Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about DirecTV whole home interface

Best Answer peds48 , 25 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

In a home with multiple DVRs and MRV active, there is one master playlist.  However pressing the yellow (or dash)  button will let you toggle between the master playlist (that include all DVRs) or the local playlist 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

I am moving into a new home and considering several options with respect to distributing video throughout the house. One of them is DirecTV MRV.

Many things to consider but one question I have is the interface. I am going to be using a combination of Genie Minis and HR2x DVRs. Since I've never used MRV before I don't know how it works.

When I'm using a Genie Mini will I see all the recordings on all the DVRs or just the ones on the Genie DVR?

When I am using one of the networked DVRs I understand that I can watch recorded shows from any of the connected DVRs. How will I access the recordings on the other DVRs? Does everything appear in one master list or is there a separate list for each DVR which requires me to navigate to the desired DVR's list?

TIA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

The Mini should see what the Genie sees on the other DVRs.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

The Mini should see what the Genie sees on the other DVRs.

Thanks. But that brings me back to my second question. I will have other DVR's on the network, so how will the Genie "see" what has been recorded on the other DVRs? Will it all be in one huge master list or are there individual lists for each DVR? Or some other interface?

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Viewing the other DVRs PlayList will depend on how you setup Whole Home/Share PlayList on each DVR that is in your home.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Viewing the other DVRs PlayList will depend on how you setup Whole Home/Share PlayList on each DVR that is in your home.

I started this thread because regardless of how I set it up I have no idea what that will look like. I didn't know there were multiple options.

Maybe someone can be kind enough to explain what I will see on my screen and what the different cases are. Or point me to a resource where I can see for myself. I tried searching but couldn't find the specific answers I'm looking for.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Each DVR can be set to share or not share it's playlist. But, if sharing is on, then each DVR will see everything recorded on every other DVR. Clients are basically an extension of the Genie.

If one DVR's playlist sharing is turned off, then anything recorded on that DVR will not be seen on any other.

• uscpsycho likes this

#7 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

List options (at least last time I checked) do not enable you to arrange by DVR. It is a complete list of all the programs on DVRs you have set up to participate (share their listings). I leave mine default newest on top. If you record a series and keep multiple episodes it creates folders (little folder icon in front of the series title). Programs are listed with DVR's "name" ahead of the program when you bore in via selection. (you might duplicate episodes on several machines for home sanity sake :) ).

You can set list to only show what is on that specific DVR. I recall options to list olders first, show genere and a few others. I have just taken the default

Don "just spittin this out from memory" Bolton

• uscpsycho likes this

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#8 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thank you!!!

This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. When sharing is turned on, wherever I am in the house I will see everything in one master list. That is what I was hoping for. I don't want to have to dig through a bunch of lists to find the program I want to watch.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:18 PM   Best Answer

In a home with multiple DVRs and MRV active, there is one master playlist.  However pressing the yellow (or dash)  button will let you toggle between the master playlist (that include all DVRs) or the local playlist 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

On my Genie, pressing the yellow or dash button when I'm in the playlist doesn't do this.  It pops up the Playlist Options sub-menu, which has a "Filter By Playlist" option.  Selecting this option then gives me the ability to select "All" or "Local Playlist".

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

On my Genie, pressing the yellow or dash button when I'm in the playlist doesn't do this.  It pops up the Playlist Options sub-menu, which has a "Filter By Playlist" option.  Selecting this option then gives me the ability to select "All" or "Local Playlist".

this is an oxymoron.  you are descrying exactly what I said it would do 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

this is an oxymoron.  you are descrying exactly what I said it would do 

I read your post as if you were saying that pressing one of those buttons while you are in the playlist would cause the playlist to toggle between "Local" and "All".  Not that it would bring you to a multi-layer menu that would eventually allow you to do so.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

the yellow or dash buttons will let you do exactly that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall