Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 4K UHD plans

DirecTV DTV 4k UHD

• Please log in to reply
2219 replies to this topic

#2201 OFFLINE   Al K

Al K

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

I thought the HR54 was capable of receiving 4k programming from sats with bonded transponders.

So if I want to use a C61, I need an HR54 to communicate with?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2202 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,597 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

I thought the HR54 was capable of receiving 4k programming from sats with bonded transponders.

So if I want to use a C61, I need an HR54 to communicate with?

that is what the rumor mill said. They also said the HR54 was HDCP 2.2... You can safely use a C61 with an HR34/44

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#2203 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,254 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Saw a reference today to a UHD streaming sports channel launching in Europe. BT says it requires 44 Mbps for 50 fps...that indicates somewhere north of 50 Mbps for 60 fps sports in the US. Since it is streaming that's taking into the account the highest momentary rate. That 44/50+ Mbps contrasts with Netflix requiring 15.6 Mbps, since Netflix is pre-encoded so it can be compressed a lot better, isn't live streaming so it only needs an average rate versus a peak rate, is 24 fps for movies and 30 fps for the rest rather than 50/60 fps, and isn't fast action sports.

That indicates that 4K sports channels are going to have a pretty heavy footprint when displaying live 4K sports, taking up essentially an entire transponder per channel (possibly more, that's what bonding would allow) though the bit rate demand should drop as real time encoders slowly improve over the next few years. The bit rate of their 4K PPV and other non-live programming should be more comparable to Netflix's offering, and they may fit up to 3 per transponder (depending on the modulation they end up choosing)

I wonder if Directv might end up blocking a couple 4K PPV channels against them when they aren't live and have much lower bit rate demands, so they can drop them when live 4K sports are aired and they need much greater bandwidth. Similar to how they do now with the RSN alts.

Edited by slice1900, 14 August 2015 - 02:32 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 23 H20-100, 7 H24-700/AM21

#2204 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,683 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

I don't think that is entirely true. The HR54 includes the hardware to support 4k satellite broadcast to the C61. It can be a multi purpose "Genie" for both 4k and 1080 customers with the same box without the expense of 4k HDMI support. It's a very logical way to support 4k as it slowly becomes available, especially since the RVU model doesn't seem to be working very well with all of the different brand issues.

'

You can use a c61k with any genie, a hr34, a hr44 a h44 and a hr54.  Toady.  We don't know if satellite bonding is in the plans, just that it could be.  I personally don't think it'll get used anytime soon, if ever, but who knows...  But as of today,. They all supply the same things.

#2205 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,254 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

'

You can use a c61k with any genie, a hr34, a hr44 a h44 and a hr54.  Toady.  We don't know if satellite bonding is in the plans, just that it could be.  I personally don't think it'll get used anytime soon, if ever, but who knows...  But as of today,. They all supply the same things.

Yes, we don't know for sure if the HR54 has a DVB-S2X chipset (required for bonded transponder support) if Directv will use them for 4K (I think it is virtually certain they will) and if they do whether they will do it from day one of 4K broadcasts or it won't be done until a few years down the road when the HR54 is getting long in the tooth anyway. Not worth worrying about, because if the HR54 is required to receive 4K broadcasts, anyone with an older Genie would have to be upgraded to it if they sign up for 4K service.

The chipsets that support DVB-S2X only became available this year, so unless the HR54 was designed fairly recently, or they changed that halfway through the testing cycle, I'm skeptical that it supports it. Doubly so because it seems a bit odd to have a receiver that can receive 4K broadcasts but not display them, but I suppose Directv could have legitimate financial/engineering reasons why they wanted that way.

#2206 ONLINE   Oli74

Oli74

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts
  • LocationStaten Island

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:09 AM

DirecTV expands 4K

http://www.bizjourna....html?ana=yahoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2207 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 44,393 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

DirecTV expands 4K

http://www.bizjourna....html?ana=yahoo

"Under AT&T’s umbrella, DirecTV is releasing a new set-top box for 4K Ultra HD programming.

The box, called the 4K Genie Mini DVR, is about the size of a paperback book and will allow more customers to watch 4K movies on their 4K televisions. It also supports Dolby Digital Plus audio decoding."

No date given, nor new information. The author does seem to be giving credit to AT&T for something DirecTV has been working on pre-merger.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#2208 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

"Under AT&T’s umbrella, DirecTV is releasing a new set-top box for 4K Ultra HD programming.

The box, called the 4K Genie Mini DVR, is about the size of a paperback book and will allow more customers to watch 4K movies on their 4K televisions. It also supports Dolby Digital Plus audio decoding."

No date given, nor new information. The author does seem to be giving credit to AT&T for something DirecTV has been working on pre-merger.

I think this article and others are just referring (inaccurately so) to the C61K 4K Genie Mini client.

http://dbstalk.com/i...nie-Mini-Client

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#2209 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,254 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

Yes, Directv hasn't announced anything new for 4K other than now with the C61K you can get 4K without having a TV that does 4K RVU. The offering has been unchanged since November, there is still only a small selection of overpriced 4K PPV movies.

#2210 ONLINE   Oli74

Oli74

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts
  • LocationStaten Island

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

4K coming to DirecTV in 2016

https://www.yahoo.co...-034537939.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2211 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

Does anybody know which DVR/Receiver that we need to get 4k in 2016?

#2212 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,597 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

Does anybody know which DVR/Receiver that we need to get 4k in 2016?

when DirecTV starts doing linear 4K and HR54 with a C61K would be required

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#2213 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

Can HR54 output in 4k, or do you have to have the C61K to a 4k tv?

#2214 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 744 posts
  • Location...- .. .-.. .-.. .- .--. .- .-. -.- .. .-..

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

Can HR54 output in 4k, or do you have to have the C61K to a 4k tv?

The HR54 can not output 4K on it's HDMI port. A C61 client is required.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Equipment: HR54-700 receiver, SlimLine 5 Antenna, 3D2RBLNRB0-01 LNB & CCK

Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA
W9ALN 

#2215 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

when DirecTV starts doing linear 4K and HR54 with a C61K would be required
Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Four or five months ago I e-mailed DT about compatable receivers for linear 4K and they said my HR44 would suffice. Now I'm really confused. Has DT actually released any public info about this?

#2216 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,254 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

Four or five months ago I e-mailed DT about compatable receivers for linear 4K and they said my HR44 would suffice. Now I'm really confused. Has DT actually released any public info about this?

When you emailed them they would only be talking about the 4K they offered at that time (or even today) which is merely a handful of overpriced VOD movies. HR44 is fine. When they begin broadcasting 4K channels early next year (with only two channels) a HR54 may be required, but there's also a chance it won't be required until sometime later, since their initial 4K broadcasts will be done using the "old" technology they use to deliver HD channels today.

So I'd just wait and see. If a HR54 is required, presumably Directv will upgrade those who sign up for 4K to that model. If it isn't required, by the time it is maybe something even better comes out. I don't really see the point of worrying about it now, unless you feel you must have everything ready for 4K the minute the channels go live.

In the long run you will not only need a newer receiver, but you'll also need the LNB in your dish replaced. Those new LNBs aren't even out yet.

• Smuuth and carl6 like this

#2217 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

When you emailed them they would only be talking about the 4K they offered at that time (or even today) which is merely a handful of overpriced VOD movies. HR44 is fine. When they begin broadcasting 4K channels early next year (with only two channels) a HR54 may be required, but there's also a chance it won't be required until sometime later, since their initial 4K broadcasts will be done using the "old" technology they use to deliver HD channels today.

So I'd just wait and see. If a HR54 is required, presumably Directv will upgrade those who sign up for 4K to that model. If it isn't required, by the time it is maybe something even better comes out. I don't really see the point of worrying about it now, unless you feel you must have everything ready for 4K the minute the channels go live.

In the long run you will not only need a newer receiver, but you'll also need the LNB in your dish replaced. Those new LNBs aren't even out yet.

Thank you. Will just wait and see how things play out.

#2218 OFFLINE   LWW

LWW

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:31 AM

I happened to be in Best Buy today for the first time in a while and noticed this next to the Samsung UHD display. You will notice a familiar logo.

attachicon.gif4kDTV-MOD.JPG

Has DirecTV announced 4K / UHD plans? This is probably on display at every Best Buy as well as other Samsung retailers....who are all clueless about UHD sources.

As far as I knew, DirecTV does not even have a unit with a UHD output.

Anyone shed any light?

I was promised a 4K DVR and GENIE on 5 November if I would resign with them. I was promised that it wouldn't cost me a dime and no equipment changes would be required other than taking out my HR34 and hooking up my 4K GENIE DVR.

I bought a 4K TV and have had 2 techs come to my house with a 4K client that they would gladly install, increasing my bill by $6.50 each month, and relocating my HR34 to another room and losing my hookup with an expensive surround sound system. They told me the 4K GENIE DVR wouldn't be available until January in this market, but it certainly did exist.

I called DIRECTV customer no service and was told the tech was clueless. All they needed to do was install the client box and be out the door. It wouldn't cost me a dime and nothing else would change ... and the 4K GENIE DVR would be out soon and I would get one then "FREE." I was switched to voice verification and told my "FREE" 4K client would cost me $160.

Back to customer no service, and they assured me that voice verification was wrong and it wouldn't cost me a dime. This time voice verification told me it would only cost me $106.

Back to customer no service, and they assured me that voice verification was wrong and it wouldn't cost me a dime. This time VV agreed and they would send a tech back out.

This tech actually had a clue and we shared that he had been through such nonsense with a number of customers recently. He had the same 4K client and the story was identical ... $6.50 a month if I wanted it, my old DVR had to be moved to another room.

The bottom line is that the box doesn't exactly exist but DIRECTV will tell a customer anything to get them to sign up.

#2219 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

...The bottom line is that the box doesn't exactly exist but DIRECTV will tell a customer anything to get them to sign up.

There is a Genie for 4k, the HR54, but it will deliver 4k linear content only through a client, the C61. The HR54 is not yet in stock in all markets and there is no linear 4k content yet. The set up you were given is all that is necessary for the current 4k VOD content. All of this has been discussed thoroughly in the and other Satellite forums.

#2220 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

It's too early to say how linear 4k content will work.  We just have to wait to see.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, DTV, 4k, UHD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...