Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

well it is happening...i am going to come back

returning to Directv

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tpayne105

tpayne105

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

After two years, I am going to return to Directv.  I went to the FIOS and honestly, it is a pretty good product.  Now though, the cost is exceeding what Directv can offer me.  

I know there are many new options now then when I left just two years ago.  The Genie, for one, is a remarkable product that MOST seem to like. along with the MINI GENIE.  I actually do have 3 types of old receivers with the most "current" one an HR10-250.  I should probably go with the Genie and Mini Genies right?  (3 total TVs in house).  

I am in a contract with FIOS.  Anyone hear of Directv helping to returning customers help offset the cost of breaking a contract to come back?  

Anything else I should know before I make the call?  I still have my dish on the house itself.  I never did have the SWiM   Is that something I need to worry about or will the installer just take care of it?  

I am excited about coming back.  I haven't been to these boards in a couple of years and always enjoyed and learned things on here from all of you. 

I appreciate ANY and ALL input I can get!

Thank you in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

After two years, I am going to return to Directv.  I went to the FIOS and honestly, it is a pretty good product.  Now though, the cost is exceeding what Directv can offer me.  

I know there are many new options now then when I left just two years ago.  The Genie, for one, is a remarkable product that MOST seem to like. along with the MINI GENIE.  I actually do have 3 types of old receivers with the most "current" one an HR10-250.  I should probably go with the Genie and Mini Genies right?  (3 total TVs in house).  

I am in a contract with FIOS.  Anyone hear of Directv helping to returning customers help offset the cost of breaking a contract to come back?  

Anything else I should know before I make the call?  I still have my dish on the house itself.  I never did have the SWiM   Is that something I need to worry about or will the installer just take care of it?  

I am excited about coming back.  I haven't been to these boards in a couple of years and always enjoyed and learned things on here from all of you. 

I appreciate ANY and ALL input I can get!

Thank you in advance.

It's not the televisions, but how many people will be using the system at the same time.

If you live alone, minis will be fine, but have a wife and children with their own television program wants -- minis only become a no-no.

Edited by Drucifer, 27 June 2014 - 07:39 PM.

• Rich likes this

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

A little over two months ago I went to Comcast because of a "great deal".  I should have never left DTV.  A week ago DTV made an offer for me to come back.  I jumped at it.  The offer was free installation, and HR-44 receiver with three mini-genies, a good discount for one year, plus they will pay any termination fees up to 200 dollars.

I was only gone for 2 months, you have been gone for 2 years.  You should be able to call them and resubscribe with free installation and equipment.  You can ask them if they will help cover any termination fees from FIOS, you have nothing to lose.

I am extremely impressed with DTV and their technology

#4 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

You have been gone 2 years, how long is a FIOS contract?

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

DIRECTV doesn't have an extensive record of buying out ETFs.

I encourage you to catch up in the forums so you can ascertain the best configuration for your needs. There's lots of valuable information about what to ask for and what not to ask for when it comes to hardware. If you're not planning on hopping services every 24 months, you need to look at the long term cost.

It may also be educational to see how the other half lives to further solidify your choice.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Harsh, as is often the case, you are incorrect about the ETFs.

D* has made that a standard 'come back' offer for years.  Hell I still get the offers every week.

• sigma1914 and JACKIEGAGA like this

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

D* has made that a standard 'come back' offer for years.  Hell I still get the offers every week.

Do they offer to cover all of your ETF *and* offer new customer programming discounts?

I spoke with someone earlier this week that was assured by DIRECTV's sign-up people that DIRECTV was NOT going to cover any part of their $150 Comcast ETF.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

The standard 'come back' offer I've gotten over the years will cover up to $200 of the ETF and offers new customer programming discounts as well.

But I think you have to call the number on the 'come back' offer and mention some code in it to get the ETF payment.  Just calling D*'s main number doesn't seem to work for it.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,495 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Do they offer to cover all of your ETF *and* offer new customer programming discounts?

I spoke with someone earlier this week that was assured by DIRECTV's sign-up people that DIRECTV was NOT going to cover any part of their $150 Comcast ETF.

Harsh,

As Judge Judy would say, speaking to someone who talked to someone else is hearsay and not admissible as evidence.

Maybe if you'd try DirecTV, you'd have some first hand experience!

• JACKIEGAGA, peds48 and MysteryMan like this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

DIRECTV doesn't have an extensive record of buying out ETFs.

I encourage you to catch up in the forums so you can ascertain the best configuration for your needs.

and perhaps try Dish !  !rolling

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:53 PM

As Judge Judy would say, speaking to someone who talked to someone else is hearsay and not admissible as evidence.

It is certainly more applicable to the TS than the experience of someone they're desperately trying to "winback".

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

It's not the televisions, but how many people will be using the system at the same time.

If you live alone, minis will be fine, but have a wife and children with their own television program wants -- minis only become a no-no.

Minis only ever become a no no if there are ever more than five things on at the same time that are wanted to be viewed at some point by someone in the household. And even then it may be one less mini. But most people would never have a need to have more than five tuners in their home.

#13 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Minis only ever become a no no if there are ever more than five things on at the same time that are wanted to be viewed at some point by someone in the household. And even then it may be one less mini. But most people would never have a need to have more than five tuners in their home.

My max so far been seven recordings, while watching a live baseball game during the evening prime hours. It happen on a Monday 10PM-11PM slot. My Genie was recording ABC, CBS, NBC & PBS while I was watching SNY. My bedroom DVR was recording SyFy & SCI, while my den DVR was recording HGTV.  While it doesn't happen often, it can happen. Actually that night, it could have been 8, but the bedroom DVR pushed backed a TNT recording to its encore showing.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#14 OFFLINE   tpayne105

tpayne105

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hey all

I did it.  I made the call yesterday.  Here is what I got:

Extra package

Sunday Ticket Max

3 months of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz

Genie

2 Genie mini's

Free install  (July 2)

$66.99

They said they couldn't help with the contract issues.

I am ok with all of this....Still very happy to be back

Thanks for all of your input.  I hope it is another good run of at least 13 more years.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

My max so far been seven recordings, while watching a live baseball game during the evening prime hours. It happen on a Monday 10PM-11PM slot. My Genie was recording ABC, CBS, NBC & PBS while I was watching SNY. My bedroom DVR was recording SyFy & SCI, while my den DVR was recording HGTV. While it doesn't happen often, it can happen. Actually that night, it could have been 8, but the bedroom DVR pushed backed a TNT recording to its encore showing.

But in actuality, those last three shows could have been recorded at a different time since they where on stations that repeate their programs throughout the week. And the genie would take care of that on its own, just set up your series manger correctly.

West coasters have even less need for anything beyond a genie since most cable shows are on before 8pm for us. But still the only thing that usually really creates problems is sports. If you record a lot of sports that are on in prime time and watch a lot of network TV, then it becomes more necessary.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hey all

I did it. I made the call yesterday. Here is what I got:

Extra package
Sunday Ticket Max

Genie
2 Genie mini's
Free install (July 2)

$66.99

Thanks for all of your input. I hope it is another good run of at least 13 more years.

Awsome!

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hey all

I did it.  I made the call yesterday.  Here is what I got:

Extra package

Sunday Ticket Max

Genie

2 Genie mini's

Free install  (July 2)

$66.99

Thanks for all of your input.  I hope it is another good run of at least 13 more years.

Post back after you are installed.  tell us your experience 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

But in actuality, those last three shows could have been recorded at a different time since they where on stations that repeated their programs throughout the week. And the genie would take care of that on its own, just set up your series manger correctly.

West coasters have even less need for anything beyond a genie since most cable shows are on before 8pm for us. But still the only thing that usually really creates problems is sports. If you record a lot of sports that are on in prime time and watch a lot of network TV, then it becomes more necessary.

It should, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. And series manager only works right when there are NO ERRORS in the Guide -- that's the weak point.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

I've never once had an issue with this kind of thing myself. Guide data issues are almost always to do with repeats for me, never on catching a second showing of an episode that was missed the first time around due to being to low in priority.

And really, why would anyone bet their life on anything to do with TV much less recording it? :lol:

#20 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

So, if when I make my switch in the next couple of months back to DTV (from Dish) I get the Genie and a couple of minis, and then later find out I would be better off with a Genie, HD DVR, and mini - i.e. later I want to switch a mini for an HDDVR - how hard will that be and how much will they charge? I am feel like there's a decent chance I could get them to throw in the HDDVR in the place of the Mini when I call about coming back, but the two minis sound like the most streamlined approach as long as I don't run into a situation where I wish I had the extra storage and tuners.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...