Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish deactivates the split networks tuner outside of P/T (update: no, wrong information)

Dish deactvates split tuner outside PrimeTime

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,331 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

I don't recall seeing the conflict type Stewart proposes. A higher priority timer at 6:30 should take prescience over a lower priority timer at 6:00. The lower priority conflicting events are marked "skipped by priority" when the event list is rebuilt at night.

If one is watching live and get the warning popup that says that the tuner is about to be taken for a recording there is the option to let the event fire (taking the tuner) or stop the event (skipped by user) and watch live. Unless there is something strange going on with that setting ...

I can't confirm the flaws reported. Hopefully someone at DISH can ... because if it is not a problem that can be replicated then it is not a problem that can be fixed.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,458 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

I haven't tested lately... but I was sure that was how it worked... that timers were first fired in the order they "occur" by the clock, then by priority.  I'll have to do some testing myself, though I can't specifically test the thread starter's scenario... I can test on my 922 at least with regards to the priority and see how that receiver behaves to overlapping timers and which fire vs those that are skipped by priority resolution.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,331 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:49 AM

In my tests 6:30 with a higher priority than 6:00 skips the 6:00 show. Priority beats start time.

If you are watching TV when an event needs a tuner the user will be given a prompt offering to skip the recording event. If you do not respond to the prompt the default is to kill the live viewing and give up the tuner to the timer.

So say you had several events scheduled - for the sake of argument, lets say the events are Sports Center at 6pm on 140 ESPN, America's Pregame on 150 Fox Sports 1 at 6pm and the three national newscasts on ABC, CBS and NBC at 6:30pm. Your daily schedule would show no conflicts, ESPN and FOXS1 would use the first two tuners and the three locals recordings would be scheduled to use the third/PTAT tuner.

Add in the complication that you're watching TV or you were watching earlier in the day and left the receiver on tuned to a non PTAT channel. For the sake of argument say you were watching Top Gear on 135 BBCA (it airs every hour from 4pm to 7pm on Monday).

5pm - one tuner in use watching BBCA.
6pm - three tuners in use: one watching BBCA, one recording ESPN, one recording FOXS1.
~6:29pm - The user watching BBCA is warned that their live viewing will end due to the start of an event.
If the user chooses to allow the event to record the three newscasts start recording and the receiver displays one of the channels being recorded. If the user does not make a choice the default should be to record the three newscasts.

IF THE USER CHOOSES TO SKIP THE EVENT THE EXISTING TWO RECORDINGS CONTINUE ... THE THREE NEWSCASTS ARE LOST.

6:30pm - three tuners in use: one recording ESPN, one recording FOXS1, one recording the three local channels.
Unless the recordings were skipped so the user could continue to watch BBCA. Then the history would show "skipped by user".
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

To WorkAround Dish's Priority Problems:   I NOW "SKIP EVENT" in the Daily Schedule for any program that starts before and runs during the timeframe of my Multi Network Timers using split tuner for Netwrk Morning Shows, Network Evening News Shows and Network Late Night Shows.  Now my shows record like they had been doing for the last two years before Hopper latest software update problems.  I do have some other shows' timers recording during Prime Time.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,331 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Alleged priority problems. I do not believe what you are doing is necessary. But if it works for you it is your receiver, your recordings.

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,458 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the extra testing, James.  That all makes sense, maybe I am remembering a time when the priority didn't work correctly?  I usually don't have conflicts because I resolve them myself by not scheduling conflicts...  I try to not overlap anything so that the conflict resolution of the receiver never comes into play.

That said...

The next thing I wonder about... in this member's case...  If he has PTAT enabled... when does it start for him?  I wonder what happens if he has multiple recordings going on his LiLs at the time PTAT is meant to begin for that night.  Could that cause his recordings of the local news to be skipped because PTAT wants to grab that tuner?  I know PTAT doesn't start at the same time every night...  it starts earlier on weekends, and it starts earlier if a primetime program starts earlier... like if there is a baseball game on FOX that starts at 7pm, then PTAT will start that night at 7pm to grab the beginning of that event.

#27 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

To Stuart Vernon , Moderator, 

Higher Priority shows get the high priority Blue tuner 3 even though they start a half hour later than a lower priority show. 

So I disagree with you statement that lower priority earlier shows can over take high priority shows that start a little later and I have confirmed this by a test. 

From my experience the priority tuner not just checks the start time but also the whole time to the shows end. 

HIGH PRIORITY SHOW TRUMPS LOWER PRIORITY SHOW THAT STARTS EARLIER.

My Prime time is 8PM to 11PM each night and 7PM to 11PM on Sunday and PT is set ON.

There are other recordings going on during prime time but all conflicts are eliminated. 

PT is the equivalent of Priority number 0  priority ahead of number 1 Priority.

My three times that I regularily record networks using the split tuner are

Morning Shows 7AM to 9AM, one goes to 11AM.

Evening News is at 6:30PM to 7PM.

Late Night shows are 11:35PM to 12:35AM.

I Watched Brazil win its match in a shoot out after overtime.  very long and thrilling win for Brazil with final goal by Neymar.

Just verified that the evening news tonight had 3 evening news shows recording on Blue Tuner 3,

and a Yankees vs. Red Sox baseball game on fox, also on tuner 3 (started early by Prime time). 

but tuners 1 and 2 were available.

One thing I noticed is that high priority shows go to Blue tuner 3.

The Green tuner is the second priority tuner when the Blue Tuner 3 is sceduled to record a higher priority show that starts a half hour later.

Do not yet know if Green tuner is tuner 1 or tuner 2.

The Purple tuner is the third priority tuner.

#28 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

to James Long, Super Moderator,

I agree what I am currently doing Should not be necessary.

Such a work around has not been necessary except for the last week, since Monday.

but for the moment it is working.

The possibilites are my Hopper Priority SW is corrupted or less likely that I have faulty Hopper HW.

I am a little hesitant to ask the Dish Hopper Advanced Tech Support to help, becasue the quality of the Dish Hopper ATS has been very poor the last few months.

The ATS supervisors have confirmed eronous info.

I spoke with the Manager of the ATS and passed on the faulty info (like the topic of this thread) received from his team and confirmed by their supervisor. 

The ATS manager he confirmed the info I received was incorrect.  DISH IS NOT GOING TO REDUCE ANY FEATURES OR CAPABILITIES LIKE THE NETWORK SPLIT TURNER RECODING CAPABILITY OUTSIDE OF PRIME TIME.

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,458 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the new test info...  I agree with James that the priority was supposed to work that way, I was just unsure if it did.  I seem to recall some priority problems in the past... but maybe those problems are a thing of the past.  Like I said, I tend to resolve my own conflicts by not scheduling overlapping things... so it has been a while since I let the receiver resolve a conflict due to priority.

All that said...

On the color front... (blue, green purple) I wonder if they got that working right.  For a while I remember there being an issue where sometimes all the recordings would show as green or blue (for example) even though they were going to use different tuners.  It seems like for a while there the colors were not right, but maybe they have that working now as well.

Another possibility, in your situation, is if there is erroneous EPG info for your LiLs sometimes.  There have been times where I would set a timer for something like "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central and then a few days later my timer still was there, but I would no longer see it scheduled to record even though the program was still on the proper time and day.  In those cases I had to delete my timer and create a new one.  I never found out what exactly caused the problem, but if I hadn't created the timers again I definitely would not have recorded the programs I had intended to record.

#30 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Isn't it time for a moderator to correct the title of this thread?

#31 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

Isn't it time for a moderator to correct the title of this thread?

You mean like, If the Hopper had more than 3 Tuners, the Op wouldn't have this issue?

This entire thread describes nothing but an entire recording conflict issue from not enough tuners, No offence but lease another Hopper or super joey for crying out loud.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#32 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Over the last few years of having the Hopper with external Sling and now Hopper with internal Sling, we have both seen programs that mysteriously did not record. 

But the Timer still works and it would record it the next time.

So we have gotten into the habit of duplicating recordings for shows that we can. 

My wife's Brazilian shows show from 5PM to 11PM and at 11PM to 5AM they repeat.  so we record both sets each day. 

If weather interrupts as it tends to do here in South Florida on an island, especially in Summer evenings. 

For me, I watch SyFy, TNT, etc  These tend to run duplicates and I record both. 

To back up Prime Time, Which My wife does not really watch, I record Prime Time on both Hoppers. 

We also record our three groups of Network Programming outside of Prime Time. The morning shows, the evening news and the late night shows, on both Hoppers, which we both watch. 

This reduces the Recoding capacity by almost half, but it solves most of the missing shows missed by one Hopper or another.

To solve capacity problems that might arise, we have multiple external 2TB hard drives which I archive shows I want to save.

I will add to my SOP, deleting and resetting up a Timer that does not record twice in a row.

What is EPG (erronous program guide)?

What is LiLs?

#33 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

to Pat Murphy. 

We have enough Tuners.  We also have, for the last 2 years, two Hoppers with Sling. 

For the Multiple network shows that I record, I now have it set it up that the three shows could record on the three timers or on the Blue split tuner 3. 

I have deleted (SKIP EVENT) the shows that would use the tuner 1 and 2 during the three time periods that have my morning shows, evening news and late night shows.

This thread was initiated because there is a priority problem that is not resolved on my Hopper.

I have high priority shows that did not record, but lower priority shows did record.

the response I got from Dish's Hopper Advance Tech Support and their supervisor told me the info in the topic of this thread.

Both were wrong as I learned by the end of the week.

But the priority problem still exists.

The work around is deleting all programs occurrences (SKIP EVENT) that air during my non prime time that might use the tuner 1 or tuner 2.

The possible software bug that exists on my Hopper is that the subroutine that looks to see if the tuners are available, after they have been assigned, is looking for 3 tuners for the high priority network 3 channel groups*.

if three tuners are free, it goes ahead and records the three network shows, even though it only uses the one blue split tuner 3.  My work around allows me to get through that one bad SW subroutine problem.

* three groups of Network Programming outside of Prime Time: The morning shows, the evening news and the late night shows,

#34 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

I made no comment about priority or any other subject brought up, here. The title of the thread contained an incorrect statement that a recording feature had been removed. Thank you to the moderator that made the amendment.

spam firewall