Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

cable/DSL router recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:24 AM

So my old router (bought last century..) is now the bottleneck in my network (no more cable modem!!!). Anyone have particular recommendations on brands (both good and ones to avoid)? Web based administration and firmware upgrades are necessary - Mac user here. (Ie. no PC-only setup programs.)

Thanks..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:14 AM

Some of the routers that I have come across require either a telnet connection and/or a web browser to configure, so it's platform independent. On a few occassions, I have actually fixed a router configuration remotely by telnetting into the router from my desktop.

I would go with either Linksys or Netgear. However, since I plan on getting a ADSL line in the near future, I will need one that will do PPPoA authentication. Most of the routers do PPPoE. Many of the companys now have the instructions online as a PDF file, which is now a purchasing requirement of mine before I purchase equipment.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:23 PM

In front of me I have a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router, and a Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless Access Point blinking at me. I've had good luck with Linksys.

#4 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:12 PM

The Belkin 54g wireless/wired cable/DSL gateway router is the best. it almost sets up itself in terms of software, which took me all of 3 minutes to set up at my location with 2 computers on it. It provides all the speed you will ever need for even streaming video. included is all software/firmware (including network firewall) which is fully upgradeable and makes a highly and fast secure network. you can control almost every software aspect of the router from a control panel, which can include automatic firmware updates. this unit is the easiest to set up and use on the market, I guarantee it. It also has absolutely FREE 24/7 toll free tech support which is very helpful and they actually know how to solve the problem. I fully recommend this router, as I have set up and used a netgear+Linksys wireless G and B router! best one I have ever had and it is future proof (for a wile) ! All software for the Belkin is mac compatible, at least my new 54g Belkin's is. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...