Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation Questions with Diagram

SL354NR4-01 GENIE HD DVR HR34-700 MSPLIT8R1-03 SPLITTER INSTALLATION DIAGRAM

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

There are all kinds of frequencies floating arounds us and an open port in a system is an open door for these frequencies to ingress to the system that can potentially cause interference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

What does it do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

An unterminated port will cause reflections that will travel out the other ports on that splitter and messes up the impedance slightly, which adds a bit of loss. It was really more of a problem for analog, since the impedance being off could cause visible issues (i.e. ghosting) but digital tuners can easily overcome that type of issue. It also allows frequencies to get onto the coax, which could theoretically be a problem if you have a very strong transmitter nearby (if you live in the shadow of a cell tower or broadcast tower)

I've never heard of a case that was absolutely definitely fixed by adding a terminator. In the rare cases where one is reported to "fix" an issue, I'll bet the system is so close to the edge that just moving a coax cable or tightening/loosing a connector slightly is just as likely to have a similar effect. Sort of like the TS's situation, where removing a terminator temporarily "fixed" his issue, just like power cycling and replacing the PI also briefly helped. When you have a situation like that where the real problem is just being tweaked by unrelated factors, termination can appear to "fix" an issue, at least long enough for the Directv installer to leave :)

If you have a DECA install that's on the raggedy edge, i.e. a SWM16 with long runs, then termination might make a difference you could (barely) notice in a DECA test.

Edited by slice1900, 23 June 2014 - 11:22 AM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#43 OFFLINE   patmd

patmd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

If you look at the first entry in this thread, it says the 8 way splitter was bad and I replaced it and all was well.  After working well for over a week, the same symptoms reoccurred.  The HR34/700 receiver worked but none of the 3 mini clients or the 1 HD receiver could find the server.  I restarted, checked connections, restarted the router to no avail.  However, it worked again and found all the clients and receiver as soon as I replaced the splitter again.  That leads me to conclude that something is causing my splitter to fail.  When I run the system test I get the attached screens.  Occasionally it says "hardware failure".  Internal temp was 123 just before I took these pics and the temp had dropped to 111. 

Would appreciate any insight.  Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2546.JPG
  • IMG_2547.JPG
  • IMG_2548.JPG
  • IMG_2549.JPG
  • IMG_2550.JPG
  • IMG_2551.JPG

#44 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

I would question whether the splitters are really failing. It is pretty rare for them to fail, and for multiple splitters to fail in the same system within a short time seems exceeding unlikely. Can you test one of your "failed" splitters on some non-Directv setup, like using it to split cable or OTA? Bet it works just fine.

The problem is something else, and messing with the splitters is effectively causing some type of reset when power and/or SWM signals are lost that temporarily fixes it. Similar to the people who have a problem and report "power cycling the PI fixes it for a while" or "rebooting the receiver fixes it for a while".

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Given a choice, I'd rather not see the error, but I don't know how to do that.  Are the instructions for that within reason for you to post? 

Thanks, again.  You've helped me a lot already and I am very happy with my system and setup.

Ignore it. The only thing it has to do with is for one telephone company that allows you to access your voicemail via DIRECTV boxes. If you aren't doing that it's useless. It's not worth setting up ports and all in your router net around the thing you'll never use anyway.

It's truly meaningless.

not sure if this has anything to do with this but I was not able to watch DirecTV everywhere in my LAN without having those ports fixed 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

If you look at the first entry in this thread, it says the 8 way splitter was bad and I replaced it and all was well.  After working well for over a week, the same symptoms reoccurred.  

you are looking in the wrong spot.  you should be looking at your Coax signals and phy mesh by pressing guide and right arrow on your Genie 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

Could be due to your thinking still being influenced by the way previous legacy voltage/tone multi-switches operate long before SWiM existed.

Their unused outlet ports need no termination and could in fact even malfunction if terminated, since there was no satellite signal output available on them unless there was a receiver connected to them to request it.

You'd think maybe but no. I specifically remembered that from swim but I can't for the life of me figure out why. :lol:

spam firewall