Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Check my numbers please

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   speedlever

speedlever

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

I left E* a few years ago due to a combination of price hike aggravation and too many instances of rain fade. I moved to a F/O service (Plex) which hasn't been bad, but once again, price hikes have been aggravating. In addition, the DVR that Plex offers falls far short of the one we had in the VIP722k receiver (we left before the Hopper came out).

So once again, I am contemplating changing service... largely due to a conversation I had with a D* rep in Costco the other day. I have become intrigued with satellite... again. ;)

Forget the promos... I'll take that FWIW, but I want to know what my costs are when the dust settles. When I go to the website (they've all changed since I last price checked satellite and seem more confusing than ever), I get one number... which differs from what a chat session indicates.

We watch little if any prime time, but do like to watch and record multiple sporting events (ACC basketball, racing, etc.), cooking and food networks, and HGTV and some news. No premium channels, but will record an interesting movie that comes on the standard package channels occasionally. I also like the option to stream to my phone or tablet if I'm not home to watch whatever is live at the moment... primarily sporting events. So E*'s PTAT will not be important to us.

I want coverage for 3 TVs (mix of SD and HDTV).

From the respective websites, here's what I come up with:

D*:

Xtra package ($74), Genie, 2 Genie mini receivers, and 2 additional TVs ($12), the basic protection option ($8), receiver service set up on Autopay ($15): $109 plus taxes. Chat session priced that at $99/month plus taxes.

E*:

AT250 ($80), Hopper and 2 Joeys including protection plan ($26): $106 plus taxes.

For all practical purposes, those are the same price unless I missed something. I don't care for unwelcome surprises, so please let me know what I may have missed that will affect 2nd year pricing and beyond.

In comparison, my current Plex service runs about $105/month with whole house DVR. (actually less than that because it's bundled... but for comparison purposes, that'll do).

What have I missed, if anything? I'm leaning to D* since I've never had them before, and I don't have the restrictions of PTAT recording. I never had any trouble with E* telephone support... or Plex support to this point. Of course I've read horror stories on all the satellite providers... so that seems like a crap shoot.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

I don't care for unwelcome surprises, so please let me know what I may have missed that will affect 2nd year pricing and beyond.

I will just add a couple of points since you will be a brand new customer.

As part of the new customer offer you will be receiving NFL Sunday Ticket for the 2014-15 season included, if you decide you do not want it after the season ends you must call to cancel the auto-renew after the season ends. If you do not want the charges to appear on your bill prior to the 2015-16 season, now your bill will have a notice of the auto renewal with $0.00 line items on the June statement with billing beginning in July. I am just giving you a large heads up as so many customers are not full explained this by the sales people at Costco, Sams Club, etc. Once the 2015-16 season begins you cannot cancel NFL ST in part of full. 

*The only exception to this would be if you sign up subscribing to Select or Entertainment base packages as they do not include NFL ST in the new customer offer.

HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, and Cinemax are included free for 3 months; you receive three -$48 bill credits towards them that cover the cost. If you do not cancel before the fourth billing cycle starts you will continue to pay $48 extra on your bill. You must call to cancel these channels if you do not want to be billed after three months, and they cannot be canceled online. 

*The only exception to this would be if you are subscribing to Premier package initially then you would simply not receive the -$48 bill credits after 3 months but still continue to receive the channels since they are included with this package only. 

-If you still decide that you want to keep some premium channels after 3 months you certainly can do that, and the regular pricing is as follows:

Any single premium (except HBO) $13.99 mo.
HBO only $17.99 mo.
2 Premiums (no HBO) $25 mo.
2 Premiums (with HBO) $30 mo.
3 Premiums (no HBO) $35 mo.
3 Premiums (with HBO) $40 mo.
4 Premiums (no HBO) $43 mo.
4 Premiums (with HBO) $48 mo.
All 5 Premiums $55 mo.

Lastly, you may incur an Regional Sports Network (RSN) Fee you can enter your zip code in the link to see if this applies to your area.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

receiver service set up on Autopay ($15): 

Also, Advanced Receiver Service increases to $25 total after 24 months. (once the applicable $10 credit falls off after 24 months). This fee includes HD Access, Whole Home Service and DVR Service combined into one charge that is for the entire account no matter how many HDDVRs you have.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...