Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this equipment list correct for upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richk

richk

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hi:  I currently have three HD DVRs (2 H23 and 1 H24), with a dish having a built-in multiswitch and a single wire going out, connected to a 4-way splitter under the house.  I want to replace one of the H23 receivers with a Genie.  Is this what I need to do? 

1)  Replace the LNB on my dish with an SL3 LNB

2)  Run 3 additional cables (plus the one I have) from the dish to an SWM 16 multiswitch

(3 cables for the 3 satellite feeds plus one for ?????)

3)  Replace my existing power inserter with a 29V model

4)  Hook the two SWM 16 to 2 splitters  (1 going to genie, 1 going to the 2 others.

Thank you in advance

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

They'll deal with it, whatever it needs to be to insure that you get acceptable SWiM and DECA performance.

Unless the current splitter configuration fails testing (that it has already passed with your current configuration), it won't likely be changed.

Unless you expect LOS issues, I wouldn't go out of my way to campaign for a 3 slot LNB; I'd ask for the 5 slot unit.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   richk

richk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Thanks.  Why is the 5-slot better?

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks.  Why is the 5-slot better?

I don't know about better but it is different.  It doesn't see the 119° satellite.  There are a couple of channels including a dozen or so music stations that are only on that satellite and you wouldn't be able to receive them.

If you do a search you'll find several threads on the subject.  Some don't think it's a big deal while others don't care that much.

Here's a thread to read.

http://www.dbstalk.c...19#entry3224200

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   richk

richk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Thanks.  It probably doesn't matter to me.  I have always had the 3-LNB setup before and haven't noticed a problem

#6 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

It would only matter in the case of which satellite provides your standard def locals. If they are from the 119, so is your guide data. The wrong dish can cause problems like 920 error, To Be Announced showing up in the guide, etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...