Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Way to Archive DirecTV DVR List?

DirecTV Archive DVR HD List

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

Technical Specifications
  • Interface: USB 2.0
  • Input: PlayStation 4, Xbox One & Xbox 360 (unencrypted HDMI), PlayStation 3 (A/V In)
  • Output: HDMI (pass-through)
  • Supported resolutions: 1080p (simultaneous 60 fps pass-through and 30 fps capture), 1080i, 720p (60 or 30 fps capture), 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i, 288p, 240p
  • Dimensions: 73 x 24 x 109 mm / 2.9 x 1.0 x 4.3 in
  • Weight: 142 g / 5 oz

https://www.elgato.c...e-datasheet.pdf

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

I don't own the elagato so I, unlike you, can't assume how it does or does not work.  I do however own the Hauppauge and I can speak for how it works.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

So you are saying the Hauppauge is illegally stripping HDCP from it recordings?  perhaps someone else needs to know, like MPAA...interesting .....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#24 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

Isn't the HDCP already gone when you use Component cables ?

Can I record high definition TV from a Cable TV or Satellite box?

Yes.

By connecting the Component video output from your high definition cable TV or satellite TV set top box to the component video inputs of the HD PVR, you will be able to record the TV programs coming from your set top box to the hard disk. Component video connections are normally the Red/Green/Blue connectors on the back of a set top box. Sometimes they are also called YPrPb or YCrCb connectors.

Link: http://www.hauppauge...pvr.html#tabs-5

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Isn't the HDCP already gone when you use Component cables ?

Exactly!  but runnerfl is claiming that you can record using HDMI, which would be "illegal" mostly in premium channels. and the device should fail the HDMI handshake as a recoding device.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   mozartman

mozartman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Exactly!  but runnerfl is claiming that you can record using HDMI, which would be "illegal" mostly in premium channels. and the device should fail the HDMI handshake as a recoding device.

It is not "illegal" to record from DVR. It is Holywood that does not want YOU to record video. I have Colossus and I can record via HDMI input from channels that don't use HDCP, like Sony, MGM, HDNet Movies. To record from premium channels like HBO and Max I use component.

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

It is not "illegal" to record from DVR. It is Holywood that does not want YOU to record video. I have Colossus and I can record via HDMI input from channels that don't use HDCP, like Sony, MGM, HDNet Movies. To record from premium channels like HBO and Max I use component.

Exactly my point.  his video card is somehow stripping HDCP from premium channels, which is "illegal" see the DMCA

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

Exactly my point.  his video card is somehow stripping HDCP from premium channels, which is "illegal" see the DMCA

lol, you're still harping on about this?  Tell you what, you buy one then you'll have the right to comment on how it does or does not work.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   mozartman

mozartman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

Looks like you have limited knowledge of video capturing. Here is little secret - component video connection doesn't support HDCP, thus Collosus card doesn't strip HDCP and doesn't break the law.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Looks like you have limited knowledge of video capturing. Here is little secret - component video connection doesn't support HDCP, thus Collosus card doesn't strip HDCP and doesn't break the law.

and it looks like you came late to the conversation.  because component vide does not have HDCP, that is the reason I recommended ElGato solution.  but someone came in saying that there was a better solution using HDMI... and this is where everything felt apart.  

So before you judge, re-read the entire thread.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   kyleworthey

kyleworthey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

I've used the EyeTV but I actually prefer the Hauppauge HD PVR that I have.  It has HDMI input so you can even do 1080p, the EyeTV is only component.

http://www.amazon.co...s=video capture

Alright cool, thanks for the suggestion. Can you give me a quick explanation of you used this? I read over the product description, but I would like to hear from someone that used it.

#32 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

(if this exceeds the topic, no problem)

Is the Hauppaugge or the ElGato getting close to what I need to (FINALLY!!!) be able to save my 3 inch DVD-R recordings in AVCHD to 5 inch DVD-R in AVCHD, which is compatible HD play back (1080X1440) on Sony Blu-ray players??

I haven't finalized anymore 3 inch DVD-R since the one that didn't work and now won't even playback on the camcorder.  Unfinalized 3 inch DVD-R will only playback on the camcorder, and I can't send copies of my movies to family and friends.  I have HD video of family member that has passed away, footage of my trucking and business operation and some vacation footage.  

I have made SD dups, but I sure want to make AVCHD copies in HD !!

#33 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

(if this exceeds the topic, no problem)

Is the Hauppaugge or the ElGato getting close to what I need to (FINALLY!!!) be able to save my 3 inch DVD-R recordings in AVCHD to 5 inch DVD-R in AVCHD, which is compatible HD play back (1080X1440) on Sony Blu-ray players??

I haven't finalized anymore 3 inch DVD-R since the one that didn't work and now won't even playback on the camcorder.  Unfinalized 3 inch DVD-R will only playback on the camcorder, and I can't send copies of my movies to family and friends.  I have HD video of family member that has passed away, footage of my trucking and business operation and some vacation footage.  

I have made SD dups, but I sure want to make AVCHD copies in HD !!

I think the latest Hauppauge (1515) can save SD video into HD format, but I'm not sure, yet.  I know it can record through component or HDMI but haven't figured out SD connections.

Maybe someone could suggest an "appropriate" forum for this topic.  I've got many questions and comments about these devices.

#34 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

"Saving SD into HD format" effectively buys you nothing; the effective resolution is still SD, and you can display SD in "HD format" on any HDTV.

Both Elgato and Hauppage use MPEG4. Not sure which level and profile, but probably the same ones, and very similar to commercial Blu-Ray or DBS. They probably even use the same hardware encoder chip. Elgato uses a proprietary wrapper with a ".eyetv" suffix. The version that they encode for iPad is really quite acceptable. If you use a higher quality than that it can take up to 4 hours to re-encode an hour program to the iPad version, say for a typical i5 computer. I find the Elgato interface a bit more intuitive than the HDPVR, and they have a clever editor that allows editing out commercials pretty easily, with a compacting feature that reclaims the HDD space.

You can, however, encode in full 1080p or 1080i, which is equivalent to the best resolution there is shy of 4K, and is higher than "almost HD" AVCHD, which is a format that is less compatible with what target relatives might have. But to play them direct from a computer, it had better be pretty beefy. If you are going to distribute you should consider just using the iPad quality, which is typically 720p30. The file size is also a bit more manageable. If you send a DropBox invite it is better to post a file at 1.6 GB per hour than 4.1 GB per hour; your relatives will curse you for sending them such huge files and then find them difficult to play without a fast/modern computer.

The HDPVR has a great feature where you can record HD to an SD DVDR blank, and then play that back in full HD on a Blu-Ray, which might be a good way to distribute to friends and relatives who have Blu-Ray. The "SD blank" does not imply SD format; it is still true HD. You basically need a Mac for Elgato, or a PC for HDPVR. I think there are ways to use them cross-format, but in a limited capacity. So if you are torn between the two, just get whatever format is designed for your computer.

Edited by TomCat, 04 July 2014 - 12:41 AM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#35 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

I think the latest Hauppauge (1515) can save SD video into HD format, but I'm not sure, yet.  I know it can record through component or HDMI but haven't figured out SD connections.

Maybe someone could suggest an "appropriate" forum for this topic.  I've got many questions and comments about these devices.

I hadn't yet read (or had already misread) the info about SD.  No, it doesn't save SD into HD, but I believe can be set to downres HD.  I've got a bit to learn...

#36 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have the Hauppauge HDPVR2 "Gaming Edition Plus".
It works on PC and Mac, though with quite different software packages.
On both platforms it saves as "MPEG2 Transport Stream" (".mts" on PC, or ".m2ts" on Mac), and preserves multi-channel Dolby Digital.
I have limited use in the PC side, but the Mac side has an option to automatically transcode the capture out to .mp4, if desired.

It does not "strip HDCP", but works fine on the channels/recordings that do not have that. I've not tried the component cables, as everything I've wanted to save worked over HDMI.
As the original poster stated that they mostly wanted to save some recorded sports, I think this would work fine as most (all?) sports channels are free of HDCP.
1080 and 720 captures do make quite large files, though you can adjust the kbps of the capture rate. I have it on their "better" setting (VBR 7k, with a peak 9k), and it uses around 100MB per minute. I haven't tried it, but if you don't care about editing, I believe the MPEG2 Transport Stream capture can then be burned to a watchable Blu-Ray. Also, as TomCat suggested, you can save an MPEG4 file onto a standard DVD and play it in HD on a Blu-Ray player.
I usually allow the software to export it to .mp4, then import that into iMovie to edit and export to iTunes so it can be watched on my AppleTV. I've tried importing the .m2ts files into iMovie, but it takes a lot longer and the editing often chokes my Mac Mini.

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994

#37 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

The Hauppauge HD PVRs record h.264 format. I have the 1212 and PVR2. You can choose the ts, m2ts or mp4 wrapper when using their free capture app on a PC.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV, Archive, DVR, HD, List

Protected By... spam firewall...And...