Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I Cancel?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

So, 4 days ago I called D* to tell them I was cancelling my service (after 22 years) to go with a phone/cable/internet bundle from Midcontinent. I was mostly doing this for the cash savings (about $100/month for the first year, and about $20/month after that), but the cable company was also offering a Tivo Premiere Q4.

D* said that they now offer bundles as well (more on that later) and they could actually beat Midco by a few dollars plus upgrade me to a Genie/mini system.

We've always used Tivos since our first DVR. I don't have a problem with the D* DVRs, but my wife does...she is so used to the Tivo interface and remote that it's really hard for her to use the other receivers.

So, my wife hates the new Genie (I have a few issues with it as well vs. Tivo)....and come to find out, the ISP that D* is partnered with in my area is DSL only (!?).

My question is, is it too late for me to go back on my deal with D*?? Do I have a leg to stand on since they didn't tell me up front that the ISP was DSL?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

If you already singed the contract, you are too late.  I think the law says "ignorance of the law does not make you innocent" this would apply to the fact that you signed up for something that you did not know what it was.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

DirecTV has a receiver that is based on the Tivo software and remote. Have you asked them about that.

I would make a phone call and see what they will do .

I know when the AT&T people were out to my house the other day that they told me I had 30 days to cancel with no cost to me if I let them put it in and try it out.

Check out the Tivo DirecTV has here :

http://www.directv.c...y/tivo_receiver

Link to the Tivo / DirecTV manual:

http://www.directv.c...etail/a_id/2500

Edited by jimmie57, 26 June 2014 - 09:39 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

....and come to find out, the ISP that D* is partnered with in my area is DSL only (!?).

My question is, is it too late for me to go back on my deal with D*?? Do I have a leg to stand on since they didn't tell me up front that the ISP was DSL?

Did you not think to ask who the Internet provider would be if you bundled with DirecTV? Did you think it would be cable?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#5 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, I already have a D*Tivo.  :)

What if the DSL guys come out to test my line and I get like 1mbs (as is the case with a friend of mine who has DSL)? Can I tell them that's not gonna cut it?

What if it's only 10mbs? That's not acceptable to me, but may be to others (I work a lot from home).

I believe I "signed" the contract over the phone....there was a lot of questions so I'm not really sure.

#6 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Did you not think to ask who the Internet provider would be if you bundled with DirecTV? Did you think it would be cable?

They told me the provider (CentruyLink) but I assumed it was cable...I didn't even know DSL still existed!

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

has anything been installed yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,975 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

They told me the provider (CentruyLink) but I assumed it was cable...I didn't even know DSL still existed!

Caveat emptor!

Since you signed for the Genie installation, you're on the hook. The price of getting off the hook is "up to" $20/month for how ever many months are left in the programming commitment (sometimes called a "contract") when you decide you can't stand the Genie any more.

The happy side is that you probably won't make the same mistake 24 months from now.
  • Rich likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Yes, they came on Monday and installed the Genie + mini. They have not installed phone or internet yet.

I'm willing to take the hit on the Genie, but since the "bundle" deal they gave me is not comparable (DSL vs. cable) to the one I was considering, I think I should be able to back out.

Anyways, I'm going to call D* tonight and see what they say. I was just hoping you guys might have some tips on what I should say to them. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

you can still opt out of the internet bundle. this wont affect your DirecTV commitment however

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Caveat emptor!

Since you signed for the Genie installation, you're on the hook. The price of getting off the hook is "up to" $20/month for how ever many months are left in the programming commitment (sometimes called a "contract") when you decide you can't stand the Genie any more.

The happy side is that you probably won't make the same mistake 24 months from now.

I'm willing to keep the Genie if need be (and pay for the installation + keep the 2 year commitment), I'll use it in the bedroom where I had the (rarely used) HR22 (that was upgraded for Genie). The "bundle" deal is what irks me the most I guess.

#12 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

you can still opt out of the internet bundle. this wont affect your DirecTV commitment however

That's good to hear, I'll let you guys know what they say after I call tonight!

Thanks!

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,975 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm willing to take the hit on the Genie, but since the "bundle" deal they gave me is not comparable (DSL vs. cable) to the one I was considering, I think I should be able to back out.

Signing the installation order signifies acceptance of the contract. That you're disappointed (as most would be), doesn't get much consideration under contract law. If they told you that the carrier would be CenturyLink, they gave you everything you needed to conduct your due diligence to verify suitability to your purpose.

I think peds48 has the right idea. The commitment should be for DIRECTV programming so you should look into what's involved in cancelling CenturyLink and if that works out, talk to Midcontinent about broadband.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

How fast is the DSL supposed to be?  And will that speed be comparable to what you pictured as what you wanted?

If the speed they give you is fine, then who cares if it is DSL or carrier pigeon?  I have 12Mb DSL which is only slightly less than one of the tiers the local cable company offers.  And until a month ago it was working better than the cablemodem did prior to that.  

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#15 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

CenturyLink provides 40 down 20 up over DSL in my area.  (That's right, using phone line.)

#16 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hmmm...well it's supposed to be 20 down, but horror stories from friends and co-workers have got me wondering what it actually will be.

Maybe I'll just wait until they come out to test my line (supposed to be in the next 10 days) to see what I'll get, then make my decision.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,108 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Of course with DSL, distance is a major factor.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Sometimes is better to get 20Mb from a DSL company then 50Mb from a cable co, as with DSL the bandwidth is not shared and as such you have better chances of getting what is advertised

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   The Yeti

The Yeti

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Sometimes is better to get 20Mb from a DSL company then 50Mb from a cable co, as with DSL the bandwidth is not shared and as such you have better chances of getting what is advertised

Well, that's good to know. Maybe I overreacted a bit. :)

I'm just gonna wait and see what they test my line at.

#20 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

If you already singed the contract, you are too late.

Hmmm what would happen if ya just DID NOT PAY THEM??

Protected By... spam firewall...And...