Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Old games and Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:25 AM

Hi all!

I am a fan of several older DOS games and I'd like to play them on my windows XP machine. I know it's like playing Pong on an X-Box, but I really miss playing Dune II and other real-time strategy games that don't require advanced degrees in military strategy to compete.

Anyway, does anyone know of an emulator like "Doomsday" (it allows Doom, Doom 2 and Heretic to run on XP no problem) for games like Dune II?

Thanks!

(BTW for those that don't know, Dune II is the basis for the Command and Conquer game series)

Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:07 PM

Hi all!

I am a fan of several older DOS games and I'd like to play them on my windows XP machine. I know it's like playing Pong on an X-Box, but I really miss playing Dune II and other real-time strategy games that don't require advanced degrees in military strategy to compete.

Anyway, does anyone know of an emulator like "Doomsday" (it allows Doom, Doom 2 and Heretic to run on XP no problem) for games like Dune II?

Thanks!

(BTW for those that don't know, Dune II is the basis for the Command and Conquer game series)

Tony

Have you tried the compatibility modes for XP? I've had great results running some old DOS stuff on XP. XP even has a wizard to help you with the settings. To get to the wizard is a bit of a PITA, but you can also change the settings manually. To find out all the info, click Start > Help and Support > type "compatibility" in the search box. The first item on the left pane will be "Getting older programs to run on Windows XP". I've even had good luck getting the sound to work in DOS sessions since the drivers for my Soundblaster Live 5.1 have a good emulation mode builtin.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

Hey, anyone try running Carmageddon (the original) on XP? I still play the game after hours at my office on my 3 year old ME machine sometimes...
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   goughl

goughl

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:49 PM

Off topic some what, I am running Win98SE and thinking of upgrading to XP. Is it worth the trouble?

#5 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:13 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!!! XP is the most stable platform I've worked with. Other than the fact I can't get a couple of old DOS games to run (C&C and DuneII), it's the best upgrade I've done.

Remember that XP does not have any "real" DOS. It has an emulator that works well 97% of the time for me. :)

I've tried the compatibility thing. I've even configured a dedicated autoexec and config file, but it still will not get past the point where it tries to access the display driver to go to a full screen mode and these programs will not run in a window.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I was really looking for an emulator like "Doomsday" for the ID games. Only specifically written for Westwood.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:49 AM

MY only objection to XP is the time it takes to boot after all the security patches are applied.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:01 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!!! XP is the most stable platform I've worked with. Other than the fact I can't get a couple of old DOS games to run (C&C and DuneII), it's the best upgrade I've done.

Remember that XP does not have any "real" DOS. It has an emulator that works well 97% of the time for me. :)

I've tried the compatibility thing. I've even configured a dedicated autoexec and config file, but it still will not get past the point where it tries to access the display driver to go to a full screen mode and these programs will not run in a window.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I was really looking for an emulator like "Doomsday" for the ID games. Only specifically written for Westwood.

See ya
Tony

That would probably be the fault of your video drivers. Some video card manufacturers don't impliment the different modes correctly, resulting in some modes not working or not working as they should. My ATI card using the latest Catalyst drivers, do work in full screen DOS mode very well. I had lots of problems with Nvidia drivers when I had one of those cards.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:04 AM

MY only objection to XP is the time it takes to boot after all the security patches are applied.

Boot up time can be significantly lowered by turning off unneeded services and doing a regular defrag using a utility like PerfectDisk. The builtin defrag is rather limited and doesn't help that much. Microsoft also has a free utility you can download which will optimize your boot process. It records the times of all the services starting as well as startup programs, etc. and then reorders them to make it more efficient.

#9 OFFLINE   Neutron

Neutron

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:48 PM

Try a program called VDM Sound. It worked wonders for Betrayal at Krondor.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...