Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coming Back to DTV

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jasqid

Jasqid

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hi folks,

Its been just over a year since I cut the cord. I just got an "Exclusive Invitation" to "Come back" to DirecTV. I'm going to take them up on that.  I was hoping that someone could balance my expectations when it comes to the reinstall.

Is it reasonable to expect the Genie 44 model and not the 34?  I am only looking at 1 additional room, so the genie client would do. My pervious setup was an HR22-100 and H21-100 and used my home network for MRV.

Although the boxes were returned a year ago, the dish and its last config are still mounted. From what I have read the Genie tech uses the coax for it's own communication?

=================================
HR44-500 (HDMI) -> Samsung 56" DLP (HL56A650)
C41 (HDMI) -> LG 42" & GenieGo2

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Is it reasonable to expect the Genie 44 

75/25 chances.  so it looks good

The Genie and and Genie mini uses coax to talk to each other 

• Jasqid likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Jasqid

Jasqid

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Back in the game on Saturday. ;)

They even threw in a free GenieGo.

#4 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Back in the game on Saturday. ;)

They even threw in a free GenieGo.

Congratulations! Welcome back.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Awesome.  lets us your experience after you are installed 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Jasqid

Jasqid

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Awesome.  lets us your experience after you are installed 

All hooked up today. Genie HR44-500 and a C41-100 mini.

They decided not to use the old dish. Apparently in 2008 it was fine but they need higher numbers before they can leave a job. My house overhang was giving 99 some issues. So they mounted the dish on the roof with direct ladder access. (Something else they said was required). Ran a new drop (singlewire) into basement and over to service panel. Hooked up the PI, DECCA and GenieGo 2 to my router and switches in the basement. SWiM split from their runs to the Server Genie and client.

I have Ethernet in my greatroom where the Genie is and it is connected via Ethernet, but installer was insistent on also putting in the DECCA too. Said it was faster and would not congest home network. Thoughtful.

All in all, it was good. I thought it would be quicker for him since I had a lot of stuff ready but they had to remount the dish in a new location. The run was the same, actually a bit shorter... but now its mounted on my roof. Not sure if I liked that or not but he assured me it was proper so no leaks.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

All hooked up today. Genie HR44-500 and a C41-100 mini.

They decided not to use the old dish. Apparently in 2008 it was fine but they need higher numbers before they can leave a job. My house overhang was giving 99 some issues. So they mounted the dish on the roof with direct ladder access. (Something else they said was required). Ran a new drop (singlewire) into basement and over to service panel. Hooked up the PI, DECCA and GenieGo 2 to my router and switches in the basement. SWiM split from their runs to the Server Genie and client.

I have Ethernet in my greatroom where the Genie is and it is connected via Ethernet, but installer was insistent on also putting in the DECCA too. Said it was faster and would not congest home network. Thoughtful.

All in all, it was good. I thought it would be quicker for him since I had a lot of stuff ready but they had to remount the dish in a new location. The run was the same, actually a bit shorter... but now its mounted on my roof. Not sure if I liked that or not but he assured me it was proper so no leaks.

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Just a note.  you can either connect the Genie to the Internet using Ethernet cable or use a CCK (DECA) but NEVER both and it seems you have both.  not good.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Do you need to hook the Genie up directly to your router? I'll be having a Genie and a couple of minis (or a Genie and an HDDVR and mini) installed, and the internet cable comes into the bedroom (where one of the TVs is located.) Most of our TV viewing is upstairs in the den, so I assumed we'd have the Genie there and the minis in the bedroom and sunroom but the bedroom is the only location with a hardwire internet connection. Is performance better if the Genie is hardwired to the internet?

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Is performance better if the Genie is hardwired to the internet?

There is no difference where the is connection made. What you would want tho is a wired connection instead of wireless, so I would make sure to talk to the tech and have him install a DECA BB

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

There is no difference where the is connection made. What you would want tho is a wired connection instead of wireless, so I would make sure to talk to the tech and have him install a DECA BB

I'm not understanding. When you say no difference where the connection is made, what do you mean? No difference if the wired connection is to the Genie or the HDDVR or the Mini?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

you can only connect the Genie to the Internet directly, any other receiver can't be connected directly but will need a DECA (either wireless or wired) so if you can't connect the Genie, you will need a DECA (either wireless or wired) any where in the DirecTV coax network 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,022 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

In other words, the installer can provide a wired connection to your internet in the bedroom that will serve the entire DirecTV system.  That will tie in to the same coax that feeds the DVR or mini in the bedroom, you won't need any additional wiring. From there, all of your other DirecTV equipment will be connected over the coax connections, and do not need other internet connections.

The Genie itself can be connected directly to the internet (if it is available at that location) via a wired connection, or it can also be connected via wireless.  So you actually have two options based on where you want to place your equipment.  Connect the Genie via wireless to your LAN, or have a wired connection using a DECA module in your bedroom.  Either way will work, but I personally prefer wired whenever it is possible to do so.

#13 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

OK - so to be clear (need more coffee, LOL!) - if a Mini or HDDVR is connected directly to my router via wired connection, will the Genie get its internet connection via coax from that mini? Or is it still better to have the Genie the item that is wired to the router?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

You can't connect a client or DVR directly to the Internet only the Genie can be connected directly, IF the Genie can't be connected directly then you would need a DECA ( either wired or worthless)to inject the Internet to the coax network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

You can't connect a client or DVR directly to the Internet only the Genie can be connected directly, IF the Genie can't be connected directly then you would need a DECA ( either wired or worthless)to inject the Internet to the coax network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect (and thanks for taking the time to reply via Tapatalk - that can be a struggle sometimes, LOL!) I'm using Dish now and any of the DVR can be connected via ethernet directly to the internet. I'll just put the Genie in the bedroom where the cable modem and router are located. From a usability  point of view it doesn't matter, right? I.e. I can do anything from a mini I can do sitting in front of the Genie in terms of programming, etc.?

Edited by fudpucker, 30 June 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

From a usability  point of view it doesn't matter, right? I.e. I can do anything from a mini I can do sitting in front of the Genie in terms of programming, etc.?

It matters!!!!  First the Genie is more responsive then clients and DVRs, specially if you get the HR44.  the Genie also has PIP.  place the Genie where you watch more TV and let the tech know to install a DECA BB in the bedroom 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

It matters!!!!  First the Genie is more responsive then clients and DVRs, specially if you get the HR44.  the Genie also has PIP.  place the Genie where you watch more TV and let the tech know to install a DECA BB in the bedroom 

Thanks! Would have never known that. We watch TV most in the den, while the cable modem/router is in the bedroom. The 3rd TV is in the sunroom and third in terms of usage, So with that in mind, would you put the Genie in the Den, even though there is no direct wired connection to the router/cable modem on the 2nd floor in the bedroom, and then the mini or the HR24 DVR in the bedroom? and which in the sunroom? Thanks

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Thanks! Would have never known that. We watch TV most in the den, while the cable modem/router is in the bedroom. The 3rd TV is in the sunroom and third in terms of usage, So with that in mind, would you put the Genie in the Den, even though there is no direct wired connection to the router/cable modem on the 2nd floor in the bedroom, and then the mini or the HR24 DVR in the bedroom? and which in the sunroom? Thanks

Yes
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...