Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

You verses technology

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,853 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

I enjoy technology. I really do. But, some days, there are some design decisions that still has me thinking "Why?" Here is a few fustrations, and how I would solve them.
  • GPS that does not include a "pause" button - Anyone who owns a GPS has experienced this frustration. You are driving a long trip, and need to make a stop because you are either A. hungry, B. thirsty, or C. need to use the bathroom. When you do that, your GPS starts going into the "recalculating" as it tries to figure out how to get back to the main highway as you are parking your car. Stopping the navigation requires pressing a few buttons, which is often a bad idea when driving. I just want to pause the unit from recalculating.
  • If you can interface with the outside world, get your time - The days of setting your clock by +1-303-499-7111 is over. If your device interfaces with the outside world, then it should be able to set the time automatically from it, whether it be via the Internet via Network Time Protocol (NTP) (I prefer pool.ntp.org), Global Positioning Satellite (GPS), Cell Phone, Radio Broadcast Data System (RBDS) (if the station has the clock set correctly), and through the air via WWV/WWVH. Yet, despite having both a GPS compass and RBDS, I still have to set the clock manually in my car. Most people really don't bother, and their clocks slowly drift off by several minutes. Likewise, if I am updating the firmware of my MP3 player or iPod and have it hooked up to my computer, why not correct the time while you are at it?
  • Not being able to combine Bluetooth with another audio source - A long time ago, having Bluetooth meant that you had a hand-free headset so that you can drive, answer the phone, and not get a ticket. Thanks to the Smartphone, I can also broadcast audio from my smartphone into a Bluetooth speaker. Very cool. Here is the frustrating part. I enjoy the XM radio that is included in my car (and am looking forward to the return of 40s on 4 station), and I use my phone for navigation. Can I combine the audio so that I can listen to XM music while receiving turn by turn directions through my phone? No. Sometimes, I swear that auto manufacturers are five years behind the rest of the world.
  • The more critical my data, the less secure my password and account access is - This brings up one of my pet peeves, and it drives me up the wall. The most critical of anyone's accounts is their banking accounts, because if someone gets in there, they can clean me out, and I may not realize it until I get to the grocery store and get the "insufficient funds". Yet, my financial institutions allow only short 12-character passwords with a limit character set, and MAYBE two-factor authentication. Yet, my friend's web forum which can cause me absolutely no damage if hacked, allows a 100 character password with any sort of character sets. While brings me to another point...
  • Better security... as long as someone else pays for it - Europe has had the chip-and-pin secure credit cards for at least a decade. When I was in Canada last year and ate at a restaurant, the waiter brought over a electronic unit where I could swipe my card, add the tip, and sign electronically, and get a receipt without my credit card leaving my possession. Yet, in the United States, if I was paying for my meal, I have to lose possession of my card by giving it to a waiter, and sign a paper receipt. The magnetic stripes are literally 1970s, and are still used because the cost of a card with a strip is cheaper than the card with a chip. Migration stalled because the merchants, banks, and credit card issues ended up arguing who should pay for the migration. It took the Target data breach to break the logjam.
What are you pain points in regards to technology?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

I have some of the same ones :)

My theory on the password is that your friend really doesn't have to deal with tech support. Some large companies don't want the calls that someone can't log in, and have to figure out that it's because caps lock is on. I'm not defending that position, I want two factor and long passwords as well, but can see why it happens.

And my fear is most banks won't go chip and pin, they'll go chip and signature.

My other peeve is all these Internet devices, whether it's a little webcam up to a smartphone that don't get updated when there's a known security vulnerability being exploited.

#3 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

What are you pain points in regards to technology?

I dont think too much of it to be quite frank....

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I love reading about new tech. many sound really terrific and they could change the world...except no one will pay for them, or we see an initial test and wild speculation then nothing further.

Where are the graphene super fast rechargeable batteries?

Where are the sugar based batteries?

Where's DNA based memory?

Where's crystal based memory?

Where's my transporter?

Where's my flying car?

Why aren't TVs available with built in sound receivers? OK, I saw a 4K B&O TV yesterday that you can connect up to 10 speakers wirelessly (their own of course), but it didn't really do a whole lot of sound processing.

Why do I have to choose between Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc? Whay can't they all work together better. E.g. iTunes in Windows sux.

Aw, never mind... the universe doesn't exist anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

iTunes on the PC still amazes me.  Apple certainly missed an opportunity to showcase for probably the largest installed base of any non-PC product how simple it could have been.  Instead, it's the most frustrating and obtuse program that I can name.

And every update gets worse!

• Dude111 likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

I enjoy technology. I really do. But, some days, there are some design decisions that still has me thinking "Why?" Here is a few fustrations, and how I would solve them.

• Better security... as long as someone else pays for it - Europe has had the chip-and-pin secure credit cards for at least a decade. When I was in Canada last year and ate at a restaurant, the waiter brought over a electronic unit where I could swipe my card, add the tip, and sign electronically, and get a receipt without my credit card leaving my possession.

Chili's has installed over 45,000 Ziosk units here in the states this year.  http://www.ziosk.com/

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,865 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

I'm at that point in life where new tech, like GoogleWear, is not so much beyond me. But mo' of I don't care to learn it.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

iTunes on the PC still amazes me.  Apple certainly missed an opportunity to showcase for probably the largest installed base of any non-PC product how simple it could have been.  Instead, it's the most frustrating and obtuse program that I can name.

Every iTunes update fails the first time I try to install it. If I wait a few days, then it generally works. Isn't it odd that waaaay in the past, Microsoft created the Apple version of OFFICE first, then Windows? Now a Mac use might have to wait a year to get a new version. Come on, kids, can't we all get along?

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

Microsoft has pretty much done that with Office now for iPad.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

• GPS that does not include a "pause" button  I use my iPhone as my GPS, touching the "X" on Google maps actually pauses the navigation  
  • Not being able to combine Bluetooth with another audio source -  Using XM on a Smartphone will allow you to do this 
  • The more critical my data, the less secure my password and account access is - Not sure how many characters Chase allows, mine is about 13 characters long, but Chase has a service that sends text messages to your smartphone seconds after a transaction takes place.
  • Better security... as long as someone else pays for it take a look at www.looppay.com.  

Most of these are already "fixed" in someway

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

I agree that iTunes became a mess when it became a one for all product,  iTunes was the only way to sync your phone, get music/ringtones to your phone, update your phone, a place top keep apps for you phone, a place to get podcast, etc.  But fortunately with iCloud iTunes is no longer needed. the only time I use iTunes is to restore my phone when a new jailbreak is available  so that I can re-jailbrake.  For example, two days ago I restore my iPhone to 7.1.1 from 7.0.6 since the former just got jailbroken 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

I had someone screwing around with my iTunes account.  Kept getting the password reset.  I don't use iTunes, not a music fan, but I do like to burn the occasional CD to play during baseball season so I have something to listen to while the Yankee games are recording.  I finally got sick of all the emails from iTunes about "my" password changes and called them up and suspended the account until I got another email address for them to use.  Once I did that the emails stopped and I forgot about it.  Now, I've called them three times to lift the suspension and nothing works.  All the music I downloaded years ago won't download and I get a dialog box that says my account is suspended or something like that.  I've just about given up calling them.  They must have a lot of problems, you play hell getting thru on a phone to them.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

• GPS that does not include a "pause" button - Anyone who owns a GPS has experienced this frustration. You are driving a long trip, and need to make a stop because you are either A. hungry, B. thirsty, or C. need to use the bathroom. When you do that, your GPS starts going into the "recalculating" as it tries to figure out how to get back to the main highway as you are parking your car. Stopping the navigation requires pressing a few buttons, which is often a bad idea when driving. I just want to pause the unit from recalculating.

When I go on a trip, I use my OnStar nav system and if we stop for a restaurant break I think it just asks if you want to continue or disconnect when the car starts up again.  I don't remember ever having to reset it.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Auto manufacturers ARE 5 years behind the rest of the world. When they design a car, they can only design it to use technology that exists at the time. How long do you think it takes to get a car from the design stage to the showroom floor?

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#15 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,865 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Auto manufacturers ARE 5 years behind the rest of the world. When they design a car, they can only design it to use technology that exists at the time. How long do you think it takes to get a car from the design stage to the showroom floor?

That's only from the ground up. Most changes are done year-by-year.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

spam firewall