Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lost the rcvrs on my iPad

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Ok, had the app working fine - could control all seven rcvrs from my iPad, as well as download from my Nomad.

TWC is going to push us up to 300MBPS, but you need a DOCSIS 6.0 compliant Cable Modem. Decided it was time to toss the leased CM, so I bought the Netgear C3700-100NAS. It includes WiFi, and Cnet loved it. Two Ethernet ports out.

At the same time, my Swim died, and DTV comes out to fix it (after I installed the new CM). When the system comes back up, the iPad says "out of home" and can't see the Nomad. Make sure the receivers are connected to the net - even put the IP addresses in the box on the iPad - "invalid receiver".

So here's where I think the problem is: all wireless is coming out of the cable modem router. One of the two CM ports goes to the Ooma box - the other to a Linksys small office router. The four ports on this router go to a eight port powered switch (for the Cat 6 in every bedroom), to the family room equipment cabinet (powered switch there for the AV rcvr, Roku, Apple TV, and a DVR), and to the DTV internet pickup (#4 was the wireless network access point now made redundant).

So I am thinking the Linksys router is the problem - it could be assigning IP addresses downstream of the WiFi cable modem router, and therefore the iPad can't "see" the DTV devices. If I am right, then is the solution to replace the Linksys router with a gigabit powered switch? Should that fix the problem? And if it isn't, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

Turn off DHCP on the Linksys, don't use the WAN port and assign it an IP.  Gateway should be your upstream router.  Or replace it with a switch.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:26 AM

Turn of UPnP as well.

Turn off DHCP on the Linksys, don't use the WAN port and assign it an IP. 

And turn off UPnP as well. Configuring it like this allows it to act like a switch.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

You need to lose the Linksys router. Having two routers will haunt you.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

You need to lose the Linksys router. Having two routers will haunt you.

It's actually pretty straightforward, if you can follow directions. E.g, here's what D-Link says:

If you are connecting the DIR-868L router to an existing router to use as a wireless access point and/or switch, you will have 
to do the following to the DIR-868L before connecting it to your network:

• Disable UPnP™

• Disable DHCP

• Change the LAN IP address to an available address on your network. The LAN ports on the router cannot accept 
a DHCP address from your other router.

I'd only add: "put a piece of tape over the WAN port, so you don't inadvertently plug into it."

/steve

#6 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Great advice. On the road, so will try them this weekend.

Thanks, all!

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

It's actually pretty straightforward, if you can follow directions. E.g, here's what D-Link says:

I'd only add: "put a piece of tape over the WAN port, so you don't inadvertently plug into it."

Or you could just unplug it and have one less failure point to worry about. If you're hanging onto a router because you can turn it into a switch or a WAP, you're only outsmarting yourself.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Or you could just unplug it and have one less failure point to worry about. If you're hanging onto a router because you can turn it into a switch or a WAP.

Switches and waps aren't more reliable pieces of electronics, so I can only assume proper configuration is daunting for you.
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

Switches and waps aren't more reliable pieces of electronics, so I can only assume proper configuration is daunting for you.

It isn't that it is daunting, it is that you have to go out of your way to disable something that may forget it is disabled. I have to redo a Wi-fi router at work every once in awhile when it stops being a WAP and reverts to setting up an independent network.

It is a lot like using a computer for a DVR; many steps to make sure the computer doesn't try to "enhance" the experience with a screen blanker or putting the hard drive to sleep.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

It isn't that it is daunting, it is that you have to go out of your way to disable something that may forget it is disabled. I have to redo a Wi-fi router at work every once in awhile when it stops being a WAP and reverts to setting up an independent network.

I've been deploying wireless routers as WAPs for myself, friends and family for years and never had one spontaneously revert to DHCP or UPnP "on". I found the important thing is to cover up that WAN port, so no one plugs into it inadvertently.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...