Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Three genies in one room

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

If the HR20 and HR24 are both connected to your LAN, then you would just need Whole-Home DVR activated on your account to start watching the recordings from one on the other. But, this is not the "supported" setup and it may be difficult to get Whole-Home DVR activated. More info: http://www.dbstalk.c...ome-networking/

What makes my setup unsupported? The lack of a Genie or the lack of using DECAs? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

What makes my setup unsupported? The lack of a Genie or the lack of using DECAs?

Neither really, although the lack of using DECAs is part of it. A supported install would only have a single connection to your LAN, not Ethernet connections to each DVR/receiver. Approved hardware is required, including SWiM and splitters, as well as external DECAs for pre 24 series boxes.
  • uscpsycho likes this

#23 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,231 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

There are two ways to network DirecTV equipment. The "specified" / primary / supported method is via coax. This is where the DECA devices come into play.  This puts all of the network infrastructure within DirecTVs equipment and support.  The "unsupported" method is by connecting individual receivers/DVRs directly to your LAN individually. When you do that, networking between devices is now dependent upon your LAN infrastructure, which DirecTV has no control over. Therefore, they won't support it.

With a DECA/supported network (over coax), there will be one (and only one) connection, someplace (doesn't matter where really) to your LAN/WAN for internet access.

• uscpsycho likes this

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

2) From the room with three TV's I can use a universal RF remote in combination with an IR blaster in the closet which will let me independently control all three minis. And then in the other rooms I can either use a DirecTV RF remote or I can use a universal remote with IR blasters.

This is your only option for the three-source room if you want to use a single remote. There's no guarantee you're going to like it; the exercise of switching receivers may be cumbersome and require considerable discipline on the part of the operator.

You tape the blasters in front of the IR sensors on the receivers/streamers in such a way that outside light cannot exit (or enter). In that way, you insure that the light from the emitters doesn't control another receiver (all-important).

I'm not sure why you think you're getting conflicting information. I think the real problem is that you've presented a number of different (and substantially unrelated) issues and people are picking one of them and running with it. I chose the remote issue because it seems like it could be a show-stopper.
  • jagrim likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

When you do that, networking between devices is now dependent upon your LAN infrastructure, which DirecTV has no control over. Therefore, they won't support it.

How much more DIRECTV support does a self-installed DECA setup get than a non-DECA setup?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm not sure why you think you're getting conflicting information. I think the real problem is that you've presented a number of different (and substantially unrelated) issues and people are picking one of them and running with it.

So true.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...