Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Was Going to Leave Dish....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

My Dish bill was 146.99 a month and I thought about jumping to cable. Called Dish to see what they could do and they basically told me nothing. Called the cable company and they offered every channel they have for 89.99 a month for the first year, plus 60mg high speed internet for 30.00 bucks more and free phone service that I really don’t want. Cable would also give me 4 DVR’s, but I only own a TIVO. Yes, this was a one year tease, but using my Tivo, saves me $20.00 a month in DVR fees.

So I took the deal… Scheduled the install for July 8th.

Called Dish back and asked for them to send to me boxes to send my stuff back… I did not call asking for a discount. Just for my boxes.

DISH dropped my bill $60.00 a month and gave me my premiums free for 90 days. From $146.99 to $78.30 a month for 12 months. I would get more channels (free HBO) moving to cable, but not changing out all my equipment help ease the lose.

I almost did not take the DISH deal as they did not believe the price was getting and was questioning ME about my quote from the cable company. I told them "I could care less if you believe me, just send the boxes."  Took the discount...

Guess I’ll back doing the same thing again next year when this deal runs out.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

It's good if you're happy... just don't expect it again.  Dish does keep track of these loyalty offers and you can bet they will not keep doing it if you abuse it by asking every year.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

Yes but, to me he is legitimately leaving the company for another provider for a better price, and its dishes decision to compete or not. Some people who do that with no intention of following through deserve to get called on it, but to me he's simply saying I'm leaving, and they said wait why, well match it. Quite different in my book because of intent and what he was planning on doing.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

There's nothing wrong with what he did... I'm just saying that Dish does track these things, and he will not be able to do it again a year from now I suspect.  It's always ok in my book to ask for a discount... also ok to leave... and ok to change your mind if you get a better offer.  I just caution against the expectation of such an offer in the future and against getting mad if you don't get one next time.

#5 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

I have to wonder why dish offers different discounts to subs.

tommiet didn't say how long he was a customer.

I know a few in very good standing [ off contract] that were offered a lot less.

Is it the CSR roulette wheel?

chris

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

It could be any number of things.  We are taking him at his word of course that he got such a deal.  Sometimes people know someone and get a special deal but are asked not to talk about it for just this kind of reason... maybe it was a unique special deal that they don't want everyone to try and get... but the cat out of the bag might lead to more people asking/expecting such a deal.

It usually factors in credit history, history with Dish, how much you subscribe to per month, how often you have asked for/gotten deals, how long since the last deal, and so forth... after that, different tiers of customer support probably have different amounts as their "max" to authorize.  No surprise that a loyalty dept might offer a better deal than a frontline CSR... especially once you are calling to cancel if they think you really aren't trying to threaten them but are genuinely needing to cut back or be forced to leave, they might have some additional flexibility for some customers and not others.

#7 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Just a response.....

9 year customer with a monthly bill of at least $140.00. I was a prior customer with Dish for about 5 years and when I wanted to get a DVR. Called Dish and they wanted $350.00. I called DirecTV and got one for free. Dish said bye. Then 3 days later, Dish called and wanted me back while the Direct guy was installing the equipment. This was when DirecTv had a Tivo DVR. Did the same a few years later with Dish. They provided a free upgrade. Am I using the system? SURE! No different than shopping for the best price for cell phone service. 

I did NOT ask Dish to believe the price quoted from my local cable company and I did NOT call Dish asking for anything, but boxes. I called and asked (repeatedly, but nicely) for my boxes and commented that it was a nice run with Dish, but its got too expensive and time to move on.

NEVER demand a discount and be prepared to leave when you call DISH if you're after a discount.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

That's exactly the right attitude.  A lot of people could learn from that perspective.  Sometimes you get a deal... sometimes you don't... but as long as you approach with that mindset, you will come out ok in the end.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...