Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 w/external HD question

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Folks...I have two HR24s, one owned which is completely stock, and one leased with an external 2TB hard drive.  We are leaving DirecTV later this summer.  The question is....can I take the external HD on the leased receiver and use it for playback only on the owned receiver?  I know I can't use it for recording but couldn't remember if I could do playback only on it and if so, how it needs to be set up.

When I hook it up to the owned receiver, it will NOT be connected to satellite and I intend on disconnecting the receivers from satellite well before the account is closed.

thanks!  mn

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,844 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

It won't work... recordings are tied to the receiver they're on.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hopefully one day soon DirecTV catches on and let us use external drives on other DVRs just like Dish.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Well, one more reason to leave, then!  :bang

Thanks, folks.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Why people always think they should be able to record and use their dvr as a permanent storage facility even after you turn off service is beyond me.

• bmetelsky likes this

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

Why people always think they should be able to record and use their dvr as a permanent storage facility even after you turn off service is beyond me.

This is a good point and one that I agree with 100%

• bmetelsky likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

I simply need a little time to transfer more than 200 various programs to DVD and file from a DVR that I own.   I happen to agree that anyone who places any trust whatsoever in a mechanical hard drive as permanent storage will eventually be sorely disappointed.

Now I know that I will have to keep the box active, even at the lowest level of service, until I can get everything off.  I appreciate the info, folks.

Edited by mnassour, 21 June 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

while you own the box, you don't own the content.  Love the movies that are in your DVR, Hollywood wants you to buy the Blue Ray....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Agreed.  And I have edited message #7 after posting, apologies to anyone who might have seen the original and thought I was a bit of an a**.  Never post when annoyed!  :blush:  And I especially appreciate the tip in the other thread that I did not earlier see about the Elgato box.

Edited by mnassour, 21 June 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,748 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

I haven't seen any provision in user agreement with sat provider where it stated I'm limited of watching my recordings (taken during payable period, eg subscription) while the DVR/drive/sub is OK; adding to that fair use doctrine and you are golden with the DVDs :)

Edited by P Smith, 21 June 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Well, if I do really come to a parting of the ways, as it looks like I may, the answer seems to be simply suspend the account for six months.  With the boxes unplugged but still authorized, I should be able to boot them at the new residence, pull what I need off, then send the leased box back by terminating the suspension and closing the account at that time.  If I have to, I can always reconnect at the lowest level of service.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,748 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

good idea, most cost saving way ...

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Why people chastize/question those of us who do is beyond me...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Well, it's actually a point that needs to be made.  As with any computer data whatsoever, using a mechanical hard drive for long-term storage...especially if it's sitting on a shelf...is really a bad idea.  Now I'll argue all day and night whether the concept of using a DVR to dump programming after you're no longer paying DirecTV for the service is proper or not, but the basic concept of hard drives for permanent storage...no, just not a good idea.

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

Well, it's actually a point that needs to be made.  As with any computer data whatsoever, using a mechanical hard drive for long-term storage...especially if it's sitting on a shelf...is really a bad idea.  Now I'll argue all day and night whether the concept of using a DVR to dump programming after you're no longer paying DirecTV for the service is proper or not, but the basic concept of hard drives for permanent storage...no, just not a good idea.

Sure, but that's not what the naysayers are getting at.  There are people here that take any shot they can at those of us who keep recordings, record a whole season before watching it (technically keeping recordings), etc.  

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

Then let'em shoot!  After the thousands of dollars I've paid DirecTV since 2002 I will be doing what I wish with my recordings.

• RunnerFL likes this

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,748 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

they don't know squat about fair use rule.... poor soul ;)

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Yes and no..  Mostly what you said, but also, understand you pay a monthly fee for dvr use.  If you are not paying the monthly fee for dvr use, then why would you expect it to be enabled and to work still?  If that makes sense...  The hardware you may or may not own, but the dvr service, well you never own that, as its a monthly fee.

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

Why people chastize/question those of us who do is beyond me...

I mostly meant what he responded to in this case..  It sounded like he had recorded things he wanted to keep forever...

Your raid system is about the only thing close to being able to do that with a dvr.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Well, if I do really come to a parting of the ways, as it looks like I may, the answer seems to be simply suspend the account for six months.  With the boxes unplugged but still authorized, I should be able to boot them at the new residence, pull what I need off, then send the leased box back by terminating the suspension and closing the account at that time.  If I have to, I can always reconnect at the lowest level of service.

That could be tricky.  Make sure you disconnect it form internet, phone, and sat feeds before suspending service, because as far as they are concerned, it should be shut off and not used even if your account is suspended since you wont be paying the monthly dvr fee.  So they send the signal to deactivate the boxes, and if it hits your boxes, your stuck.  The real key is if you have them disconnected from power for to long that they then want to get an authorization signal before working again as well.  No one knows how long it takes for that happen, it seems random really.

spam firewall