Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Two way bundle contract over

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

I've been a FiOs phone & internet customer for years. Tomorrow my digital voice, and 50/35 internet bundle contract is up. I had been paying $79.99 a month. The best they could do for me today was same package for $84.99 a month with a new 2 year commitment, or the same monthly price without a commitment (?) for 12 months. This last deal included a $20 a month increase, but then a "Valued Customer" discount of $20.00 a month. Figure that one out.

They even went so far as to tell me what Comcast would offer me, and "it wasn't better".

Rep said if I tried to call retention, they would give me same deals.

This is much harsher than I experienced 2 years ago.

Any tips out there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

If you are satisfied with your Internet and phone service I suggest you take one of the offers.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#3 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Consider moving to FiOS TV..I have done this and am (so far) very pleased. See http://www.dbstalk.c...o/#entry3260767 for my experiences.  The combined price of DirecTV Premier and FiOS internet (I have 75/35) and phone was about $50 more than the bundle of Phone, Internet and FiosTV's Ultimate Package, without any discounts.  With the 24 months of discounts I received, the price difference became almost $100.

I didn't push for any discounts on my old bundle but I (like you I assume) have always found it easy to renew with discounts in previous years.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#4 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, I agree with Diana.  There are always discounts to be had.  My contract (triple play) was set to expire in March, and I actually got a letter from Verizon telling me that I could reup RIGHT NOW and get a special good customer discount.  Then they opened up this deal (forget what it's called right now) where if you have quantum internet, and Verizon cell service, you got $20 off per month ($10 each for your triple play and you cell).  I upgraded to quantum just to get that discount.  Overall, I got faster internet speed than what I had, and ended up paying less for my next contract.  That's when I upgraded to their VMS (quantum TV) too.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

I've been a FiOs phone & internet customer for years. Tomorrow my digital voice, and 50/35 internet bundle contract is up. I had been paying $79.99 a month. The best they could do for me today was same package for $84.99 a month with a new 2 year commitment, or the same monthly price without a commitment (?) for 12 months. This last deal included a $20 a month increase, but then a "Valued Customer" discount of $20.00 a month. Figure that one out.

They even went so far as to tell me what Comcast would offer me, and "it wasn't better".
Rep said if I tried to call retention, they would give me same deals.
This is much harsher than I experienced 2 years ago.

Any tips out there?

How much for Internet and no phone? Then go get an ooma.

And don't take thief word for it see how much comcast is for Internet.

Id probably switch Internet providers if it was a lot cheaper. And then just go back and forth. Switching Internet IMHO is a lot easier than switching tv.

#6 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

I would never leave D*, mostly due to NFLST, not an option

I had discounts for

bundling

one bill

now they seem to be taking them away

#7 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Strange resolution here.

FiOs ended up giving me the same double play monthly rate, but without a contract. You read that right, a two year contract was higher.

I was told they raised my monthly rate, than applied the largest discount a "valued customer" discount, but with commitment. How strand is that?

#8 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

That valued customer discount is one of the ones I got on my last renewal.

spam firewall