Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting an R22-100 to a Slimline-3S (SWM)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   barrywebb

barrywebb

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Hi, new to the forum. I've tried looking for the answer in existing posts but have come up blank. 

I have a new SWM installation but would like to connect my old R22-100 that I used with my old round dish setup. 

This is what I have:

Slimeline-3S (SWM)
MSPLIT4R1-03 (4-Way Wide Band SWM Splitter)

DCA2SR0-18 (DECA Receiver II)
EPS10R1-16 Power Supply
HR44/500 Genie Receiver
R22-100 Receiver (Twin tuner)

My 4-Way splitter is configured:

Input from the dish
1 x output to the  DCA2SR0-18 (DECA Receiver
1 x output to the EPS10R1-16 Power Supply
1 x output to the HR44/500 receiver
1 x output free (currently has a standard 75 ohm terminated connected)

I would like to use both tuners on the R22-100. I only have one spare output on the 4-way splitter. Can I simply add a 2-way splitter and feed both tuners or do I need to add something else as well (like a Band Stop Filter)? Or would it be better to change the 4-way splitter to an 9-way (nobody seems to make a 6-way splitter) with a Band Stop Filter if necessary?

If I want to use the whole home DVR feature (as well as online streaming), I need to connect the ethernet port on the R22-100 to a DECA. If I do this, does it matter which of the two Ethernet ports on the R22-100 I connect to?

If I don't want to use the whole home DVR feature, can I simply connect one of the Ethernet ports on the R22-100 to my network swicth/router? Again, does it matter which of the two Ethernet ports on the R22-100 I use? In the previous non-SWM setup, I used the top port and it worked just fine.

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks
Barry 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Your R22 is SWM-capable, so simply connect an RG6 coax cable from the unused splitter output to your R22's SAT1/SWM Input.  Only one coax is cable is needed to feed both DVR tuners with SWM.  

You  might need to call DirecTV, though, to activate your R22 as an HD DVR because it's not set that way by default.  And, depending upon how long it's been disconnected, they may need to reauthorize its subscription (assuming it's still active on your account).  And they'll need to activate WHDVR sharing if you want that feature.

If your HR44 is connected to your home network for internet access, then the R22 will be also via the SWM coax network.  No additional network connection can be used.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   barrywebb

barrywebb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hi litzdog911

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just to clarify, I don't need a DECA for the R22 (or anything else come to that), just connect it to the local network via the Ethernet cable. 

Does it matter which Ethernet port I use on the R22?

Thanks for your help.
Barry 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Yes you need a DECA for the R22 to be able to join the coax network. The Ethernet cable connects to the top port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

No, the R22 needs a receiver DECA module connected to its rear and then a single coax run from the splitter connects to the ODU (or LNB) side of the DECA module on the R22.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   barrywebb

barrywebb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hi peds48, HoTat2

I misread what litzdog911 was saying:

"If your HR44 is connected to your home network for internet access, then the R22 will be also via the SWM coax network.  No additional network connection can be used"

So if I want Whole-Home DVR, I need to connect the R22 to the network via the SWM coax using a DECA

But if I don't care about the Whole-Home DVR and just want streaming for the R22, I can just connect the R22 to the network via an Ethernet cable.

Thanks for your help.

Barry

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

Of course they're correct. You'll need a Deca for your R22.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...