Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Finding an empty spot on building's splitter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   j_three

j_three

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

So I've recently moved and am just now getting around to thinking about having my Directv moved. They want a few hundred to come and do the install which I'd like to avoid paying since it's not that hard to do. There's literally 20 years worth of dishes up on the roof (There's at least one RCA one still up there) so I wanna reuse one of those. There's a World Direct dish up there with an 8 way splitter attached to it that looks promising. I figure with the way people move in NYC at least one of those spaces on the splitter is now vacant.

My question is how to test which spot is empty. My idea is getting a multimeter and testing each cable for voltage, with a dead one being an open/unused space. Is this a good idea or is there a right/better way to do this? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,006 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

First rule: Do not unhook anything that is connected anyplace. You either need your own dish, or you need to be properly connected to a dish that is designed to support more than one customer.

Second rule: Do not connect to anyone elses dish or splitter or multiswitch. It is so very easy to screw something up.

There are two technologies used for residential DirecTV these days. SWM (single wire multiswitch), and legacy multiswitch. They are entirely different. There are different technologies being used in some multi-dwelling units (MDU), and you can actually damage your equipment, or someone elses equipment, by connecting to it incorrectly.

You need to have the install done properly by a trained installer/technician.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,403 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

You need to have the install done properly by a trained installer/technician.

While I agree with this 100%, sadly it does not apply in NYC buildings, trust me I wish this would stop.

Second rule: Do not connect to anyone elses dish or splitter or multiswitch. It is so very easy to screw something up.

NYC is relegated to the subcontractors which are known to use someone else's dish.  sad

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

My question is how to test which spot is empty. My idea is getting a multimeter and testing each cable for voltage, with a dead one being an open/unused space. Is this a good idea or is there a right/better way to do this? Thanks!

This is about the only way, short of actually finding  an open spot on a dish/switch

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,934 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

There's literally 20 years worth of dishes up on the roof (There's at least one RCA one still up there) so I wanna reuse one of those.

What DIRECTV services do you subscribe to and what receiver(s) do you have?

There's a World Direct dish up there with an 8 way splitter attached to it that looks promising.

It is important to use the correct terminology in reference to devices used to distribute satellite signals. The World Direct dish must use a "multiswitch" as opposed to a "splitter". Splitters have their place with DIRECTV but it isn't in the sense that you're talking about.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   j_three

j_three

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

While I agree with this 100%, sadly it does not apply in NYC buildings, trust me I wish this would stop.

NYC is relegated to the subcontractors which are known to use someone else's dish.  sad

Yeah, the contractor that did the first install did such a ****** job. No sealant on the hole, no rain loop, the power inserter was stapled to the wall. Looked like 3 apartments shared that one dish. 

What DIRECTV services do you subscribe to and what receiver(s) do you have?
It is important to use the correct terminology in reference to devices used to distribute satellite signals. The World Direct dish must use a "multiswitch" as opposed to a "splitter". Splitters have their place with DIRECTV but it isn't in the sense that you're talking about.

I have an hr-44 Genie and a GenieGo. 

You're right, It's the older multiplexed dish not the newer SWM one. Sorry, Didn't even think about it since I haven't really dealt with installing a dish in years since my old DirecTivo was indestructible. Wish I had brought it with me, I know half those SD dishes aren't being used anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   j_three

j_three

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'm stuck paying the fee to Directv for an SWM dish. Is there any way to find an installer contractor myself without having to schedule it through directv? 300 bucks is a lot to pay for someone who's going to do a sloppy job. Or am I better off documenting the sloppy job and complaining for some account credits?

#8 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

an authorized independant directv dealer is not going to be getting paid from directv for doing this. $300 seems reasonable.  We would be charging around that much and possibly more for a new reflector and installation ourselves.  let directv send out their subs, and take pictures of their shoddy work.

#9 OFFLINE   j_three

j_three

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

an authorized independant directv dealer is not going to be getting paid from directv for doing this. $300 seems reasonable.  We would be charging around that much and possibly more for a new reflector and installation ourselves.  let directv send out their subs, and take pictures of their shoddy work.

K. Thanks again guys!

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

I hate working in the city, otherwise I would of gave you a hand 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...