Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hello Old Friends

Genie Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

First off, hello old friends.  I've been out of the loop for some time now so be easy on me.  Been with DirecTV since 2006.  I'm starting to take a serious look at adding to my install of mainly HR20's, 21's and 22's (probably replace one) with one of these Genie's.

Will a Genie play nicely in a world of all older HR series DVRs or am I opening a can of worms?  Will I be able to watch items recorded on the Genie from my other HR DVR's on my network like I can today with the "Whole Home" service?

Thanks for any and all advice.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Yes and Yes.

I installed a Genie earlier this year to accompany my HR20-700, HR20-100, HR24-500.  I had zero problems integrating the Genie into my configuration.  They all play well together.

Ut Prosim

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

First off, hello old friends.  I've been out of the loop for some time now so be easy on me.  Been with DirecTV since 2006.  I'm starting to take a serious look at adding to my install of mainly HR20's, 21's and 22's (probably replace one) with one of these Genie's.

Will a Genie play nicely in a world of all older HR series DVRs or am I opening a can of worms?  Will I be able to watch items recorded on the Genie from my other HR DVR's on my network like I can today with the "Whole Home" service?

Hey stranger!

You better be careful, as if you get an HR44, you'll start hating all the older DVRs. !rolling.

• FHSPSU67 likes this
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Yes, they work great together. Keep in mind you can't go over 8 total tuners without adding a SWIM 16.

Genie = 5 tunes

HRxx = 2 tuners

Hx = 1 tuner.

So, without adding a 16, you can have a Genie, one HD-DVR, and one HD receiver (which how I'm set up)

If you want to keep more than one HD-DVR in addition to the Genie, you will have to have a SWM 16 installed at the time of your appointment. No extra cost as far as I recall, but they do need to know what you are doing ahead of time, or they won't bring the right stuff!

p.s., nice to see you again!

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

A Genie is just like any other DVR. Just mo' tuners and mo' features.

A SWiM-8 has an 8-tuner limit. To keep two of your DVRs, DirecTV will need to swap out your SWiM-8 for a SWiM-16.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Very helpful information, thank you all.  It looks like my biggest issue is going to be my SWM8.

I was going to jump on the Solid Signal deal they had the other day but I missed my opportunity.  I'm not sure if I want to call DirecTV and start the process just yet. :)  I assume they'll come out (or send) a SWM16 if they see my system is out of tuners.  It's been 8+ years since DirecTV has been to my home so I don't even remember the process. :)

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#7 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hey stranger!

You better be careful, as if you get an HR44, you'll start hating all the older DVRs. !rolling.

How true....how true... :biggthump

Welcome back R E 

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Very helpful information, thank you all.  It looks like my biggest issue is going to be my SWM8.

I was going to jump on the Solid Signal deal they had the other day but I missed my opportunity.  I'm not sure if I want to call DirecTV and start the process just yet. :)  I assume they'll come out (or send) a SWM16 if they see my system is out of tuners.  It's been 8+ years since DirecTV has been to my home so I don't even remember the process. :)

Yes...the SWiM16 will get you all sorts of expansion.

You can likely get them to install one if you don't have enough tuners...yes....

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

I assume they'll come out (or send) a SWM16 if they see my system is out of tuners.  

They will gladly install it but they def will not send it

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, Upgrade

spam firewall