Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 4K UHD plans

DirecTV DTV 4k UHD

• Please log in to reply
2193 replies to this topic

#2176 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

Guys,

This thread is pretty massive, and I have not been back on dbstalk in years.   I got 2 little ones at home that have consumed most of my spare time.   However,  we are moving and I am getting a new 4K tv and I am VERY interested in what DirecTV is doing, since iv'e been with DTV for many years and don't plan on dumping them any time soon.   But as I understand it, the limited amount of 4K content out there right now is ALL streaming content that would use your data plan and NOT sent via satellite correct?   What are DTV's plans for 4K via satellite?   Any timelines that have been talked about?    We should keep the OP of this thread up-to-date with some of this info for folks like me.   :)

Thanks in advance!

I'd wait until the dust settles.  Too many variables right now to make a big purchase, I think.  I want a 4K too, almost made a huge mistake last year, but came to my senses and backed off.  Until all 4Ks are plug and play, I'm waiting.  If you just have to have one right now, the Sammy JS9000 seems to be a good choice.  

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2177 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,485 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

I could have sworn that in a post you made last week, someone was enabling the Sonys in some fashion that night.

Give your record lately, I wont be surprised that are you are mistaken, yet again!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#2178 OFFLINE   Whiskey River

Whiskey River

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

Comparing PQ at a big box store is a total crap shoot. Half the staff haven't a clue what they're talking about, some who do will lie about the feed, and if you find someone both knowledgeable and honest, get his card and reward him with a sale. YMMV.

I was at a local bestbuy looking at a Sammy showing 4K, and I looked at the back to see what it was connected to, and I

only saw the power cord going to the unit, I kept looking, and finally I saw one of those short sticking out flash drives

and I asked the sales person what was being shown and they lied and said it was streaming through the internet.

I guess it could have been WiFi, but I don't think so.

HR44-500 Genie
HR20-700 mine with 2TB DRIVE
HR24-500(X2)
OLD AT9 Dish(2006)with Swim-16 MRV CCK WHDVR

#2179 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:27 AM

I was also at an electronics store this weekend. Most of the Samsung 4K sets were showing a video on a 4-5 minute loop with scenes from a city with traffic and other nature stuff. Looked really good.

I told the sales guy I'm not getting a 4K TV until there is actual 4K programming and a standard among manufactures, but I asked him where the demo video came from. He told me it is from a flash stick that Samsung provided.

#2180 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

I was at a local bestbuy looking at a Sammy showing 4K, and I looked at the back to see what it was connected to, and I

only saw the power cord going to the unit, I kept looking, and finally I saw one of those short sticking out flash drives

and I asked the sales person what was being shown and they lied and said it was streaming through the internet.

just bought a samsung 4k two weeks ago. It does have wifi. you tube has all kinds of 4k content. The tv has a quad 4 in it and streaming is super fast.

#2181 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Yup, they just stick a flash drive in.

Rich

#2182 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

Found an interesting piece on the topic of the current state of 4K UHD TV here:

https://techrealist....t-anytime-soon/

It's pretty high level, but contains a few points to ponder for those folks shopping for 4K UHD devices at this time. 

• Laxguy likes this
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#2183 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

Found an interesting piece on the topic of the current state of 4K UHD TV here:

https://techrealist....t-anytime-soon/

The AVSForum article by Scott Wilkinson is more comprehensive.

http://www.avsforum....een-hd-uhd.html

In the end, the conclusions are pretty much the same of any scholarly research: We're not there yet.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2184 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

The AVSForum article by Scott Wilkinson is more comprehensive.

http://www.avsforum....een-hd-uhd.html

In the end, the conclusions are pretty much the same of any scholarly research: We're not there yet.

Yup, still too many variables.  Industry standards need to be set.  I think.

Rich

#2185 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

Rich

Pretty much...though HDCP v2.2 (p60) copy protection is set within HDMI 2...and more and more 4K UHD TVs are now supporting that standard. Some of the recent sets feature multiple ports with this format, while some of the earlier models may only have 1 such port.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#2186 OFFLINE   Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Rich

Industry standards are pretty much set for UHD and even the new UHD players.  HDR is still in a state of flux; although shows lots of promise.  Since Scott wrote his article a few weeks ago, Amazon has made available an original series "Mozart in the Jungle" in HDR.  Netflix and Amazon both plan to use HDR in original programming starting next year.  They have used UHD for original programming the last year.  Between the two of them, I'm sure there is over a 100 hours of UHD programming currently available.

Bought my first UHD display (Samsung F9000) around 18 months ago.  They make a new one connect box (OCB) available annually that upgrades connections and features.  The current box SEK-3500 gives the F9000 the ability to receive input from the UHD players to be released later this year and also basic HDR.  Annual upgrades on the OCB keep the Samsung current in everything but actual panel capabilities. 

Bought a Samsung JS9500 a couple months ago that is a significant upgrade from the F9000.  It is the only fully capable UHD HDR set currently sold.  Video is amazing.  Actually, HDR probably has more impact than UHD.

The UHD threads on AVS are filled with pleased owners.

Edited by Richard L Bray, 28 June 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#2187 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:53 AM

Industry standards are pretty much set for UHD and even the new UHD players.  HDR is still in a state of flux; although shows lots of promise.  Since Scott wrote his article a few weeks ago, Amazon has made available an original series "Mozart in the Jungle" in HDR.  Netflix and Amazon both plan to use HDR in original programming starting next year.  They have used UHD for original programming the last year.  Between the two of them, I'm sure there is over a 100 hours of UHD programming currently available.

Bought my first UHD display (Samsung F9000) around 18 months ago.  They make a new one connect box (OCB) available annually that upgrades connections and features.  The current box SEK-3500 gives the F9000 the ability to receive input from the UHD players to be released later this year and also basic HDR.  Annual upgrades on the OCB keep the Samsung current in everything but actual panel capabilities. 

Bought a Samsung JS9500 a couple months ago that is a significant upgrade from the F9000.  It is the only fully capable UHD HDR set currently sold.  Video is amazing.  Actually, HDR probably has more impact than UHD.

The UHD threads on AVS are filled with pleased owners.

I'd much rather see posts that list the pros and cons of the TV models.  I realize that it's nice for people to be happy with their purchases, but I'd really like to see those cons right up there with their positive opinions.  So far, I've seen one, Drew2K posted in that manner as soon as he got settled in with his Sammy 4K.  I think that post is somewhere in this thread.  

This board is filled with posts complaining about TV providers and their equipment.  There have to be more people that can see things that are just wrong with the present crop of 4K sets.  Just because someone pays a lot for something doesn't make it the best thing they've ever bought, but that seems to be the trend on this thread.

Rich 

• MysteryMan and jimmie57 like this

#2188 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,852 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

Actually, HDR probably has more impact than UHD.

Agree. If folks think a particular 4k display looks better than a 2k display at normal viewing distances, it's likely due to improvements in color, contrast and brightness, not increased resolution.

/steve

#2189 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

This board is filled with posts complaining about TV providers and their equipment.  There have to be more people that can see things that are just wrong with the present crop of 4K sets.  Just because someone pays a lot for something doesn't make it the best thing they've ever bought, but that seems to be the trend on this thread.

I paid substantially more for my JS9000 set than I ever paid before.  I certainly understand your suspicion that my appreciation of the seemingly great picture results from a need to justify my investment.  When I can find some bad thing, I'll be sure to report back.  Looking, looking, ...

Greg

#2190 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

I paid substantially more for my JS9000 set than I ever paid before.  I certainly understand your suspicion that my appreciation of the seemingly great picture results from a need to justify my investment.  When I can find some bad thing, I'll be sure to report back.  Looking, looking, ...

I didn't have you in mind, I appreciated the comparison between the same plasma I have and the 4K.  That's another thing I look for.

Rich

#2191 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,321 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

It could be any real downside to the ones that have all the tech specs to get 4k won't show their differences between each other till we see a lot of 4k programming to start comparing them that way. Or at least the differences stand out more.
  • hdtvfan0001 likes this

#2192 OFFLINE   Oli74

Oli74

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationStaten Island

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

8K at Yankee Stadium

http://www.newsday.c...dium-1.10656463

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2193 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

I did not get my invatations.

#2194 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

Just (literally!) brought home a JS8500, possibly as a transitional purchase until HDR and other standards are concretized over the next year or two. Particularly looking forward to viewing Netflix, Amazon and YouTube 4k offerings as well as possibly participating in a 4k-tier beta testing program for CuriosityStream.  Also intend to upgrade my HR 24 to an HR 54 when available, while hoping the JS8500 proves compatible with any downstream DirecTV 4k linear programming (while noting in a few weeks some UK residents will enjoy access to a dedicated 4k channel, “BT Sport Ultra HD.”)

I had intended to buy a 4k computer system before acquiring a TV but in March was told by a CSR at a boutique manufacturer three 980 video cards (at that time Nvidia’s top-of-the-line product) would be required for 4k gaming. Thus, these items themselves would cost more than the JS8500, at least the 48” model now situated in my small “man cave.”  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, DTV, 4k, UHD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...