Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 4K UHD plans

DirecTV DTV 4k UHD

• Please log in to reply
1033 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Introducing 1080p and 3D didn't require new boxes.  D* might find 4k sources, get 4k signals up to the satellites and thence down to users' boxes.  But how does the 4k signal get from box to TV?  I doubt that can be done with current boxes.

Today I watched for the first time some 4k youtube videos on the 4k TV that I just bought my wife.  Since I only get about 14mbps from the internet into my home, I was expecting an overcompressed second-rate picture, but I was surprised at how good the videos looked.

D* better get a move on.

1080p and 3D did require new boxes, you probably had ones that supported it. The H20 (original MPEG4 HD receiver) doesn't support either. If you'd had one of those, you'd have had to upgrade if you wanted to watch 3D, but almost nobody did so the support didn't matter.

I know some people believe that the HR44 may be capable of 4K, but I can't see how. AFAIK the HDCP 2.x spec was not complete when it was designed, which makes it useless for displaying 4K movies (they will all be protected by HDCP 2.x from day one)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

I almost expect to see uhd on the new bss frequencies and sticking with mpeg4 for now... Several offerings on demand and then maybe ten linear channels, some ppv and an HBO channel and a couple others.... And I kind suspect the hr44 can do it now... Maybe... If not I suspect it will launch sometime shortly after d15 is operational, which would mean new hardware to go with it in about a year. Just my wild guessing...

The HR44 cannot do UHD output.

#23 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

I know some people believe that the HR44 may be capable of 4K, but I can't see how. AFAIK the HDCP 2.x spec was not complete when it was designed, which makes it useless for displaying 4K movies (they will all be protected by HDCP 2.x from day one)

Exactly. And they will need h265 for decoding, which the HR44 does not do (again, timing is off).

Furthermore, if they were even experimenting with a single UHD/4K in a test mode, it would show up on the Sixto report.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 15 June 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

To whom are you addressing this?
Who is "they"?
Why so truculent?

Really? They being the company that loves you and the other devotee.. Old men and their cable/dbs company, a love of that lasts the ages. :)

Edited by fireponcoal, 16 June 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Really? They being the company that loves you and the other devotee.. Old men and their cable/dbs company, a love of that lasts the ages. :)

What does age have to do with it?

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

I get you are loaded with sarcasm and arch little quips, but why not be a man and write exactly what your beef is? It doesn't take loads of testosterone to do so. 

• fireponcoal likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

The HR44 cannot do UHD output.

So, those that have a free upgrade in class may have something to look forward to, particularly if they don't require you have a 4k set already.

Unless they do it like they did with 3D.

#28 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

What does age have to do with it?

Rich

Young(er) people generally are not in love with their cable/dbs provider is all I'm getting at. They're sort of over it one might say.. 4K is simply another premium service like 3D that DBS Talk and the like will be all over. At the end of the day like 3D it'll be the same 10 to 15 posters acting like it's the be all, end all, must have option when in reality is just another extra 'feature' to milk even more money out the a mostly over it consumer base. Those 10 to 15 people will put out their best D* sales pitch as if a certain company was paying them to do so. 'ish is tired.

Edited by fireponcoal, 17 June 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Since D* will have to make new boxes for 4k anyhow, I hope they'll do it right and build in capability for Dolby Vision, too, including High Dynamic Range and Wide Gamut video.

Greg

#30 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Since D* will have to make new boxes for 4k anyhow, I hope they'll do it right and build in capability for Dolby Vision, too, including High Dynamic Range and Wide Gamut video.

Considering Dolby Vision has been available for 5 years and is still just seen the light of day in a few retail sets, it may get lost in the 4k transition, which is really ashame.

Besides, the sets with it on display at CES had really screwed the color up anyway. Marketing liked it far away from D65.

#31 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

So, those that have a free upgrade in class may have something to look forward to, particularly if they don't require you have a 4k set already.

Unless they do it like they did with 3D.

You are missing the point. It is being advertised NOW in stores and wreaks of false advertising.

Not talking about what will be available in 2016 when Genie clients get a 2 year upgrade - but what is available now  in June 2014.

#32 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

I checked out the new Samsung UHD at Best Buy last weekend and the sales associate (early 20's young lady) was showing me the TV. I mentioned that it's nice but not worth the money since there's not really any content available for UHD. She said, "Oh no, that's not true. DirecTV will have 4K channels in a couple of months."  I kind of laughed/smiled and said, "Where did you hear that nonsense?" She said, "Oh our manager told us that."  I smiled again, remembered why I never ask a Best Buy employee anything about the products they sell, and told her, "Your manager is incorrect. But thanks for demoing the TV for me." 

:)

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

You are missing the point. It is being advertised NOW in stores and wreaks of false advertising.

Not talking about what will be available in 2016 when Genie clients get a 2 year upgrade - but what is available now  in June 2014.

In terms of the in store advertising, the asterisk is key, depending on what it says.

#34 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

Considering Dolby Vision has been available for 5 years and is still just seen the light of day in a few retail sets, it may get lost in the 4k transition, which is really ashame.

Yes, Dolby Vision may well not succeed.  Even so, some similar technology adapted to 10 or 12 bit TV panels is likely, I think, and it will require even more data to be passed to the TV than 4k requires.

Greg

#35 OFFLINE   bjoe

bjoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

I checked out the new Samsung UHD at Best Buy last weekend and the sales associate (early 20's young lady) was showing me the TV. I mentioned that it's nice but not worth the money since there's not really any content available for UHD. She said, "Oh no, that's not true. DirecTV will have 4K channels in a couple of months."  I kind of laughed/smiled and said, "Where did you hear that nonsense?" She said, "Oh our manager told us that."  I smiled again, remembered why I never ask a Best Buy employee anything about the products they sell, and told her, "Your manager is incorrect. But thanks for demoing the TV for me." 

:)

I think they are loosely throwing around the word 'channel' here. Directv and the other logos in that add are scheduled to supply streaming 4k content via the add-on ' Samsung UHD VideoPak'. Their own FAQ never promises linear channels this year.

'YouTube and Netflix currently have UHD content available to stream. You need to have between 11MB and 15MB internet connection for the UHD content to stream properly. There is a UHD Video Pack available for Samsung UHD TVs. It is a 1TB external HDD that has 5 movies and 3 documentaries in UHD. Click here to find out more. Amazon, M-GO, Comcast, and DirecTV are scheduled to start making UHD content available by the end of the year.'

http://www.samsung.c...715/UN85S9VFXZA

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Comcast???

They don't have SDV and are lacking HD channels that other smaller cable systems have and they plan to have UHD???

Directv may have some soon when D-14 and D-15 go up.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 16 June 2014 - 09:41 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#37 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Comcast???

They don't have SDV and are lacking HD channels that other smaller cable systems have and they plan to have UHD???

Directv may have some soon when D-14 and D-15 go up.

Comcast could do it via IP delivery with newer STBs that they're already planning to deploy that will be MPEG4 and IPTV capable.

#38 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

Comcast could do it via IP delivery with newer STBs that they're already planning to deploy that will be MPEG4 and IPTV capable.

As I am not anywhere near a Comcast system, have not kept up with what the Xfinity system would do, but how would they do it without an output connection/chip set that could do UHD output on their STB?

#39 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

Yes, Dolby Vision may well not succeed.  Even so, some similar technology adapted to 10 or 12 bit TV panels is likely, I think, and it will require even more data to be passed to the TV than 4k requires.

Not following you.

Dolby Vision is built into the panel....not the STB.

Works with any input.

It's very impressive and I have wanted one since I saw the first test model in early 2009 under the name Brightside. However, 6+ years later........

for info:

http://en.wikipedia....de_Technologies

I would also tell you that adding HDR to the UHD specs (which has been discussed by the ITU) as a second phase will not happen until 2017 or 2018 at the earliest....and would render all the current UHD sets up to that point incompatible. Tests and a decision are supposed to be decided by next Spring.

And finally, speaking of format wars, there are 4 competing standards for HDR now: Phillips, Technicolor, Dolby and the BBC.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 17 June 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

As I am not anywhere near a Comcast system, have not kept up with what the Xfinity system would do, but how would they do it without an output connection/chip set that could do UHD output on their STB?

I was speaking in terms of the data delivery, but it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine an STB that was UHD capable in the very near future. To the best of my knowledge, the IPTV system is still in testing stage, but it is the long term plan as it helps ease the dependence on more and more bandwidth, only the requested channel(data) or channels(if more than one viewer) is sent down the line. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, DTV, 4k, UHD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...