Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Taxi Brooklyn

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

With an awkward title and completely derivative of a couple of recent movies (on purpose), there is not much to say about this show. The premise is wholly unbelievable. Some reviews were unkind.

Personally, I enjoyed it for what it is, and I liked the two lead characters. But then I would probably watch Chyler Leigh read the phone book, as she may be the most adorable person on the planet, admittedly something I have probably said about 8 or 9 other actresses just this year. But her appeal is still undeniable, even though she is not exactly Meryl Streep. I was not impressed by the super-slick greasy ex-hubby, tho.

If you get past the unbelievability of the plot and the wooden cardboard cutouts that populate the copshop, this is still a fun show. It is also enhanced with quick-cut extreme photography and high-contrast video, both of which are not helping matters much and could be done without. The procedural aspect is a little wacky and WTF, but for now, I'm in. True Detective, it is not, but then most things aren't.

But in a season where Under The Dome is the high bar, this show is just fine. It's summer, and this is the TV equivalent of a popcorn movie.

Give it a spin.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'll admit, the show caught my notice as did cutie Chyler Leigh.

She's one of those women who, if she looked at me straight in

the eye, I would probably fall in love again. I guess at this stage

of my life I'm easy. No, wait...

I'm looking forward to counting the ways the Brooklyn taxi can

just magically appear at the right place and in the nick of time.

Of course I will watch and enjoy it for the summer fare that it is.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Part of the story is like Castle. Kate is always looking for who killed her mother, now this girl is looking for who killed her father. From there they are quite different. I put it in my Series.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

It's entertaining Summer fare.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

Part of the story is like Castle. Kate is always looking for who killed her mother, now this girl is looking for who killed her father. From there they are quite different...

"Quite different" indeed. Castle is one of the best procedurals on TV, with a great cast, great plots, great writing beyond the plots, and a very precise production and editing style, including the score, that really gooses the energy and the fun. I am never not in the mood for a show that good, and I hope it runs forever. At the moment off the top, I can't even think of a better show, past or present, in that genre. I feel Castle really raised the bar. Now if we could only get Nathan to stop mumbling all the time, and start to enunciate like a real actor. I guess that is the problem with actors that never cut their teeth in theatre or had to work with primitive sound reinforcement.

Taxi Brooklyn, however, I will not care if it does not last this one burn-off summer, because it really has very few of those attributes. This makes me wonder why I have 14 Castles piled up, yet I am watching TB instead. I really should be letting TB stack up, and burning through the Castles.

But the similarity you point out may be why it feels so derivative, and a little too familiar.

I really am annoyed at the name, which fits no loose grammar style anywhere in the English language. Is it backwards? Reverse the order and Brooklyn Taxi is an even lamer name. Maybe a semicolon after "Taxi"...aw who cares. But I guess if you are going to half-ass a series, half-assing the title is not too far behind.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

I liked it too. Probably because of its off-the-wall scenario.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Week II was a total disaster. Dumb plot and even dumber lines.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Dumb plot and lines, yes. Total disaster, no. I am actually finding the free-form "who cares about trying to be like every other show" attitude a little refreshing.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

I like this one so far. It is funny.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

This probably has the most ludicrous story line ever put on TV, and you can drive semis, not to mention taxis, through the plot holes, but I still like it. The characters are well cast, the dialog is snappy, and the style is unique. Perfect summer fare.

#11 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I watched the first two episodes yesterday and I really enjoyed it!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Anyone still with this one?  I cut it loose after three.  Yeah, Chyler is adorable, but she'll always be Janey Briggs to me (NATM).

I thought it was kind of catchy at first (great auto stunt work, etc) but started getting annoyed at the camera movement and overly close close-ups.  Too much for a big HDTV screen.  Maybe ok if you're watching it on a phone in a non-moving environment.  (I had a similar complaint with ABC's Mixology, but was able somehow to get over it and enjoy that one.) 

I once theorized a possible reason for swooshing and shaking cameras was to try cover up the fact there's no registration errors when shooting w/o physical film.  Some people just think it's too creepy to keep the camera locked down and the lack of even the slightest wiggle ruins the film effect.  Then I think shakey cameras just became artsy-fartsy and "in."  Maybe a little bit ads something to a show like this, but more than that and it's just too much.

Then when they told her Annabelle was the new "godfather," that's all I needed to push me off this storyline for good.

#13 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Yep, I'm still with it. Nice, light summer fare.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
  • jimmie57 likes this

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

Anyone still with this one?  I cut it loose after three.  Yeah, Chyler is adorable, but she'll always be Janey Briggs to me (NATM).

I thought it was kind of catchy at first (great auto stunt work, etc) but started getting annoyed at the camera movement and overly close close-ups.  Too much for a big HDTV screen.  Maybe ok if you're watching it on a phone in a non-moving environment.  (I had a similar complaint with ABC's Mixology, but was able somehow to get over it and enjoy that one.) 

I once theorized a possible reason for swooshing and shaking cameras was to try cover up the fact there's no registration errors when shooting w/o physical film.  Some people just think it's too creepy to keep the camera locked down and the lack of even the slightest wiggle ruins the film effect.  Then I think shakey cameras just became artsy-fartsy and "in."  Maybe a little bit ads something to a show like this, but more than that and it's just too much.

Then when they told her Annabelle was the new "godfather," that's all I needed to push me off this storyline for good.

That does seem like a request to suspend disbelief just a little too much.

I first saw CL in That 80's Show, and she was the only reason that it getting cancelled was a bummer. But "too close up"? I don't think you can shoot CL too close up. Or too often.

What do we mean by "registration errors"? Is that when the film jumps when in the gate? If so, I hardly think that is the effect that anyone is after. Film is historically associated with unwaveringly-solid dolly and crane shots, giving away to solid steadi-cam shots in the 70's, and if the film flutters in the gate that is not by design, that's a reason to shoot the scene over, or for the theatre to have their projectors serviced. Go back to Citizen Kane or The Magnificent Ambersons or anything produced by Joseph Mankeiwicz. THAT is "film look", by definition.

Shaky-cam was an accident. An abortion that someone with no taste or talent liked and emulated. It adds nothing, never has. I blame late-80's MTV for that.

And while the show might be a little over-produced as far as avante-garde shots go, I see little shaky-cam to be concerned about. This show is all about breaking the rules anyway, and about not taking itself, or the rules, too seriously. I would not be surprised to see them break the fourth wall before its all over.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...