Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tech Installation Question

Install Technician

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Timshow72

Timshow72

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPerryopolis, Pennsylvania

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

I am getting a Genie upgrade on 6/18. My current setup is 2 HR24's and 2 H24's. I am replacing Both H24 with the Genie and 2 wireless mini's as well as keeping both HR24's. This will give me 5 TV's and 9 total tuners. I have a pole mounted dish about 30 feet from my house (to overcome the angle of the trees that line my Property). I have ALREADY run 4 wires through conduit from the dish to the house and have installed a waterproof box on the side of my house to contain the swm-16 for the expanded tuners. My Questions are...Am I missing anything that would make the tech's job easier? What amount of tip seems appropriate for this type of install? and should I give him the tip first before he starts? Will this "grease the skids"?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

You are as prepared as you can be. talk the tech regarding HR44 availability thanking him if he has one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by peds48, 17 June 2014 - 08:00 AM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   revolg

revolg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

Wish I had customers like this lol. Most techs will only have 44s on them anymore. At least I know we haven't put 34s in, in over a year. And I swap 34s if I run across a service call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

Tip the tech after the job. The amount is up to you. If you can

afford sat tv, you should be able to give a nice tip. I have tipped

from $20 up to $50, depending on the complexity of the install,

the tech's attitude and how well he follows my special requests.

After all, it is my house.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   revolg

revolg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Tip the tech after the job. The amount is up to you. If you can
afford sat tv, you should be able to give a nice tip. I have tipped
from $20 up to $50, depending on the complexity of the install,
the tech's attitude and how well he follows my special requests.
After all, it is my house.

as a technician, I don't expect to be tipped but when you honestly try to do the best you can and you spend the time doing a job being tipped even 10 bucks for lunch makes Ur day feel great.

#6 OFFLINE   Timshow72

Timshow72

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

Thanks to all for the input. I will post my results later today or in the morning.

#7 OFFLINE   revolg

revolg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

Good luck

#8 OFFLINE   Timshow72

Timshow72

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

Well, the installation is complete. As a result of the bad weather here in western Pennsylvania yesterday, I was ready to hear that my installation was canceled, but that was not the case. My technician arrived at 2:30 where I went over everything that I had done. He was somewhat impressed that I had taken the time to lay out everything for him. He went about his business getting all of the connections completed. when he was done he came in and started setting up the HR44. he was starting to get some conflicting information during the setup so he went back to my panel and started to go through each connection. this led to us having to pull the wire out of the conduit where i had a splice connection, this wire was not connected!!!!! My advice to all of you DIY'ers like myself, try to avoid as many connections that you can and if the are unavoidable make sure that they are correct. After I apologized for my shoddy work, he was able to get the Genie up and running. My technician, Justin,  was a very personable guy who I come to find out lives not to far from me, so that was a positive. after setting up the wireless clients he was done. He showed me his badge to make sure that I saw it. I gave him a $20 tip, which he at first did not want to take, but I convinced him otherwise. So overall installation experience was a positive. the genie is so responsive compared to my 24's. I look forward to getting to know the system better. Thanks again to all for advice. 

#9 OFFLINE   revolg

revolg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Awesome!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Install, Technician

Protected By... spam firewall...And...