Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

sound warble/wobble SD channels 722k

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   technerd

technerd

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Wife had dish when I moved in. Ion channel is on a lot (SD only). I notice a lot of times that with steady tones/music, that the sound is "warped" or warbled, or wobbly. Don't know how best to describe. It's just weird.

Is this the receiver, or some strange consequence of re encoding? I hear it across many SD channels, on commercials (including & especially the dish ones).

The service isn't otherwise bad. I'm a long time fan of dish, even though I'm not sure it's worth the cost compared to cox cable. Anyway, all that is for other topics. I'm just curious if anyone else notices this, and knows what the deal might be.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

Would need to know more about the setup to be sure...  Are you talking ION via satellite or OTA?  Dish receivers support  OTA channels, so you could be talking about ION via satellite or OTA.  Also... is audio running through an A/V receiver or sound system?  Your TV or A/V receiver could be experiencing an issue.

Since you specified SD channels...  those have a different audio encoding than HD channels via Dish (with a handful of exceptions)... so it could indicate a problem with how your TV or sound system is handling that particular audio format.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   technerd

technerd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

No ota module. Have heard it on two different TV's, both directly connected via HDMI.
It's similar to a very slightly warped record, or tape deck that's worn out and very slightly fluctuating the speed. Not always noticeable, except on steady tones or single notes. It's not enough to bother me much, it's just very weird.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

Would need to know more about the setup to be sure...  Are you talking ION via satellite or OTA?  Dish receivers support  OTA channels, so you could be talking about ION via satellite or OTA.  Also... is audio running through an A/V receiver or sound system?  Your TV or A/V receiver could be experiencing an issue.

Since you specified SD channels...  those have a different audio encoding than HD channels via Dish (with a handful of exceptions)... so it could indicate a problem with how your TV or sound system is handling that particular audio format.

Do you have a sound bar or surround sound connected? What is the setting for Audio on your DISH receiver? Have you tried to reset the receiver? Please let me know to assist you better.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   technerd

technerd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Default sound settings, no sound bar. Hdmi direct to tv. I almost wonder if there's maybe something in the source.

#6 OFFLINE   technerd

technerd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Receiver was replaced just the other day, as the old one died completely.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

I don't have a 722K... so I can't say... but I don't believe I'm having any audio issues on my 922 or 622 on any of the SD channels.  I run via HDMI to an A/V receiver, though, and not directly to my HDTV usually.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   technerd

technerd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Listen closely to drawn out single notes/tones. Especially the end of dish ads, or music with single notes that last a couple seconds. Compare to HD, it's not there. It's only on SD channels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...