Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Simple (?) VOD question

VOD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomlin

tomlin

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hey,

I'm trying to get a straight answer about DirecTV's VOD.

I have Verizon Wireless (Home Fusion) with 4G speed, but CAPPED at 20GB/mo. ANYTHING over that, even 1 byte, in my billing cycle is billed at $10/GB. So, I need to know how VOD works.

I ordered a PPV movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit) last night. It was on channel 136 (or in that range). There were options to "Buy Now" or "Record". The movie was shown as starting at 8pm. It was currently 7:42pm. I chose "Record", figuring I'd start watching around 8:15 or so. A window popped up saying it was ready to watch immediately. I clicked OK and it appeared in my queue FULLY downloaded (1:46) on channel 1100.

The fact that it was available immediately, in its entirety, leads me to believe that the SATELLITE pushed it to my DVR. However, I need to know whether VOD is coming to me via the Internet (using up my monthly LIMITED bandwidth) or via satellite.

I live in a rural area and this is my only viable Internet option. I tried WildBlue a few years back and it was a disaster. Plus, their speeds are far inferior to Verizon and their caps are ridiculously small.

Also, how big is an HD movie? 1GB, 2GB? I know they're compressed, but have no idea the actual size. Any estimates?

TIA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,777 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

Some movies are pushed to the DVR via the satellite and are ready to be watched once payment is complete. If you go to the Movies tab under the Search and Browse Menu, all the movies with a green play button are ready to be watch at the push of a button

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

From what I have read on here a HD movie that is 1-1/2 hours long is about 5 GB.

You will run over your cap in a hurry.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

I would suggest you don't stream any movies let alone HD movies with only 10 GB cap.
Even netflix worst PQ is using anywhere from 1-1.5 GB every 2 movies, or 3 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

Hey,

I'm trying to get a straight answer about DirecTV's VOD.

I have Verizon Wireless (Home Fusion) with 4G speed, but CAPPED at 20GB/mo. ANYTHING over that, even 1 byte, in my billing cycle is billed at $10/GB. So, I need to know how VOD works.

I ordered a PPV movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit) last night. It was on channel 136 (or in that range). There were options to "Buy Now" or "Record". The movie was shown as starting at 8pm. It was currently 7:42pm. I chose "Record", figuring I'd start watching around 8:15 or so. A window popped up saying it was ready to watch immediately. I clicked OK and it appeared in my queue FULLY downloaded (1:46) on channel 1100.

The fact that it was available immediately, in its entirety, leads me to believe that the SATELLITE pushed it to my DVR. However, I need to know whether VOD is coming to me via the Internet (using up my monthly LIMITED bandwidth) or via satellite.

I live in a rural area and this is my only viable Internet option. I tried WildBlue a few years back and it was a disaster. Plus, their speeds are far inferior to Verizon and their caps are ridiculously small.

Also, how big is an HD movie? 1GB, 2GB? I know they're compressed, but have no idea the actual size. Any estimates?

TIA.

I would connect the dvrs to the phone lines, then I'd disconnect them from the internet so you never have to worry about it.  Here's the thing, Directv is making it as easy as possible for people, and also as seamless as possible so things just work, but that creates a big problem for people like you with major cap limits.  Also they are starting to load posters and other things from the internet connection rather than via the sat feed if the internet connection is available since it can do it faster. Then new look back feature is also all via the internet... I just wouldn't chance it myself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VOD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...