Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie or Not to Genie

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   charbear

charbear

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm sure people have asked 100 times and I've seen a few of the posts (browsed an hour before I posted this) but I have not seen anything real recent. I have two properly functioning HR24's, both hard wired with one connected to a LAN. Only diff is one is slower than the other on menu changes and fast forwards (though both have the same firmware and remote)/ It's time to reup my annual DTV deal and I'm considering moving to one Genie and one mini. Our only issue with the current setup is that we record a lot and often have two shows recording at once on one of the HR24's. 

With a Genie and a mini...will we be able to only record 3 shows at once if we are watching live TV on two TV's or what's the scoop?

Would also appreciate any comments on Genie performance vs the HR24's. Seems like a lot of bitching lately.

Thank you!!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

The Genie has 5 tuners that can be used to watch record lice TV. the mini uses one of those 5 tuners to watch live TV as well. so with both TVs on you will be able to record 3 more shows at the same time. However, I will recommend to keep one of your HR24s instead of getting a mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 323 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I would keep the faster HR24 instead of getting the mini if I were you.  If the Genie goes out, so does the mini (mini takes a tuner from the Genie).  Plus you'll have 7 tuners and more storage.  There's no monthly cost difference, either. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

I would keep the faster HR24 instead of getting the mini if I were you.  If the Genie goes out, so does the mini (mini takes a tuner from the Genie).  Plus you'll have 7 tuners and more storage.  There's no monthly cost difference, either. 

+1

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,219 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:20 AM

Mini does not mean cheaper. Keep your best HR24.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

I was offered a free Genie but I like not being under contract if that is important to you HR24s work quite well.

• damondlt likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#7 OFFLINE   quack05

quack05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

I have a Genie I use as my main, I also have 2 other dvr's which gives me 9 channels to record if i need to.  Keep one of your HR24's and get a Genie you will not be sorry.   They have more storage .

#8 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

If you keep a HR24 with a genie and hit the record button,   does the recording go on the HR24 or genie?

If it records on the HR24 as I would guess,   will the listings for the recordings all be merged together seamlessly and show up in the playlist on the genie on the main TV?

#9 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

If you keep a HR24 with a genie and hit the record button,   does the recording go on the HR24 or genie?

If it records on the HR24 as I would guess,   will the listings for the recordings all be merged together seamlessly and show up in the playlist on the genie on the main TV?

If you hit record from the HR-24 the recording will go to the HR-24, all of the programs will show up on all playlists. I have a HR-44, a HR-24 and 3 H-25's and the genie is much faster than my HR-24 so go with the genie and keep the HR-24

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

If you keep a HR24 with a genie and hit the record button, does the recording go on the HR24 or genie?

If it records on the HR24 as I would guess, will the listings for the recordings all be merged together seamlessly and show up in the playlist on the genie on the main TV?

recordings are made on which ever DVR you press the record key on. And with whole home DVR you will see one unified playlist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

I have two HR-21s and one HR-22. Could I upgrade to the configuration y'all seem to be enamored with? Would I be able to get the desired equipment, or whatever's on the truck?

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

I have two HR-21s and one HR-22. Could I upgrade to the configuration y'all seem to be enamored with? Would I be able to get the desired equipment, or whatever's on the truck?

sure get a Genie to replace your slowest DVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Which one has overall faster menu and scrolling response time?   HR24 or mini client?

I hear ya on wanting to keep the HR24 over a mini client for obvious reasons,  but my HR24 is over 3 years old,   even though it's not a fancy box,  I'd wonder if the mini would have better speed due to it not being such a a date device.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

The mini and the HR24 are about the same speed wise. I would even say that the HR24 might be a tad faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,283 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

I'm sure people have asked 100 times and I've seen a few of the posts (browsed an hour before I posted this) but I have not seen anything real recent. I have two properly functioning HR24's, both hard wired with one connected to a LAN. Only diff is one is slower than the other on menu changes and fast forwards (though both have the same firmware and remote)/ It's time to reup my annual DTV deal and I'm considering moving to one Genie and one mini. Our only issue with the current setup is that we record a lot and often have two shows recording at once on one of the HR24's.

With a Genie and a mini...will we be able to only record 3 shows at once if we are watching live TV on two TV's or what's the scoop?

Would also appreciate any comments on Genie performance vs the HR24's. Seems like a lot of bitching lately.

Thank you!!!

Do you ever miss any shows with your current setup? If not get the genie and mini, it will allow you even more options than your current setup.

As of right now you can only record two stations if you are watching two live, so you'd be able to record one additional channel than you have now if you are watching live TV on both tvs.

Although unless its a big sports event you just have to watch live, I suggest recording everything you watch and watch everything from your playlist.its easier.

Also you'll have one guide, so you always see what is set to record, no running from one unit to the other to see if you set something up to record. There's more reasons, but that's a few big ones.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...