Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 4K UHD plans

DirecTV DTV 4k UHD

• Please log in to reply
826 replies to this topic

#821 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

That experience would probably make them a bit gun shy about buying HEVC encoders too "early", and instead wait for the bugs to be shaken out.

Actually they thought the MPEG4 Encoders they had to replace in late 2011 systemwide were very mature - in life there are never any guarantees - just look at the HR34 which is still a POS 3 years after multiple firmware updates.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#822 OFFLINE   jburns

jburns

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted Today, 11:12 AM

I need some advice.  I want to be able to stream Direc's 4k.   I have the HR34 hooked directly to a Samsung 2014 model 8550.  All the info I find is about RVU where your HR34 is connected to a non 4k ready TV and you're adding a 4K TV to the system in another room. Mine is much simpler.  I just want to be able to access the 4k content on the TV connected directly to the HR34.  My internet is plenty fast enough.  I must be missing something simple.  Any ideas?

#823 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,225 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted Today, 11:20 AM

I must be missing something simple.

You're missing that DIRECTV doesn't currently offer what you're seeking. The ONLY way they currently deliver UHD content is through RVU. That means a satellite download to a Genie DVR.

If you want to do 4K Internet streaming, you'll need to add a provider that offers it. Your TV should be able to handle that without the Genie or a CCK connection to same.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#824 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted Today, 11:32 AM

You're missing that DIRECTV doesn't currently offer what you're seeking. The ONLY way they currently deliver UHD content is through RVU. That means a satellite download to a Genie DVR. ...

To be clear, you need a Genie DVR connected to an "RVU enabled" 4K UHD TV is what's required for now at this early stage.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#825 OFFLINE   jburns

jburns

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted Today, 11:39 AM

You're missing that DIRECTV doesn't currently offer what you're seeking. The ONLY way they currently deliver UHD content is through RVU. That means a satellite download to a Genie DVR.

If you want to do 4K Internet streaming, you'll need to add a provider that offers it. Your TV should be able to handle that without the Genie or a CCK connection to same.

Got it. I assume if i have Direc come and do what they do to set it up, I could have it on my TV that is directly connected to the HR34.  Or am  I wrong about that as well.   I do have NetFlix so I'll settle for theirs for a while. I was just trying to broaden my options.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate it.

Edited by jburns, Today, 11:39 AM.

#826 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,003 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted Today, 11:45 AM

I need some advice.  I want to be able to stream Direc's 4k.   I have the HR34 hooked directly to a Samsung 2014 model 8550.  All the info I find is about RVU where your HR34 is connected to a non 4k ready TV and you're adding a 4K TV to the system in another room. Mine is much simpler.  I just want to be able to access the 4k content on the TV connected directly to the HR34.  My internet is plenty fast enough.  I must be missing something simple.  Any ideas?

Got it. I assume if i have Direc come and do what they do to set it up, I could have it on my TV that is directly connected to the HR34.  Or am  I wrong about that as well.   I do have NetFlix so I'll settle for theirs for a while. I was just trying to broaden my options.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate it.

No, right now you cannot bring UHD onto your TV via HDMI. It must be an RVU setup. - though some might say that's directly connected....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#827 OFFLINE   jburns

jburns

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted Today, 11:50 AM

To be clear, you need a Genie DVR connected to an "RVU enabled" 4K UHD TV is what's required for now at this early stage.

My TV is a 2014, Samsung un65hu8550.  Supposed to be compatible from what I've read.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, DTV, 4k, UHD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...