Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Audio Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GregE

GregE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Apologies it this has been discussed previously, could not find anything similar. I have an HR34-700 and using a 2 TB external HDD, software X870. Every few weeks I will turn on the TV and have picture but no audio. If I disable DD in audio settings there will be an extremely, extremely loud high pitched tone, but no audio again when DD is again chosen. This happened with previous software version but seems to be happening more often after the new software. Only a reboot will get the audio back. Tech support was clueless. I have turned off power saving mode to see if this makes any difference. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is there a fix?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Have you tried changing channels, from say a 1080i to a 720p or a 480i channel. Changing to a channel that has a different resolution will cause a new Handshake to take place and might get it going.

Or, turn off just the TV and turn it back on ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

How is your HR34's Audio OUT connected to your TV?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

If you are using HDMI as your connection, you can probably fix the problem by forcing a handshake or at least a DD resync. Instead of changing channels, hit the back button (the button that replays the last 1.5 seconds or so). When it finishes backing up and then starts playing again, the sound may restart. I've used this trick many times between my HR44 and Onkyo SR605 Home Theater Receiver and it works almost all the time. If you are watching a recording you can use the skip ahead (actually called SLIP) and get the same result.The back button is faster.

Every few versions (new firmware)  this problem will come and go on various setups, it is very minor, but annoying. 

Another issue that has come up (again), is the audio doesn't start right away after doing a FF, RW or Slip Ahead...I miss a few words. Again, an HDMI or DD issue.

This is why I never say, "They finally fixed ...". Nothing is ever finally fixed, or rarely so. As new firmware comes down the pike we get 4 things:

1. New Features

2. New Bugs

3. Fixed bugs

4. Resurfacing of Old Bugs

...and then we start all over again. This is  not a complaint, just describing what happens and what to expect. After nearly 8 years, I'm kinda used to it. :grin:

Edited by hasan, 21 June 2014 - 02:17 PM.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   GregE

GregE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

I have tried changing channels, didn't do anything. Currently have output set to 1080i for all as my AV preamp sometimes had issues going from 1080i to 720p and vice versa. This problem preceded the change in settings. Turning receiver off and on has no effect. Have not tried turning TV off and on, but TV is not directly connected to the HR34. This never happened with previous HR20 or 21. 

#6 OFFLINE   GregE

GregE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

@Hasan Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it next time it happens. I am using an HDMI connection. 

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

I have tried changing channels, didn't do anything. Currently have output set to 1080i for all as my AV preamp sometimes had issues going from 1080i to 720p and vice versa. This problem preceded the change in settings. Turning receiver off and on has no effect. Have not tried turning TV off and on, but TV is not directly connected to the HR34. This never happened with previous HR20 or 21. 

Can you try running a digital coax or optical cable from the DTV receiver to the AVR and run the HDMI directly to the TV to see if that cures the problem ?

I run an Optical cable to my Yamaha for surround sound.  This takes the sound out of the HDMI handshake.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   GregE

GregE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

@jimmie57 Even if this solved the audio problem I would hate to run the HDMI directly to the TV as I have a Pioneer Kuro that was professionally calibrated, the calibrator also used adjustments on the Anthem AV preamp to get the picture near perfect.  

#9 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

@jimmie57 Even if this solved the audio problem I would hate to run the HDMI directly to the TV as I have a Pioneer Kuro that was professionally calibrated, the calibrator also used adjustments on the Anthem AV preamp to get the picture near perfect.  

I understand, but doing this , could possibly help point to where your problem is located.

#10 OFFLINE   GregE

GregE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

@Hasan Update, it happened again yesterday. I tried the skip ahead button on recorded and back button on live without effect, only a reboot restored the sound. I've turned off power saving mode again to see if this makes any difference. 

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

@Hasan Update, it happened again yesterday. I tried the skip ahead button on recorded and back button on live without effect, only a reboot restored the sound. I've turned off power saving mode again to see if this makes any difference. 

Darn HDMI timing requirements! If either end of the system (TV or Sat Box) is just a bit off tolerance, you can get what you are experiencing. We had this problem all the time early on with the HR20-700 and D* was issuing patches all the time trying to fix particular models of TVs to the box, not to even mention the problem the Home Theater systems have exposed. I've got an SR605 Onkyo and have not had problems in a long, long time, in fact I use a Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch on both the HR44-700 and HR24-200 without issue. At this point, I think you are stuck waiting for an update to fix it, then hope the next update doesn't break it.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

I don't think that trick play buttons like skip ahead will cause a new HDMI handshake.  Set the AVR to a different input then back to HDMI.  That will force a handshake for sure.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#13 OFFLINE   GregE

GregE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

I don't think that trick play buttons like skip ahead will cause a new HDMI handshake.  Set the AVR to a different input then back to HDMI.  That will force a handshake for sure.

I've tried that, it doesn't work, so far only a reboot restores sound. 

#14 OFFLINE   GregE

GregE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Happened again this morning with power saving mode off. Tried turning AV preamp on and off and TV on and off a few times, still no sound. After DVR reboot sound was restored. This is getting old real fast. Don't want a new DVR as I'd lose too many recordings. Thanks to all who responded to this thread. 

spam firewall