Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 4K UHD plans

DirecTV DTV 4k UHD

• Please log in to reply
1033 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

The thing 4k in stores and shows has going for it, IMO, is it's human nature to walk up close to those displays, where resolution actually makes a difference. After that, even if you move back to normal viewing range, it's hard to forget that 'close-up' impression.

Think of the impression you got at a Costco when viewing the same content side by side using an LCD and a plasma.  If I wouldn't have known better I'd have quite a few LCD sets instead of my fleet of plasmas.  

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#182 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

I know that one.  The one on the left is better, because it has "4K" at the lower right corner.

I saw that on my brand new laptop with the resolution set as high as it could be.  The 4K picture still looked better when I got up and moved about five feet away from my 17" display.  I hope that wasn't a setup.

Rich

• Diana C likes this

#183 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

I moved 17' away, and couldn't make out either image....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#184 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

They're exactly the same picture with different labels.

What those labels did to your perception of a  'superior' image is the point I believe.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#185 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Is there any truth that with 16K you be able to shake hand with Godzilla? :)

Only if it is 16K 3D      :)

My Setup

#186 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Only if it is 16K 3D      :)

Thanks.

#187 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

But then we're almost at holograms! 

:)

#188 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,335 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

I think DIRECTV's customer base would be much better served by upping the quality of HD as opposed to offering the same channels again in UHD.

DirecTV is not having a problem with HD quality. The new satellite space will help DirecTV stay away from over-packing transponders (perhaps even unpack a couple, if needed). And for those who sit close enough and have a large enough screen UHD will be an improvement. If the current receivers can be made compatible channels may just be upgraded as content providers upgrade their feeds. Drop the HD, add the UHD and have "more pixels" available for all subscribers.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#189 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,335 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

I know that one. The one on the left is better, because it has "4K" at the lower right corner.

The 4K picture still looked better when I got up and moved about five feet away from my 17" display.  I hope that wasn't a setup.

They're exactly the same picture with different labels.

What those labels did to your perception of a  'superior' image is the point I believe.

:D

For those influenced by the label here is another test:
testimg.jpgortestimg.jpg

The perception is the point ... I don't know your screen resolution or the zoom setting on your browser but both pictures (in both posts) are 300x225 pixels. There is a physical limit on how good either image can be. The "one arc second of vision" is also a physical limit. If one's eyesight is better than 20/20 great! But that just means the physical limit is different for that person - not that the physical limit is abolished.

Whatever your personal limit is, you can only see so many pixels per arc second. Any more pixels than your limit just becomes a blur of neighboring pixels - a situation that can be recreated on a regular HD set (all other factors being equal, such as color depth, etc).
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#190 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

Guys, I must admit, I am getting a kick out of this thread. I was asked some time ago to start a thread as a 4k owner. Back then, I had purchased a Sony XBR65900A.  In that thread I reported my impressions, which were quite positive. Since I never owned a plasma, I think my impressions were more or less blown off.

Since that time, I was lucky enough to win a Sony XBR55850A.  Now, as I admit never owning a plasma. I have seen quite a few; both in store, and at the homes of friends.

Both of my 4K sets blow the socks of any television I have ever seen. It's not even close ! With the exception of LG's OLED.  The OLED was playing a demo loop, which we all know is a come on. We never see material with the bit rate that demos display. In the case of the 4K Sony I saw demo loops too. Which I always have reservations about.

However, at the time Sony was the only one with actual 4K content (4K Media Player) so I took a shot. What I have experienced since is an incredible picture, with deep black levels and vibrant colors. Zero fast motion blur, zero light bleed. Just a jaw dropping picture. That goes for 4K content as well as 1080p and 1080i. Everyone that walks in my house is amazed at the PQ of both sets.

I can't wait for Directv to launch the next bird and get this puppy up and running. Also, I will not hesitate to pick up Vizio P series, when they become available. ( rumor of Sept)

• Rich likes this

#191 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Good to hear. Now if I could win a Sony.

#192 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

:D

For those influenced by the label here is another test:
testimg.jpgortestimg.jpg

The perception is the point ... I don't know your screen resolution or the zoom setting on your browser but both pictures (in both posts) are 300x225 pixels. There is a physical limit on how good either image can be. The "one arc second of vision" is also a physical limit. If one's eyesight is better than 20/20 great! But that just means the physical limit is different for that person - not that the physical limit is abolished.

Whatever your personal limit is, you can only see so many pixels per arc second. Any more pixels than your limit just becomes a blur of neighboring pixels - a situation that can be recreated on a regular HD set (all other factors being equal, such as color depth, etc).

The one on my left looks better, look at the tail.

Rich

#193 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Guys, I must admit, I am getting a kick out of this thread. I was asked some time ago to start a thread as a 4k owner. Back then, I had purchased a Sony XBR65900A.  In that thread I reported my impressions, which were quite positive. Since I never owned a plasma, I think my impressions were more or less blown off.

Since that time, I was lucky enough to win a Sony XBR55850A.  Now, as I admit never owning a plasma. I have seen quite a few; both in store, and at the homes of friends.

Both of my 4K sets blow the socks of any television I have ever seen. It's not even close ! With the exception of LG's OLED.  The OLED was playing a demo loop, which we all know is a come on. We never see material with the bit rate that demos display. In the case of the 4K Sony I saw demo loops too. Which I always have reservations about.

However, at the time Sony was the only one with actual 4K content (4K Media Player) so I took a shot. What I have experienced since is an incredible picture, with deep black levels and vibrant colors. Zero fast motion blur, zero light bleed. Just a jaw dropping picture. That goes for 4K content as well as 1080p and 1080i. Everyone that walks in my house is amazed at the PQ of both sets.

I can't wait for Directv to launch the next bird and get this puppy up and running. Also, I will not hesitate to pick up Vizio P series, when they become available. ( rumor of Sept)

I wondered what happened to you.  Good post!  I believe you.  Monday, I'm gonna do some exploring.

Rich

#194 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Good to hear. Now if I could win a Sony.

I won 2 dollars at a Sunoco gas station years ago.  I won a cherry tart at a USO bingo game when I was in the navy.  See what kinda luck I have?  To win a Sony 4K would be truly wonderful, but I know it ain't gonna happen.

Rich

#195 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Rich

I see what you mean. I did not notice the flea before.

#196 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

Rich

I guess that's what James meant about perception, because to me the one on the right looks better. :)

The picture "seems" (key word here) brighter, contrast better, and colors more vibrant "to me" (again, key expression) ...

Either way, whatever the perceived differences it's not related to resolution is the point though as they are the same ....

Edited by HoTat2, 27 June 2014 - 09:38 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#197 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

This is reminiscent of a physical argument, but actually it is just a dressed up tautology.  You can't see more pixels than the limit of the pixels you can see, because then that would not be the limit of the pixels you can see.

Don't be fooled by pseudo-physics.

• Rich likes this
Greg

#198 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I guess we need more actual side-by-side comparisons by real people with real content that'll be available to us one day in order to be sure. 

And even then.... Opinions will vary.

#199 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,335 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I see what you mean. I did not notice the flea before.

I guess that's what James meant about perception, because to me the one on the right looks better. :)

The picture "seems" (key word here) brighter, contrast better, and colors more vibrant "to me" (again, key expression) ...

Thanks for playing along guys.

(The two dog images are identical. They are the same image. They even have the same URL.)

#200 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,335 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

This is reminiscent of a physical argument, but actually it is just a dressed up tautology.  You can't see more pixels than the limit of the pixels you can see, because then that would not be the limit of the pixels you can see.

Don't be fooled by pseudo-physics.

One cannot take a single shot ten megapixel picture with a one megapixel camera. :)

I do not question that people can see a difference between a higher quality display that happens to be UHD and a lower quality display that happens to be HD. Attributing the "improvement" viewed at a distance to the number of pixels is a fallacy.

One might as well argue that they can see the difference between a UHD and a HD display on their existing television ... those TVs in the commercials look sharp. Or that the UHD display in the store 10 miles from your house looks better from your couch than the HD display next to it in the store (without taking the couch to the store). :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, DTV, 4k, UHD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...