Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Two Tvs, Two Genie's One Remote

RC65RX Genie Remote

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bearfan60

Bearfan60

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

First, due to the information on this board, I've programmed both Genie boxes to AV1 and AV2 using IRs.

One of the TVs is programmed, but I don't know how to program the other TV to the remote.  I would ideally like AV1 to control one box and one TV and AV2 to control the other box and other TV.

Thank you for enlightening me to this!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Two Genies?  are those HR34s or HR44s?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Bearfan60

Bearfan60

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

Sorry, it's the clients, the C31-700s.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

are these C31s in the same room?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

I don't think you can do what you want with the DirecTV remote. It can handle a couple of DirecTV units, as you have found, but it is only designed to work with one TV.  You might want to consider a universal remote of some type.

I have two systems (2 DirecTV units and 2 TVs) side by side in one room, and use two DirecTV remotes. While they are both programmed to both DVRs, each controls only one TV.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

I don't think you can do what you want with the DirecTV remote. It can handle a couple of DirecTV units, as you have found, but it is only designed to work with one TV.  You might want to consider a universal remote of some type.

I have two systems (2 DirecTV units and 2 TVs) side by side in one room, and use two DirecTV remotes. While they are both programmed to both DVRs, each controls only one TV.

you can actually program a TV code to any of the AV spots. 

So you can have a DirecTV code in DirecTV mode and AV1 and a TV in AV2 and TV mode

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

If you do that, when the slider switch is in the DTV or AV1 position, which TV does the volume control and "DTV&TV" power buttons respond to?  I am not aware of any way to program a regular DTV remote to use different TV modes when switching between two DirecTV receivers by changing the slider switch to DTV or AV1.

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

First, due to the information on this board, I've programmed both Genie boxes to AV1 and AV2 using IRs.

One of the TVs is programmed, but I don't know how to program the other TV to the remote.  I would ideally like AV1 to control one box and one TV and AV2 to control the other box and other TV.

Thank you for enlightening me to this!

I think that if that could be done it would be very confusing for a user. I have never heard of this before. 

You certainly can operate 2 or even 3 DirecTV receivers by sliding the selector to AV1 and AV2 and putting in a different code.

If there was a second TV how would the volume know what to operate, TV1 or TV2 ?

I have 2 remotes to operate 1 TV and just 1 receiver. I use component cables run to the TV and an optical cable run to the AV receiver.

One remote operates the TV and the TV speakers for the sound.  The second one operates the TV and the surround sound system.

It is very easy to tell which remote is for what if you just put one of the stickers on the face of it between the volume and channel buttons.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

If you do that, when the slider switch is in the DTV or AV1 position, which TV does the volume control and "DTV&TV" power buttons respond to?  I am not aware of any way to program a regular DTV remote to use different TV modes when switching between two DirecTV receivers by changing the slider switch to DTV or AV1.

Well, you would need to slide the switch back and forth, is very inconvenient but the OP did not say they are looking for convenience 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RC65RX, Genie, Remote

Protected By... spam firewall...And...