Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement Hopper Woes...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Has something happened to Dish's Tech Support??? I have a replacement Hopper I've activated and it has VERY old (S057) software so my OTA tuner doesn't work, it won't link to my other Hopper and it doesn't properly restore from the remote. I've tried the phone and chat and they just keep putting me through the same stupid steps over and over. I've been a customer for over 14 years, have been through multiple receiver and DVR models an this is by far the worst experience I've ever had with them. If someone from DIRT or otherwise can help me navigate this I'd appreciate it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

Don't they automatically update over night if they are on old software?

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

you are mis-assessed the version

all FW version starting from 0 like x0xx, are FACTORY FW

it has one purpose: check functionality, help set a dish/switch and download CURRENT FW

so, turn it off by remote and wait (be sure you have good signal level of DNLD tpn)

Edited by P Smith, 21 June 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,884 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, you're generally supposed to connect a replacement receiver and run a check-switch and then allow the receiver to download the latest firmware before you actually try to use it.  It doesn't sound like you did that properly.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, you're generally supposed to connect a replacement receiver and run a check-switch and then allow the receiver to download the latest firmware before you actually try to use it.  It doesn't sound like you did that properly.

Guys, it's been over 48 hours. I've done the check switch. left it off all day two days in a row, etc. and it will not update the software. I've done the replacement receiver enough times (this is the 3rd Hopper I've had to have replaced and many other 622s, etc.) to know the process by heart - I am definitely not new to this. Apparently Tech Support can't send any kind of "hit" or initialization to force the firmware update so I'm currently stuck with a Hopper lacking a lot of functionality.

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Guys, it's been over 48 hours. I've done the check switch. left it off all day two days in a row, etc. and it will not update the software.

Did the check switch show that you have all satellites with decent signal?  If so, I would presume that you have a seriously flawed Hopper.

Hopefully the DIRT team can help. 

I think I would try a chat with Dish tech to create a paper trail of the problem and maybe come to a better conclusion.

If you lived near me, I would invite you to bring it over to my house to plug into my system to see if it help to get the proper firmware to download.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,884 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

If you did the check switch and it passed, then it should have wanted to take firmware immediately.  If it did not do that, then there is a problem you cannot fix.  I agree you might want to try sending a PM to one of our DIRT reps, because you might have a problem with this replacement Hopper.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...