Edited by slice1900, 30 June 2014 - 01:18 PM.

• Laxguy likes this

#244 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Agreed. 

Do you think we will ever see plasma 4Ks? Or are plasmas just dead, Jim, dead?

#245 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

I think the investment is in trying to make OLED affordable. If they could do that it solves all the problems that LCD and plasma have, and the only problem it brings to the table is color accuracy. Which most people don't care all that much about, given how few calibrate their sets now.

#246 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

OK, put me down for a 90" 4K OLED under $4K..... :) 

#247 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

You may be joking, but that will probably only take 5 to 7 years.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#248 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

You may be joking, but that will probably only take 5 to 7 years.

Me want now! Was joking as to it being here now, but agree on the above time frame. Maybe four years!

#249 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,797 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Agreed. 

Do you think we will ever see plasma 4Ks? Or are plasmas just dead, Jim, dead?

I remember reading somewhere the power draw of a 4k plasma likely wouldn't pass muster with the authorities that monitor such things.

/steve

#250 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Newer plasmas were much better with power consumtion than the older ones.  My Panasonic TC-P65VT60 has an average power consumption of 189W, the rated consumption is 585W though.  Panasonics new TC-65AX800U 4K LED has an average power consumption of 179W, the rated consumption is 320W.  So there isn't really much difference in the average power consumption of the two, but there is a pretty big difference in the rated power consumption (not sure what makes it so much higher).

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, DTV, 4k, UHD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...