Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Three genies in one room

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

I am planning a media room that will have three TV's in it so I'll need three Genie minis in the room. Is there a way to have three Minis in one room so that they can all be independently controlled by remote control?

Edited by uscpsycho, 24 June 2014 - 12:44 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Run the remotes in RF mode, no problem at all doing that way.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

If all the TVs are the same brand each time you change the volume on one of them it will probably change all 3 of them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

If all the TVs are the same brand each time you change the volume on one of them it will probably change all 3 of them.

I'm not going to have the audio on for all three TV's at the same time, so this isn't going to be an issue.

Run the remotes in RF mode, no problem at all doing that way.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Then I assume I can use a programmable RF remote to control all three with one?

Any problem with extending this further, putting all 8 Minis in a closet and controlling them individually with RF remotes in different rooms? I've never needed to use an RF remote before, what's the range?

Edited by uscpsycho, 24 June 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

You can only have three Genie clients (minis) active at one time....

#6 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

You can only have three Genie clients (minis) active at one time....

I know. But you can have 8 clients connected at the same time. So my question is a valid one.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

If running RF then you must use the DIRECTV remote at this time if it's a C41/C41W mini client, it uses a different RF standard then the C31's.

And while you can have up to 8 clients authorized on a Genie it's still only three clients can be powered up and being used at one time, or three streams to other STB's like H2X's or HR2X's that are whole home DVR authorized.

#8 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

If running RF then you must use the DIRECTV remote at this time if it's a C41/C41W mini client, it uses a different RF standard then the C31's.

And while you can have up to 8 clients authorized on a Genie it's still only three clients can be powered up and being used at one time, or three streams to other STB's like H2X's or HR2X's that are whole home DVR authorized.

Say what? So if I have three mini clients in one room then I will have to use three separate DTV remotes? And if I have a universal RF remote I can't program it to control the mini's? If this is the only way it will work then this is crap.

What is the range of the RF remote?

Edited by uscpsycho, 24 June 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

Say what? So if I have three mini clients in one room then I will have to use three separate DTV remotes? And if I have a universal RF remote I can't program it to control the mini's? If this is the only way it will work then this is crap.

What is the range of the RF remote?

I'm almost positive a you can operate 3 seperate receivers with one remote.

I think you just program the other 2 in AV1 and AV2.
But like rad stated I believe they have to be c31s because they use the older remotes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,015 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

So if I have three mini clients in one room then I will have to use three separate DTV remotes?

If your plan is to control them with DIRECTV remotes via RF, then yes, you'll need three remotes. If you're willing to install and configure a third party universal remote that communicates RF with IR emitters, you can control all three with that remote with the minis operated via IR mode.

And if I have a universal RF remote I can't program it to control the mini's?

AFAIK, universal remotes that can do the RC71 RF protocol (RF4CE) are not yet available.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

You might also consider using H25 receivers rather than Genie minis. They will work fine both for showing live TV as well as streaming recordings from the Genie. The only thing they don't have is a live buffer on live TV.  Another option would be to use HR2x DVRs, each of which can also stream recordings from each other or the Genie, as well as have their own tuners and buffers for live TV.

This approach will also let you go beyond the 3 client limitation.

• uscpsycho likes this

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

I'm almost positive a you can operate 3 seperate receivers with one remote.

I think you just program the other 2 in AV1 and AV2.
But like rad stated I believe they have to be c31s because they use the older remotes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You can use the older remotes with the C41/C41W, but only in IR mode, not RF.

If you went the AV1/AV2 route then you would need to use the older remotes since the new RC71 doesn't have a switch for that.

• damondlt likes this

#13 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

This is a bit frustrating. Definitely one of those times where I wish people who aren't 100 PERCENT sure would refrain from chiming in because I'm getting conflicting answers that are all over the map.

Here is the situation. I'm going to have a Genie plus 8 mini clients all in a closet. None of the minis will be in the same room as the TV. In one room there will be three different TV's connected to three different minis so from that room I need to be able to independently control three minis with ONE remote (preferably a universal remote so I can operate all three with one remote).

Since the Genie & minis are in a closet I'm obviously going to have to communicate with them using an RF remote.

Can someone who is 100 PERCENT sure they know what they are talking about tell me what my options are? Based on the thread so far it sounds like these are my only options.

1) I muse have 8 DirecTV Genie remotes -- including three in one room -- because no third party universal remote can communicate with a Genie or Mini via RF.

2) From the room with three TV's I can use a universal RF remote in combination with an IR blaster in the closet which will let me independently control all three minis. And then in the other rooms I can either use a DirecTV RF remote or I can use a universal remote with IR blasters.

In case #2 is there a practical limit on how many minis I can put in one closet before IR signals from the blaster overlap?

You might also consider using H25 receivers rather than Genie minis. They will work fine both for showing live TV as well as streaming recordings from the Genie. The only thing they don't have is a live buffer on live TV.  Another option would be to use HR2x DVRs, each of which can also stream recordings from each other or the Genie, as well as have their own tuners and buffers for live TV.

This approach will also let you go beyond the 3 client limitation.

Now this advice is very interesting.

The H25 solution would be ideal if it had buffers for live TV; I want that so I think the HR2x option is a better solution. This is going to go a little off topic but I'd love some more information about this option. For starters, is the additional monthly fee for additional HR2x DVR's $6 as it is with the mini? 

Some other questions I'd love to get answers to. I understand that this eliminates the 3 mini limit, but I assume that if I'm streaming from the Genie itself I'm still limited to three simultaneous streams. Is that right? Does this route still limit me to 8 HR2x DVR's in addition to the Genie or can I have more than 8? 

And what about the other DVR's, what is their streaming capacity? If I have a HR2x can I watch something directly from it while another DVR streams something else from it? And if so, how many DVRs can stream from a HR2x at one time?

Can the Genie stream FROM a HR2x?

I already have an HR20 and HR24 which came out way before Genie existed. Are you saying that these can play recordings from each other and play recordings from a Genie? And if so, will this work without a Genie in the mix? Can I play recordings on my HR20 using my HR24 today without a Genie? HOW?

Thanks guys, lots of questions here but very helpful to me and I'm sure this will be helpful to others who have these same questions in the future.

#14 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

The H25 solution would be ideal if it had buffers for live TV; I want that so I think the HR2x option is a better solution. This is going to go a little off topic but I'd love some more information about this option. For starters, is the additional monthly fee for additional HR2x DVR's $6 as it is with the mini?

Yes. The additional fee is $6 regardless of receiver type.

Some other questions I'd love to get answers to. I understand that this eliminates the 3 mini limit, but I assume that if I'm streaming from the Genie itself I'm still limited to three simultaneous streams. Is that right?

Yes.

Does this route still limit me to 8 HR2x DVR's in addition to the Genie or can I have more than 8?

A standard Genie install includes a dish with a SWiM LNB. This install has an 8 tuner limit. If you order DVRs instead of mini clients, your tuner count increases quickly, which necessitates using a different LNB capable of feeding one or more SWiM-16s. Each SWiM-16 supports 16 tuners. So as the tuner count grows, the installation becomes more complicated. But there are some users here with very complicated installations. I don't know of a DVR limit per account.

And what about the other DVR's, what is their streaming capacity? If I have a HR2x can I watch something directly from it while another DVR streams something else from it? And if so, how many DVRs can stream from a HR2x at one time?

HR2x DVRs can only do one outgoing stream at a time. Anything else in the playlist from that DVR is unavailable remotely, but is available directly.

Can the Genie stream FROM a HR2x?

Yes.

I already have an HR20 and HR24 which came out way before Genie existed. Are you saying that these can play recordings from each other and play recordings from a Genie? And if so, will this work without a Genie in the mix? Can I play recordings on my HR20 using my HR24 today without a Genie? HOW?

Yes. Yes. Yes. You need Whole-Home DVR added to your account and at the very least your DVRs need to be networked.
  • uscpsycho likes this

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

All HR2xes can stream 1 recorded program while you watch something else.  This requires Whole Home  and a Deca converter on each HR2x except the 24 where Deca is built in.  The monthly fees are the same whether it's a DVR, tuner, genie or mini.

Genies and clients can watch streams from HR2xes on the same DECA cloud.

Your challenge in putting 8 minis in one closet (or 8 dvrs for that matter) is you will only be able to use IR and IR blasters.  The RF of the 44 Genie and C4x minis are a new RFCE standard and so far, there's no multi-device or universal RF remote.

• uscpsycho likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

Yes. Yes. Yes. You need Whole-Home DVR added to your account and at the very least your DVRs need to be networked.

When you say the DVR's need to be networked, you just mean connected to my LAN, the same way I connect the DVR to my network to use DIRECTV2PC or to remotely program the DVR from my phone. There is nothing special, correct?

Another question is remote recording. I understand that if I set something to record using a Mini it will always be recorded to the Genie. But if I am using DVR #4 to watch something from DVR #2, can I also schedule something to record on DVR #2 from DVR #4? Or can I only schedule recordings on the "local" DVR?

All HR2xes can stream 1 recorded program while you watch something else.  This requires Whole Home  and a Deca converter on each HR2x except the 24 where Deca is built in.  The monthly fees are the same whether it's a DVR, tuner, genie or mini.

Genies and clients can watch streams from HR2xes on the same DECA cloud.

Your challenge in putting 8 minis in one closet (or 8 dvrs for that matter) is you will only be able to use IR and IR blasters.  The RF of the 44 Genie and C4x minis are a new RFCE standard and so far, there's no multi-device or universal RF remote.

Can you explain what you mean by the same DECA cloud? Is there a limit to how many minis and/or DVRs I can put on the same DECA cloud?

I may end up with more than 8 minis or receivers in the closet. Why is this a challenge? Is there going to be IR overlap? Ultimately I think I'm going to have a mix of using DirecTV RF remotes in some rooms and universal remotes in other rooms.

This brings up a different question. With a Genie + Minis I am limited to 8 total clients. If I use DVR's instead of Minis then I can have more than 8 clients. The added benefit of having a DVR at every TV is that I'm not limited to 8 and I have a lot more recording capacity. And the cost of a DVR and Mini is the same. So is there a downside to using all these DVRs instead of minis? Since everything is going into a closet space is not a consideration.

#17 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

When you say the DVR's need to be networked, you just mean connected to my LAN, the same way I connect the DVR to my network to use DIRECTV2PC or to remotely program the DVR from my phone. There is nothing special, correct?

If the HR20 and HR24 are both connected to your LAN, then you would just need Whole-Home DVR activated on your account to start watching the recordings from one on the other. But, this is not the "supported" setup and it may be difficult to get Whole-Home DVR activated. More info: http://www.dbstalk.c...ome-networking/

Another question is remote recording. I understand that if I set something to record using a Mini it will always be recorded to the Genie. But if I am using DVR #4 to watch something from DVR #2, can I also schedule something to record on DVR #2 from DVR #4? Or can I only schedule recordings on the "local" DVR?

A DVR can only schedule recordings for itself. An HD receiver can schedule (but not review, cancel or otherwise manage) recordings for connected DVRs.
  • uscpsycho likes this

#18 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Can you explain what you mean by the same DECA cloud? Is there a limit to how many minis and/or DVRs I can put on the same DECA cloud?

DECA is the name for DIRECTV's coax networking. It requires some type of SWiM (Single Wire Multiswitch) install and allows the hardware to communicate over coax instead of Ethernet. The DECA cloud would include all of the devices connected to the same coax network. There can be 16 devices or nodes in one cloud.
  • uscpsycho likes this

#19 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

DECA is the name for DIRECTV's coax networking. It requires some type of SWiM (Single Wire Multiswitch) install and allows the hardware to communicate over coax instead of Ethernet. The DECA cloud would include all of the devices connected to the same coax network. There can be 16 devices or nodes in one cloud.

16 devices, not 16 tuners, correct?

So with 16 devices you're likely to have a boatload of tuners, but it's still possible using the proper LNB.

#20 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

16 devices, not 16 tuners, correct?

So with 16 devices you're likely to have a boatload of tuners, but it's still possible using the proper LNB.

Yes and yes, the key word being possible. Having much of the hardware in one location helps, considering that there are limitations on coax length.
  • uscpsycho likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...