Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 4K UHD plans

DirecTV DTV 4k UHD

• Please log in to reply
2066 replies to this topic

#2051 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM

What will be interesting is how network TV will be affected. Will there be UHD programming from the major broadcast networks? Will there be UHD "locals" or just East/West feeds? Will only O&O stations have access to such feeds as has been done in the past? Will local ad insertion play a huge part?

The major networks live on the affiliate model. Perhaps that will change, but as long as the networks sell the right to first airing to geographical areas they must abide by that contract. The local affiliate's HD or SD feed becomes *the* feed for the market they serve.

Later airings on a national feed may be possible ... but the closer the repeat airing is to the OTA air date the more it would cut in to the OTA viewership. All of the major networks already have cable feeds - so if a network decided to leave the OTA market and go to the pay only market they could. But they are still making too much money from affiliates to walk away.

OTA stations themselves do not and will not have the bandwidth for 4K/UHD feeds. Dedicated feeds to satellite/cable could be done - but they would need enough content to make the cost worth spending. There may be a UHD national feed to markets owned by the network ... that happened with HD. But I would not expect "every local station in 4K/UHD" for a long time.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2052 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Today DIRECTV only delivers 4k content to 4k TVs via an RVU connection. So far as I know, only Samsung has any 4k RVU TVs.

This is misleading. The problem is that you're using "4K RVU" where you really mean DIRECTV 4K Ready.

There are many models of UHD TVs from a handful of manufacturers that are RVU capable (but only to the level of being DIRECTV Ready). This bit a forum member recently who misinterpreted a table on the Sony website. The table was for DIRECTV Ready TVs and all of the XBR models were listed as being of type "4K" but none of them go as far as being DIRECTV 4K Ready.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2053 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,492 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:37 PM

This is misleading. The problem is that you're using "4K RVU" where you really mean DIRECTV 4K Ready.

There are many models of UHD TVs from a handful of manufacturers that are RVU capable (but only to the level of being DIRECTV Ready). This bit a forum member recently who misinterpreted a table on the Sony website. The table was for DIRECTV Ready TVs and all of the XBR models were listed as being of type "4K" but none of them go as far as being DIRECTV 4K Ready.

This is nitpicking... 

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#2054 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted Yesterday, 04:48 PM

This is nitpicking...

If 4K RVU was "a thing", it would be a matter of nitpicking but as it is, DIRECTV and the RVU Alliance both use the term DIRECTV 4K Ready in reference to TVs that are capable.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2055 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,492 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

If 4K RVU was "a thing", it would be a matter of nitpicking but as it is, DIRECTV and the RVU Alliance both use the term DIRECTV 4K Ready in reference to TVs that are capable.

Which does not bode well for the standard if only one manufacturer of sources exists. There should be a generic term.

Though your comment is still nitpicking. Nitpicking doesn't mean your comment was wrong, just nitpicking. :)

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#2056 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Since I don't believe I said to 'google it', I'll stick with what I've said. The first looks are available right here in the very forum for all to peruse. And I also don't believe I said anything at all about 'major errors', I did say that they were mostly looks at the innards and outside of the units under 'first look' and possibly that the information wasn't very valuable to me. That holds true. They are, solely imo, fluff pieces for the most part.

It was a figure of speech—surely you could have divined that; you told me to go search out First Look docs here for me to find the errors you bleated about.

Are you going to continue to shirk and shrink here? If so, we are done. Disappointing you couldn't put up on the one hand, great on the other as you have nothing to back up your snarky assertions. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2057 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 PM

It was a figure of speech—surely you could have divined that; you told me to go search out First Look docs here for me to find the errors you bleated about.

Are you going to continue to shirk and shrink here? If so, we are done. Disappointing you couldn't put up on the one hand, great on the other as you have nothing to back up your snarky assertions.

If you cannot take the time to read the blasted first looks and comments tough. They are there to this day and exist for the perusal.

Now everyone else has decided to get back to the original discussion. IF you just cannot make yourself do that, then the problem is yours.

As for snarky comments, they weren't snarky, they were just facts. That they don't fit your particular version of fanboism isn't my problem.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2058 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,492 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:58 PM

If you cannot take the time to read the blasted first looks and comments tough. They are there to this day and exist for the perusal.

Now everyone else has decided to get back to the original discussion. IF you just cannot make yourself do that, then the problem is yours.

As for snarky comments, they weren't snarky, they were just facts. That they don't fit your particular version of fanboism isn't my problem.

Opinions are not facts, snarky or otherwise. :)

DIRECTV has plans for 4k. That is a fact. DBSTalk will discuss them, speculate about them, and render options about them. :)

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

#2059 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,671 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 PM

It will be interesting to see if 4K does better than 3D did for D* and E*. D* made a pretty good run at it, E* not as much. But the end result was the same, 3D died yet again! :)

I loved the idea of 3D, but the flickering glasses make me slightly nauseous and I don't find eating Tums nearly as fulfilling as eating popcorn.

An earlier comment was made that the poster thinks movies and sports will be the big thing. I would tend to agree on movies, but some of the best sports viewing is 720p so I have to wonder how well 4K will do with it.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2060 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted Yesterday, 07:28 PM

If so, we are done.

I thought we were done already. If he doesn't want to back up his accusations that is fine. Consider them unsubstantiated claims. If he chooses to support his accusations using Private Messages would be better at this point - since this thread has moved on.

As already stated ... the First Look threads are the beginning of the conversation on a new device. People are welcome to post their own opinions on devices in the First Look threads. If someone feels that something was missed in a First Look the appropriate thread is a good place to start. (Consider this the last word.)

Back to DirecTV's plans for 4K/UHD. Personally I am looking forward to a First Look at any equipment DirecTV may introduce that could support DirecTV's plans for 4K/UHD.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#2061 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted Yesterday, 07:57 PM

It will be interesting to see if 4K does better than 3D did for D* and E*. D* made a pretty good run at it, E* not as much. But the end result was the same, 3D died yet again! :)
I loved the idea of 3D, but the flickering glasses make me slightly nauseous and I don't find eating Tums nearly as fulfilling as eating popcorn.
An earlier comment was made that the poster thinks movies and sports will be the big thing. I would tend to agree on movies, but some of the best sports viewing is 720p so I have to wonder how well 4K will do with it.

As far as I am concerned sport is the killer app for 4K. No realtime sport no 4K for me.

#2062 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:00 PM

As far as I am concerned sport is the killer app for 4K. No realtime sport no 4K for me.

And, IIRC, you have to first see it at BB before you plunk down the cash..... Yes? 

:)

#2063 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

I thought we were done already. If he doesn't want to back up his accusations that is fine. Consider them unsubstantiated claims. If he chooses to support his accusations using Private Messages would be better at this point - since this thread has moved on.

As already stated ... the First Look threads are the beginning of the conversation on a new device. People are welcome to post their own opinions on devices in the First Look threads. If someone feels that something was missed in a First Look the appropriate thread is a good place to start. (Consider this the last word.)

Back to DirecTV's plans for 4K/UHD. Personally I am looking forward to a First Look at any equipment DirecTV may introduce that could support DirecTV's plans for 4K/UHD.

Same here. I follow UHD developments somewhat closely, and will spring for a set before too long. 

I can't agree with those trying to parallel the 3D experiment with UHD's situation. Too many basic differences.

One thing I think is almost unassailable is that DIRECTV will have far more capacity to really bring it when the time comes. 

#2064 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted Yesterday, 08:48 PM

I can't agree with those trying to parallel the 3D experiment with UHD's situation. Too many basic differences.

I see basic similarities ... especially with ESPN's involvement. When HD came out ESPN started a HD channel - not a 24 hour simulcast but as much HD content as they could get. ESPN HD (and eventually ESPN2 HD) replayed HD content - one could expect to see sports in HD 24/7. Eventually the amount of HD content grew and both channels became simulcast with their SD channels.

ESPN 3D followed the same path. They released a channel similar to their initial HD channel ... all 3D all the time but obviously not a 24/7 simulcast (since not everything on ESPN was available in 3D). 3D eventually faded and so did ESPN 3D ... but the start was the same as the HD channels.

ESPN 4K/UHD will likely follow the same path as HD and 3D ... a showcase sports channel that plays 4K/UHD programming around the clock. Eventually when enough content is available in 4K/UHD it will become a simulcast with the HD channel - and a second ESPN 4K/UHD will be born. The path seems fairly clear.

As far as other channels ... the introduction of HD brought special HD only programming channels. Some that have survived past the "look at this, it is in HD" novelty phase and joined traditional channels that upgraded their programming to HD. The early days of HD had a handful of linear channels and PPV. The introduction of 3D also brought special 3D only channels ... including "look at this, it is in 3D" novelty channels and PPV. Unfortunately 3D faded before traditional channels such as HBO joined in.

With 4K/UHD on the horizon I expect the same type of "look at this, it is in 4K/UHD" novelty channels that we saw with 3D and HD. I expect to see ESPN 4K/UHD. We already see VOD and PPV. When traditional channels step up and introduce 4K/UHD channels (such as a HBO 4K/UHD channel) it will be a good thing for the 4K/UHD marketplace.

I believe DirecTV intends to support 4K/UHD and see where it goes ... just like the supported 3D (and still do). If there is content to carry they will offer it. DirecTV made the commitment to upgrade their receivers to handle 3D ... they are making a similar commitment to handle 4K/UHD.

The work DirecTV put in to 3D is a good thing ... it shows that they are willing to make a commitment without a guarantee of success. That they are willing to be a market leader even if what they offer eventually fades. If they were not willing to take the risk with 3D I wouldn't be so confident that they would push ahead with 4K/UHD.

The future of 4K/UHD has yet to be written ... but it seems safe to say that DirecTV is positioning itself to be a part of that future and give 4K/UHD the best chance of survival beyond the "novelty" phase. That is a good thing.
  • Tom Robertson likes this

#2065 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,640 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:34 PM

The difference is not how it will start to appear, but how thew studios will use it at their end and therefore it will become available.  You had to spend more money to make 3d and where basically making two versions of things.  UHD and hd can be made from one master that is simply converted.  That's a whole lot different at that end which is why producers will make the content in 4k and 8k....

#2066 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

There is going to be a lot of recorded in HD, produced in UHD content. :)

#2067 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 4,038 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

I have two Samsung TVs that are upgradeable with its "One Connect Box", and Samsung has been good about this, so far.  It did sell upgrade boxes last year for certain 2013 models, and it has produced and is now selling an upgrade box for some 2014 models.  I'm waiting for reviews before I buy one.  With Samsung's plan, at least there is no question about user installability, since its just a matter of plugging in cables.

Having an external box makes the upgrade easy, but would be a logistical pain, especially if your TV is wall mounted. Most people want fewer boxes, not yet another one.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, DTV, 4k, UHD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...