Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HWS - tuner 3 keeps freezing

Hopper Sling PTAT FREEZE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Suddenly (last couple of days) I've noticed one of my two Hoppers With Sling misbehaving. I first noticed when PTAT didn't record. I checked the daily schedule for Monday, and it said PTAT was "Deleted by user livingroom". Nope, nobody deleted anything. Any why can't I watch locals? It seems tuner1 and tuner2 are OK, but tuner3 is frozen. If I change channels from the frozen image, I get a black screen. So long as I choose something outside the locals, tuner1 or tuner2 is brought into play and it works fine. So I reboot. Everything goes back to normal. Next day (Tuesday) PTAT records OK. But just when I start to think it was a glitch, local program on channel 4 freezes this morning. Press red button - yep, tuner3 is hosed. Everything else works. This has repeated a number of times today. I had to configure the upstairs Hopper to grab PTAT for a while.

Now I have to contact Dish and get this thing replaced. I've tried pressing the red button, pressing the "reset" icon in the settings, even unplugging power/plugging it back in. After a while tuner3 freezes again.

Anyone else seen this? I suspect a firmware update triggered this, but alas there's no "when did this thing last update" log (or is there?). Also I can't roll it back to a previous version as a test.

So now I have to save all the recordings onto an external drive before they come to take it away. These things have been fairly reliable up until now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,046 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

tuner's can is very hot area inside of  H/H2 - try to add more cooling for the DVR

Edited by P Smith, 25 June 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Here is an update. 

I enabled PTAT on the upstairs unit. It failed to record PTAT all the way through last night. We left the TV monitor on, and the program froze - just like the downstairs unit!

The configuration is:

DPP 1K.4 looking at 77, 72 and 61.5 (port 4 vacant)

DUO Node

2x HWS receiver running firmware S503 NDGB

1x Joey (powered off, unused)

So I checked the "System Status" - and it shows poor signal strength on 61.5! That's where the locals are. It also says, in the details, that we've lost signal several times over the last few days.

Wow. I guess I know what I need to fix now... It's great to have some tools on the receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

OK. I noticed that the signal strength for 61.5 was acceptable for tuner1, but tuner2 had difficulty locking it in, and tuner3 didn't see it at all. I'm not sure what's up with that. Perhaps the way DPP hardware stacks the tuner frequencies makes tuner3 the pickiest (due to cable attenuation)? The run from the node to the receiver is fairly short, and consists of high quality cable.

Anyway, I went to the dish and realized the source of the overall problem. My wife's River Birch tree. One of the three trunks has grown to the point where it now blocks the signal for 61.5,

On a whim I replaced the DPP 1K.4 LNBF (I have a spare). This had the effect of reducing the signal seen on tuner1, but strangely enough tuner3 locks on easily now. The strength is very low compared to 72 or 77, but it is THERE and that may be the needed difference.

I will wait to see what happens with PTAT tonight before I lop off that trunk of the tree or move the dish.

Edited by JimD, 27 June 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

I have noticed that some or all of PT does NOT get recorded.  I started recording PT on both Hoppers. 

I had previously stoped PT because that was the work around ATS said would correct the problem with the faulty recording of high priority programs on 2nd Hopper.

Now that I know that Hopper ATS is flakely, I reenabled PT on that received.  My wife has bulk recordings on her Brazilian Channels  18 hours per day.  We break it into 3 hour blocks.

She also skips commercials and skips past shows that are unimportant to her.

The schedlue changes fairly often and the times change without notice on the Brazilian station.  Teh program guide is days behind in getting corrections to shows and show names.

So we are very happy that dish has enabled block manual timers on the Hoppers, like we had on our 722's..

#6 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

There are a number of folks all over the map seeing this problem with S503 firmware. It isn't the low signal strength at my location that causes it.

Thread here.

#7 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

My Hopper System Info:

SW Version is S503 NDGD 5/30/14, 4:05AM.

MY BOOTWARE VERSION IS 1513 NDGD

Transceiver Firmware  005a.

#8 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

All three tuner strengths are green and average 56+/-1.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hopper, Sling, PTAT, FREEZE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...