Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH Eliminates Wire Clutter with New Wireless Joey

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

DISH Eliminates Wire Clutter with New Wireless Joey

• Wireless Joey now available to DISH customers
  • Customers can move TVs anywhere in and around the home
  • First in pay-TV industry to use the latest 802.11ac wireless technology

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH's Wireless Joey™ system, available today, gives consumers the ability to watch TV virtually anywhere in and around the home without the need for wiring. The small client connects wirelessly to the Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR using a dedicated 802.11ac access point. DISH Network L.L.C. is a wholly owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH).

Wireless_Joey%2C_Access_Point_and_Hopper

Wireless Joey, Access Point and Hopper with Sling (Photo: Business Wire)

"Wireless Joey expands installation options where coaxial or Ethernet wiring is either difficult or undesirable, eliminating unsightly wire runs," said Vivek Khemka, DISH Senior Vice President of Product Management. "You're no longer forced to position your TV on the same wall or near a room's coax outlet. Whether you're in a new house, an older home or on a backyard patio enjoying a family cookout, Wireless Joey delivers television where you want it."

Wireless Joey provides an identical experience to a wired Joey, with full Hopper functionality including the PrimeTime Anytime® and AutoHop features, and the ability to view, record, pause, rewind and fast forward TV content.

First HD video implementation with 802.11ac wireless technology

The Wireless Joey system is the first in the pay-TV industry to apply blazing fast 802.11ac wireless technology, delivering stronger signal propagation and data transfer speeds up to three times faster than pay-TV competitors' wireless video offerings (802.11n and older).

"Signal degradation causes a poor video experience when using older wireless networking protocols," said Khemka. "We chose 802.11ac to create a fast, reliable wireless network that delivers HD video in homes of varying size and construction."

Installation includes a Wireless Joey client and a Wireless Joey 802.11ac access point. Connecting directly to the Hopper, the access point creates a dedicated Wi-Fi network that serves up to three Wireless Joey clients. By setting up a dedicated Wi-Fi network separate from a home's existing wireless network, DISH ensures its solution maintains Hopper's high video quality and even works in homes without Internet access.

Technical specifications

Wireless Joey is powered by a 900MHz 2000 DMIPS BCM7418 processor. Wireless performance for both Wireless Joey and Access Point is driven by a Broadcom BCM4360 802.11ac chip operating at the 5Ghz band. The system features 3x3 MIMO with beam forming internal antennas and auto frequency selection.

DISH customers can add Wireless Joeys to their Hopper system for $7 per month per device, plus a one-time $50 fee for the wireless access point, which can serve up to three Wireless Joey clients. For more information, visit www.dish.com or call 1-800-333-DISH.

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.097 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2014, with the highest-quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value. Subscribers enjoy a high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Source: DISH Network Corporation

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

I like most everything about this...  I don't like so much the $50 non-refundable fee for the wireless access point.  Even if you purchase it, and it is yours to keep, I assume it would be useless outside of a Dish configuration... so it seems a little off to make someone pay $50 to have this part of the equation.

#3 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

Nothing on the DISH site yet... or I missed it.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

I like most everything about this...  I don't like so much the $50 non-refundable fee for the wireless access point.  Even if you purchase it, and it is yours to keep, I assume it would be useless outside of a Dish configuration... so it seems a little off to make someone pay $50 to have this part of the equation.

that's perfectly match dish motto: we will get your money ether way ... by penny or by a dollar

#5 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Can I replace my existing wired Joey with one?

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

You should be able to replace any wired Joey with one.  The press release didn't say, but I assume this works with the original Hopper or the newer Hopper w/ Sling.

You can have up to 3 wireless Joeys, so I assume you could replace up to 3 wired Joeys in your configuration.

Another not-mentioned thing... is whether or not you could get another access point and support another 3 wireless Joeys.  I'm thinking for people with 2 Hoppers who may already have more than 3 wired Joeys in their configuration.

#7 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

My wireless ISP service is in the 5Ghz band.  I would want to know the actual frequencies the Dish AP uses before I shelled out the fifty bucks.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

My wireless ISP service is in the 5Ghz band.  I would want to know the actual frequencies the Dish AP uses before I shelled out the fifty bucks.

they must use standard WIFi freqs,

actually if you'll read the news you will find it (keyword is "ac" as a new WiFi standard)

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

So, what if someone already has a wireless access point? It makes no technical sense to install another one. Yes, "ac" is faster, but is also is still not fully adopted; sort of in the state wireless "N" was when it was first introduced. Currently, my Hopper is running fine, over wireless, to my Apple Extreme Generation 5 Router (does both 2.5 and 5.0 ghz)

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

So, what if someone already has a wireless access point? It makes no technical sense to install another one. Yes, "ac" is faster, but is also is still not fully adopted; sort of in the state wireless "N" was when it was first introduced. Currently, my Hopper is running fine, over wireless, to my Apple Extreme Generation 5 Router (does both 2.5 and 5.0 ghz)

The "sense" it makes in this case is...  This wireless access point will only be used by the Hopper and Joeys to communicate with each other...  they would use your access point/network for any Internet access and downloads but would not use your router anymore to route the video signals from the Hopper to the wireless Joey.

It's a smart idea because it keeps that traffic away from your router and to a piece of hardware that Dish will support if you have any problems with Joeys linking to the Hopper.

It's all about the video streams to the Joey and nothing to do with your Hopper's internet connection.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

The "sense" it makes in this case is...  This wireless access point will only be used by the Hopper and Joeys to communicate with each other...  they would use your access point/network for any Internet access and downloads but would not use your router anymore to route the video signals from the Hopper to the wireless Joey.

It's a smart idea because it keeps that traffic away from your router and to a piece of hardware that Dish will support if you have any problems with Joeys linking to the Hopper.

It's all about the video streams to the Joey and nothing to do with your Hopper's internet connection.

if they bpth use same RF channel, then the idea is not working

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

if they bpth use same RF channel, then the idea is not working

One thing doesn't necessarily have to do with the other.

Each access point handles its own traffic.

Now, IF you are referring to potential interference between the two access points due to using the same (or overlapping) channel...  then you may have a point, but this is something likely already happening with their neighbors WiFi and possibly with their cordless telephones depending on their home phone service.

You bolded from my post "it keeps that traffic away from your router"... as if I had said something wrong.  RF channel interference is a completely different topic than one router handling another router's traffic.  Just because I'm on the same channel doesn't make my router suddenly start handling the data... it might interfere with it processing its own traffic but it wouldn't be handling the extra data.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

the devil is in details

you are right about traffic as meaning packets going thru other router; but slowdown as a congestion of whole process of sending/receiving data suggested by interfering at media level, eg RF channel occupation

#14 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Wonder how $50 compares to the cost of having wire lines run to three rooms?  Sounds good to me.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Wonder how $50 compares to the cost of having wire lines run to three rooms?  Sounds good to me.

Depends on the configuration...  whatever your "deal" is typically includes "normal"wiring...  so unless you have a particularly difficult home to wire...  if you order a Hopper and 3 Joeys, whatever your installation price (be it free or for some fixed cost) should include the cost of wiring those Joeys.

If this $50 for the access point is an additional fee on top of that... then it might cost you more to get Wireless Joeys than it would to get regular Joeys installed.

Now... if you buy your own equipment instead of leasing... its a whole different ball of wax since you have to buy stuff that normally is included with an install... so then you might have a point that buying the access point is more attractive than buying a bunch of coax and running it yourself.

#16 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

wireless is much better if there are no cut outs & drops

I already have cables run to each tv for my antenna & would love to have hd at these............they are now connected via 722 home distribution

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#17 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Regardless if one uses their Wireless Access Point, or the one provided by DISH, eventually they both go to one's router. DISH is not providing a Wireless Access Point/Router, but a Wireless Access Point. If one has three wireless Joey's operational, then "ac" would be helpful, but for one Joey. Wireless "n" should be sufficient. My original comment should have made this clear. Anyone know if they posted the technical specs fro the Wireless Access Point, including things like if it contains wired ports?

#18 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I have DIRECTV's wireless client setup with 3 clients. DIRECTV used A/N, clients reporting high 400's to mid 500's for connection speed and no issues with all 3 up and running. Considering that the channels coming from the satellites are usually 10Mbps or lower IMHO A/C isn't really necessary for both providers closed network.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Regardless if one uses their Wireless Access Point, or the one provided by DISH, eventually they both go to one's router. DISH is not providing a Wireless Access Point/Router, but a Wireless Access Point. If one has three wireless Joey's operational, then "ac" would be helpful, but for one Joey. Wireless "n" should be sufficient. My original comment should have made this clear. Anyone know if they posted the technical specs fro the Wireless Access Point, including things like if it contains wired ports?

What you are saying is not true.

The Wireless access point provided by Dish will only be used by the Hopper and the Wireless Joeys for a private video network.  Your home router will not be involved in the video delivery to a Wireless Joey in this scenario.

You may be confusing this new setup with how some people have been using a WiFi dongle on their "wired" Joey and are using their home network and router.  That configuration appears to work but is not officially supported by Dish... and we do not even know (I don't think we know) if the new Wireless Joey will actually allow such a connection without the use of the Dish Wireless Access Point.

#20 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Well, I finally found this:

https://rvseniormome...irelessjoey.pdf

And this:

https://rvseniormome..._06_26_2014.pdf

Based upon these, it is clear the Wireless Access Point is hooked up to the Hopper (first link above) via the Ethernet port. So, the Hopper needs to be set up so it can also talk to the home network router. Either, through the DISH WAP or wireless between the Hopper and the home network router. If IDSH connects to the home network router, through the DISH WAP, then that means any wireless device, which talks over 5GHz, can talk to the DISH WAP, as well. I would be very surprised if the DISH WAP only does "ac", but supports "n", as well:    

What you are saying is not true.

The Wireless access point provided by Dish will only be used by the Hopper and the Wireless Joeys for a private video network.  Your home router will not be involved in the video delivery to a Wireless Joey in this scenario.

You may be confusing this new setup with how some people have been using a WiFi dongle on their "wired" Joey and are using their home network and router.  That configuration appears to work but is not officially supported by Dish... and we do not even know (I don't think we know) if the new Wireless Joey will actually allow such a connection without the use of the Dish Wireless Access Point.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...