Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo not writing to SD card

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

My wife just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I tried setting it up with Genie Go and had a lot of issues. After several reboots, reloads, and red-button resets I finally got it to work but now I'm having an issue getting it to save shows to to the SD card. I'm able to point the app to the card with no problem but when I try downloading a program it just stays stuck on " waiting to download" . I'm able to to download just fine to local storage and was able to use the SD card with no issues in her previous phone, a Samsung Note 2.

Has anyone else had issues with using GenieGo in this device or saving programs to their SD cards? My wife uses her GenieGo a LOT so if we can't get this to work she'll probably exchange it for a different phone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

IIRC, this has to do with the newer OS running on the S5.  DirecTV will have to update the app to be compatible 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

The app shouldn't install on an unsupported OS. They must be doing an "or higher" test of the OS version - a dangerous thing to do on Android.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

I've seen some other reports of folks on Kit Kat with the same SD card issue.   And whenI updated a S4 to Kit Kat, it destroyed my own card, not related to GenieGO.

On Android forums there are other comments about SD card issues with KK.

In other words, KK has some unique changes to the file structure and GenieGO will need an update.

#5 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

This is a Google issue. I found it out the hard way and would not have updated if I had known. I don't see Google changing it as they have locked down the sd card where apps cannot write to it unless they rewrite their code. It was done for security reasons, but it would have been nice if they told people about it.

DTV has been slow to update the app, so who knows when/if it gets fixed. You can change the permissions to allow writing, but you need to be rooted and then you have to deal with the app not running on rooted.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Unless they have changed it, the DirecTV app "detects" that the phone is rooted by looking for the superuser executable.  If you remove the executable the app runs without an issue on a rooted phone.  I haven't bothered to root my current phone (an HTC Droid DNA) but did root my last one and this worked fine.  It is easy enough to restore superuser when you're done.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#7 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was able to track this down on a different forum and it appears to be working successfully!!

1. Start up GenieGO on the Android
2. Go to Settings (Gear icon in upper right)
3. Select Storage location
4. Custom Storage location.
5. Press 'up one level' until the path shown on the top of the screen (under the 'Home' button) just says /storage.
6. Choose extSdCard
7. (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT): You should then navigate to Android/data/com.directv.application.android.go.production
8 And finally choose the directory 'files'
9. Press OK
10. It should return you to the 'Custom storage location' and show the free space you have on your SD Card.

Now, when you download any shows, they should download to the SD card.
IT IS IMPORTANT that you choose that directory, and not any other. It will allow you to select any directory, but only that one works.

• mrdobolina and prushing like this

#8 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for that tip. It looks like it is working for me as it created the folders and DB that it uses. Just won't be able to confirm until I get back home later in the week.

Even though I don't use my phone much, it was a pain to always have to use my tablet.

#9 OFFLINE   lmurphy

lmurphy

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

anex80, thanks that worked like a charm!!!!! I was having the exact same problem with my Samsung tablet Note 8 and my Samsung Galaxy S5 they both work excellent now. THANKS again.

#10 OFFLINE   Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

THANK YOU!  I just received a 32Gb SD Card as a gift and was loading it up with shows for a trip.  I couldn't figure out why everything was stuck on "Waiting to Download."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...