Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite 61.5 Signal Loss

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

Hello fellow members.  I have a question about the 61.5 satellite for the eastern arc dish.

We recently started having picture quality issues with some of our locals (63052 zip code), mostly during storms but wind would also do it.  I received "complete signal loss" error messages during storms.

So - I trimmed trees and tried peaking the dish (using receiver and TV).  My best numbers so far are as follows:

Sat 61.5 = 29%

Sat 72.7 = 50%

Sat 77 = 75%

I'm going to try peaking it again this morning.  I will concentrate on Sat 72.7, and then perhaps try the skew to see if I can get the other two a little better.

Dish tech support was not much help, although they eventually confirmed that 70% or better was desirable.  I can't recall what the signal was like back in 2009 when they installed the dish, but it was pretty good.  I live in a heavily wooded area and trying to shoot over or in between some trees. I have good line of site using the LNB arm as my guide (plus several degrees left and right).

Doe anyone have some tips for peaking beyond the typical:

- two people with walkie talkies

- slowly sweeping dish till I get max signal on 72.7

- check and fine tune skew for max peaking of other two

Seems like there must be a trick with optimizing the skew.

Thanks for any input or suggestions

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

72 signal is fine, but it could be a couple of points higher (mid 50's) depending on which transponder you are on. 77 doesn't need to be that high especially if you don't have your locals or any foreign language channels from it. 61.5 should be higher, at least into mid 50's. A slight adjustment should be all you need.

Edited by garys, 16 June 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,045 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

if you could get on your smartphone or a tablet some app like Satellite AR, then check where are your sats against trees; without finding what's going with LOS on each sat you will waste your time to try re-aim the dish; perhaps you must move it to other location (sometime just 3" would make big difference) or put it on 6" pole/extension instead of generic J-mount.

#4 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

if you could get on your smartphone or a tablet some app like Satellite AR, then check where are your sats against trees; without finding what's going with LOS on each sat you will waste your time to try re-aim the dish; perhaps you must move it to other location (sometime just 3" would make big difference) or put it on 6" pole/extension instead of generic J-mount.

Thanks,

I think you are right.  I tried adjusting this morning and there was no change.  I'm guessing I still have some trees in the way.

I'll look for one of the smart phone apps and give it a try.

#5 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Just a quick update. I purchased the smartphone app that shows satellite locations on the horizon. It looks like 61 an perhaps 71 are partially obscured by trees. I tried to find a better location, but living in the woods makes it challenging. I will probably try trimming some more try limbs this weekend and see how it goes before doing major surgery on the roof.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,045 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

that apps Satellite AR is free ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...