Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does every deal require autopay and paperless?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

I will be making an across-the-country move in the next few months so I have been looking at the details the various upgrades and dishmover.    I am OK  with the 24 month commitment and the credit check, but I will not agree to paperless billing or autopay.   Is every deal tied to these requirements?  

I'm not really even worried about saving the money with these deals -- I just want to get my satellite service installed with a minimum of hassle.   If i can get the hoppers to replace my SD receivers, that would reduce hassle even more (wife's nagging).

if you are wondering, I work in the paper industry, so I want a paper bill.    I have read too many horror stories about autopay for me to trust that service.  From what I can tell, they have no financial motivation to insure that customer billing data is kept secure and that billing is performed accurately.   If they agree to pay for screw-ups (like I would do if I screw up paying my bill), I might consider it. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

I will be making an across-the-country move in the next few months so I have been looking at the details the various upgrades and dishmover.    I am OK  with the 24 month commitment and the credit check, but I will not agree to paperless billing or autopay.   Is every deal tied to these requirements?  

I'm not really even worried about saving the money with these deals -- I just want to get my satellite service installed with a minimum of hassle.   If i can get the hoppers to replace my SD receivers, that would reduce hassle even more (wife's nagging).

if you are wondering, I work in the paper industry, so I want a paper bill.    I have read too many horror stories about autopay for me to trust that service.  From what I can tell, they have no financial motivation to insure that customer billing data is kept secure and that billing is performed accurately.   If they agree to pay for screw-ups (like I would do if I screw up paying my bill), I might consider it. 

Sounds like you are an existing customer who wants to upgrade.  Contact a DIRT member or a CSR for the deals DISH will offer you.

#3 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

What's wrong with paperless billing?   It's practically the same as receiving a paper bill, other than getting it on your email address than at your postal mail delivery,  And you wouldn't have to wait to receive it, or some delay happened with mail delivery

I understand not wanting autopay if you're on top of your bills,  But you won't have to worry about paying on time if you pay with CC or DC, if paying cash then stay with what you have now.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#4 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

What's wrong with paperless billing?   It's practically the same as receiving a paper bill, other than getting it on your email address than at your postal mail delivery,  And you wouldn't have to wait to receive it, or some delay happened with mail delivery

I understand not wanting autopay if you're on top of your bills,  But you won't have to worry about paying on time if you pay with CC or DC, if paying cash then stay with what you have now.

He works for the paper industry that's what's wrong with paperless billing. I'd expect people who work for the Post Office to also want a paper bill delivered to their home.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#5 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

What's wrong with paperless billing? It's practically the same as receiving a paper bill, other than getting it on your email address than at your postal mail delivery, And you wouldn't have to wait to receive it, or some delay happened with mail delivery
I understand not wanting autopay if you're on top of your bills, But you won't have to worry about paying on time if you pay with CC or DC, if paying cash then stay with what you have now.

Emails are easy to just delete or delete by mistake. Receiving a paper bill is a better reminder. Auto pay is another thing. If the money in not in the bank on time then there is a overdraft charge.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#6 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

I will be making an across-the-country move in the next few months so I have been looking at the details the various upgrades and dishmover. I am OK with the 24 month commitment and the credit check, but I will not agree to paperless billing or autopay. Is every deal tied to these requirements?

I'm not really even worried about saving the money with these deals -- I just want to get my satellite service installed with a minimum of hassle. If i can get the hoppers to replace my SD receivers, that would reduce hassle even more (wife's nagging).

if you are wondering, I work in the paper industry, so I want a paper bill. I have read too many horror stories about autopay for me to trust that service. From what I can tell, they have no financial motivation to insure that customer billing data is kept secure and that billing is performed accurately. If they agree to pay for screw-ups (like I would do if I screw up paying my bill), I might consider it.

I am the same way paper bills always are more reliable as reminders. I do not like auto pay either.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Paperless billing also makes it more difficult to pay via check or money order, if that is how you choose to pay.

For that matter... even if you go with paperless billing, if you become late most companies will mail you a paper bill... which says they too recognize it as a better way to contact you.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Has anyone heard of Dish allowing this?    It seems strange that they would cut a guy's bill from $150 to $90 a month to keep him as a customer and be inflexible on a much cheaper option. 

I guess i have to scream and cry and threaten to switch to cable.   ...sigh....

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

For what it's worth...  I have moved twice in the last four years... both times used DishMover and it was free... and I am not on AutoPay or paperless billing.  I don't remember if I had to extend to another 24-month commitment or not, but I don't remember having to do so.

#10 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

Just print it off your computer no problem, assuming OP have a printer, You guys make it seem harder than it is,  

But then what do I know  :nono2: 

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

Just print it off your computer no problem, assuming OP have a printer, You guys make it seem harder than it is,  

But then what do I know  :nono2: 

But why should he have to print it when he can just have them mail it to them?  It shouldn't have to be more difficult than that either... let them mail the bill.  Also, when they mail the bill they also mail an envelope as well.  All he has to supply is the payment and postage.

#12 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

I guess I'm just lazy for the run around for getting money orders then postage stamps, Then waiting 2-3 days for the actual payment to be processed, especially when I have other bills due around the same date,  Not to mention long lines where they provide money orders unless you write a check.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#13 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

As far as the paperless billing and autopay question I think the only thing that gets you these days is free HD for 24 mos, so it shouldn't be required for anything else that I know of.

Edited by tsmacro, 24 June 2014 - 08:03 AM.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

I have all my recurring bills automatically charged to a credit card.  That way, if there's a mistake, I can dispute it.  I only have to do ONE payment to cover multiple bills.  On top of that I get 10,000 miles per year doing it.

#15 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thank you Stewart and tsmacro

#16 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

I have all my recurring bills automatically charged to a credit card. That way, if there's a mistake, I can dispute it. I only have to do ONE payment to cover multiple bills. On top of that I get 10,000 miles per year doing it.

Who awards 10,000 miles a year? What are these miles used for?

#17 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

Sounds like a airline credit card but i could be wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#18 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

From DISH network? Hmmmmmm

#19 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

I have been paperless and auto pay with my credit card since way back.

I log into my Dish account each month and save the pdf of each bill to a specific folder on my hard drive, I do a weekly backup of my hard drive and I have never had a problem with auto pay.

I don't ever recall receiving my bill via email.

My Capital one card reminds me 7 days before my bill is due each month but don't have to worry about it because of auto pay.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#20 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

By auto-paying my Dish bill to my JetBlue American Express card, I get about 1800 miles/year.  I put my cell phone and many other regular, repeating bills on that card (Vonage, home insurance, etc) - heck I'd put my mortgage on it if I could get away with it (and that would be another 18,000 miles/year).  Makes for one easy web-based payment.  I've had the card for a couple of years and already I've gotten a free Boston-Long Beach round trip for my wife and I and I have enough miles now for another one (or one round trip to Hawaii but my wife wouldn't like me leaving without her!).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...