Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Music Censorship

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

This page lists different music censoring incidents starting in the 50s (Which amazes me,i didnt think anything was done like that back then)

http://web.archive.o...idents/80s.html

I linked to the 80s list (My favourite time period)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

The link isn't working but I was a teenager in the 50s and songs with lyrics like Shirley and Lee's Let The Good Times Roll were looked upon unfondly by many groups.

"Come on baby let the good times roll

Come on baby let me thrill your soul

Come on baby let the good times roll

Roll all night long

........."

2H/1J

#3 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

...in Keoku, Iowa ... a church group burns the work of The Carpenters, John Denver, and Perry Como.

^ Say what??? :eek2:

I don't much care what a few fringe whackos or extreme splinter groups seek to do, ban or burn

as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. I am very concerned about what elected

officials and gov't agencies do to try to prevent me from, or punish me and other Americans for

thinking, possessing, doing, seeing or hearing any thing or activity that is legal and protected

by the U.S. Constitution.

• jimmie57 likes this

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

This page lists different music censoring incidents starting in the 50s (Which amazes me,i didnt think anything was done like that back then)

http://web.archive.o...idents/80s.html

I linked to the 80s list (My favourite time period)

I remember those times. Alan Freed was blackballed. Johnny Otis had a hit titled "Willy and the Hand Jive". The lyrics are about a man who became famous for doing a dance with his hands but the mucky mucks labeled it as a song glorifying masturbation. Whenever Elvis appeared on television he could only be televised from the waist up because his pelvic gyrations were considered lewd. But in spite of all the controversy Rock and Roll prevailed. :righton:   

• Rich and jimmie57 like this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

The link isn't working

Hmm Im sorry buddy It should work :)

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,191 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

The link isn't working but I was a teenager in the 50s and songs with lyrics like Shirley and Lee's Let The Good Times Roll were looked upon unfondly by many groups.

I remember my church having a bulletin board with a list right next to the mass schedule. Of course, it had the exact opposite effects on us kids, as it was our go to or must get list.

If I remember right, it was call the Legion of Decency.

Edited by Drucifer, 27 June 2014 - 08:10 PM.

• oldengineer likes this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

I remember my church having a bulletin board with a list right next to the mass schedule. Of course, it had the exact opposite effects on us kids, as it was our go to or must get list.

Same here. The L of D list had movies and music that we were not allowed to watch or listen to and it had the same effect on us as you.

2H/1J

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

This nonsense continued well into the sixties. I can remember the mucky mucks raising Hell over songs like "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" by The Shirelles, "Society's Child" by Janis Ian, "Let's Spend the Night Together" by The Rolling Stones, and "Back Door Man" by The Doors.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,242 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

Why should the Devil have all the good music?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hey, this stuff has been going on for years. For a long, long time you could not hear the lyrics to "Love for Sale" on the radio. Instrumental versions were fine.

OTOH, "Old Man River" did not originally begin with "Colored folk work on the Mississippi."

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,242 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

The lyrics to the Air Force Hymn have alternate words "to be sung if performed on radio or television".

Apparently "a hell of a roar" was not acceptable. Please sing "a terrible roar". :)

Sensitivities have changed over the years.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

And of course, there was 'Louie, Louie' and 'Walk on the Wild side'.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#13 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

I remember back in 1984, INXS released "Original Sin", a song about black man dating a white woman. Many stations in the USA wouldn't play it.

HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

The Legion of Decency was the motion picture censorship arm of the Catholic Church. It had more clout than the movie industry's own Production Code and most state and local censorship boards. The Legion demanded to see scripts of films before production and even then would often want additional cuts to the finished product or the film faced receiving it's "Condemned" rating.

If the studios didn't cooperate, the church would forbid, under penalty of "mortal sin", over 100 million Catholics from seeing the film. The studio chiefs usually buckled at just the thought. When one didn't, the Legion would be very vindictive and forbid all those Catholics from attending any theater that played a "Condemned"  for a period of six months regardless of what was showing. Needless to say, that had an awful lot of theater owners refusing to book it.

Edited by markfp, 05 July 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

And of course, there was 'Louie, Louie' and 'Walk on the Wild side'.

They had everyone that had Louie, Louie or The Lion Sleeps Tonight, playing them over and over again trying to figure out what satanic verse they were talking about.

It was finally decided that the evil verses were only in the mind of the listener.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

The Legion of Decency was the motion picture censorship arm of the Catholic Church. It had more clout than the movie industry's own Production Code and most state and local censorship boards. The Legion demanded to see scripts of films before production and even then would often want additional cuts to the finished product or the film faced receiving it's "Condemned" rating.

If the studios didn't cooperate, the church would forbid, under penalty of "mortal sin", over 100 million Catholics from seeing the film. The studio chiefs usually buckled at just the thought. When one didn't, the Legion would be very vindictive and forbid all those Catholics from attending any theater that played a "Condemned"  for a period of six months regardless of what was showing. Needless to say, that had an awful lot of theater owners refusing to book it.

If the church only knew, it was turning off the next generation of free thinkers.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#17 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the information. It was a concept we kids didn't fully understand, except we knew it'd be exciting to see a condemned film!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,949 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

The Everly Brothers used to introduce Wake up Little Suzie by declaring it had been banned in Boston, and Don Everly continues to make that claim, but whenever he does, he tells of having been told it was banned and then repeating it, so I haven't yet confirmed that it was actually banned:

Wake up little Susie, wake up
We both fell sound asleep
Wake up little Susie and weep
The movie's over, it's four O'clock
And we're in trouble deep

Wake up little Susie, wake up little Susie
Well, what are we gonna tell your mama?
What are we gonna tell your pa?
What are we gonna tell our friends
When they say "Ooh la la"?

Well we told your mama that we'd be in by ten
Well Susie baby looks like we goofed again
We gotta go home

The movie wasn't so hot
It didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep, our goose is cooked
Our reputation is shot

Well, what are we gonna tell your mama?
What are we gonna tell your pa?
What are we gonna tell our friends
When they say "Ooh la la"?

Wake up little Susie
Wake up little Susie
Wake up little Susie

Songwriters
B BRYANT, F BRYANT

Published by
Lyrics © HOUSE OF BRYANT PUBLICATIONS

#   #   #

And Lou Christie's Rhapsody In the Rain was taken off playlists because of suggestive lyrics.

From Wikipedia:

Christie's next release ignited a firestorm of controversy and censorship. Released in the spring of 1966, "Rhapsody In The Rain" featured a haunting melody inspired by Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet", telling of a teenager's memory of his sexual experience in the back seat of a car during a rainstorm as the windshield wipers made a rhythmic sound of "together, together".Later after the romance ends, the wipers seem to say "never, never". Many radio stations banned the song after hearing the opening lyrics:

Baby, the raindrops play for me

A lonely rhapsody 'cause on our first date

We were makin' out in the rain

And in this car our love went much too far

It was exciting as thunder

Tonight I wonder, where you are?

MGM insisted on a re-recorded version that toned down the lyrical content. The re-dubbed lyrics for the "clean" version of the song were changed to:

Baby, the raindrops play for me

A lonely rhapsody 'cause on our first date

We fell in love in the rain

And in this car our love came like a falling star

It was exciting as thunder

Tonight I wonder, where you are?

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 July 2014 - 09:50 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...