Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Install of HR44 went well

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SteelersFan

SteelersFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

Just had my old HR21 replaced with a Genie and everything with the install went well.  I now have two HR22's, an HR24 and the HR44-700.  The installer replaced my SWM 8 with a SWM 16.  He also replaced a couple older cables with thicker RG6 and capped off some old cables when once upon a time two were needed for each receiver location.

The Genie is incredibly responsive albeit the remote takes a little getting used to.  The swap-out took about an hour, but a lot of that was him checking the other receivers to make sure they still received signals, etc.  I was very pleased with how it went and am happy that I can record 11 shows now at one time. LOL.  Just thought I'd share a successful upgrade story.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update. 

Is nice to hear success stories every now and then. 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Just had my old HR21 replaced with a Genie and everything with the install went well.  I now have two HR22's, an HR24 and the HR44-700.  The installer replaced my SWM 8 with a SWM 16.  He also replaced a couple older cables with thicker RG6 and capped off some old cables when once upon a time two were needed for each receiver location.

The Genie is incredibly responsive albeit the remote takes a little getting used to.  The swap-out took about an hour, but a lot of that was him checking the other receivers to make sure they still received signals, etc.  I was very pleased with how it went and am happy that I can record 11 shows now at one time. LOL.  Just thought I'd share a successful upgrade story.

Is the SWiM-16 probably tagged?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   SteelersFan

SteelersFan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

Is the SWiM-16 probably tagged?

Tagged?

#5 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

He's probably talking about in the system so they know you have a swim16. Don't worry about that, its meaningless at this point. Glad it went well for ya!

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Tagged?

Are the lines tagged at the SWiM-16? As each side can only have 8-tuners.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#7 OFFLINE   SteelersFan

SteelersFan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Are the lines tagged at the SWiM-16? As each side can only have 8-tuners.

I don't know about tagged but he basically just plugged each receiver cable into the SWM. One line to each receiver for a total of 4 and then one extra line to my DECA near one of the receivers.

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

You mean labeled? I don't know if the installers typically do that, but it is pretty easy for the end user to do themselves if they think it is important. Just disconnect one SWM16 output and see what loses signal :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

I don't know about tagged but he basically just plugged each receiver cable into the SWM. One line to each receiver for a total of 4 and then one extra line to my DECA near one of the receivers.

You went from 8-tuners to 11-tuners. 

Better to have the cables probably tagged/labeled now, when everything is working, then when you have a problem and you are aggravated.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#10 OFFLINE   SteelersFan

SteelersFan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

You went from 8-tuners to 11-tuners. 

Better to have the cables probably tagged/labeled now, when everything is working, then when you have a problem and you are aggravated.

I don't think it's that complicated.  The SWM is in my attic and basically I can visually see where each cable goes.   The two he didn't use he just disconnected at the SWM. He used a coaxial shorter to test which were the active ones.  Probably slightly more scientific than unscrewing and seeing if I have a signal  :grin:

#11 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

I don't think it's that complicated.  The SWM is in my attic and basically I can visually see where each cable goes.   The two he didn't use he just disconnected at the SWM. He used a coaxial shorter to test which were the active ones.  Probably slightly more scientific than unscrewing and seeing if I have a signal  :grin:

First, he didn't "just plug each receiver cable into the SWM".  The SWM16 has two outputs.  With your setup he probably connected one output directly to your Genie and the second output to a 4 way splitter, which he ran to the three HR2x's and the DECA.

There are a lot of posts here from people who also "don't think it's that complicated" until they do something and then have a problem.  For example, if you wanted to swap the locations of your Genie and one of your other DVR's, something would stop working properly because you'd have too many tuners on the side of the SWM16 where the splitter is connected.  In order to correct this, you would need to know which coax is going to the new location of the Genie and plug that cable directly into the SWM, while moving the cable that's already in the SWM to the now-vacant port on the splitter.

#12 OFFLINE   SteelersFan

SteelersFan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Yea, you're right.  I forgot about the splitters.  I could see where labels would help, but I really don't believe it to be that complicated.  The Genie is the only real concern here and if I decided (which I won't in the foreseeable future) to move its location, all I would need to do is take the cable run from the existing DVR where it's to be moved and swap it with the cable run of the Genie in the splitter.  I just need to remember that the Genie run is taking up five of the eight tuners in the run.  

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

I just need to remember that the Genie run is taking up five of the eight tuners in the run.  

That's the key to it not being complicated.  I believe that the point of the original suggestion was that labeling the cables is a good reminder 3 or 4 years from now, when a change is made and you can't remember what it was that you needed to remember.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

labeling cables makes too much sense and as such is one of the things no one does.  sad....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

I've purchased audio/video gear from Crutchfield since the nineties. With every purchase they send their cable labels. Great way to keep things organized.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,398 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

Great idea, but I may have gotten a bad batch.  Six months later, they were all on the floor or bottom of the cabinet.

I do suggest labeling the cables and even a block diagram and a couple of smartphone pictures.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Great idea, but I may have gotten a bad batch.  Six months later, they were all on the floor or bottom of the cabinet.

I do suggest labeling the cables and even a block diagram and a couple of smartphone pictures.

Typical labels can't take much heat. I used a label maker to make my labels and they would come off, so I added some scotch tape and they have stayed in place since.

Edited by slice1900, 21 June 2014 - 01:44 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

spam firewall